Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

actual real commercial surf tab retrofit kits

shawndoggy

Full factory ballast and 500 in each rear locker ... Not much at all. .... 750 in each rear locker is perfect..... 1100 in each is huge but does not push any harder then the 750... I prefer 750 in each rear locker best push and best economy. Although 500 in each is pretty sick too

Thanks. I have an 2003, 23' wakesetter LSV with the 3 bag MLS manual wedge. 200lbs hard tank in each locker and 500lbs in the ski locker, plus the manual wedge.

How would you see your system working with my current set up and

Would I need to bring you the boat or do you guys travel (coming from ATL)?

• 4 months later...

They have a patent on Gen 2 but not trim tabs in general

Malibu was smart and basically patented anything that protrudes from the side of the boat to create a surf wave.

hence, the lawsuit with nautique.

I actually talked with Mike Brendel about this. MB was very careful in HOW they could make their surf system and get around Malibu's patent. They had to have it work a certain way and deploy the tab in a certain way. He said they had some very expensive lawyers working on it for weeks.

As you can see though, there is no problem with anything trim tab-ish. Supra has one. Moomba. Mastercraft. Trim tabs have been around forever. you just can't make one identical to Gen 2 which these clearly are not. I'm sure the designers were very cognizant of that when they built it

This is why my opinion is companies are better off offering reasonable royalty fees to their competitors than using their patents to own an exclusive market. Inevitably your competitors will spend money on design around and you lose your competitive advantage. I think companies are better off encouraging the market to adopt their solution, collect a reasonable royalty, and market your solution as "the original surf gate." Just my opinion--there are exceptions to every rule.

Edited by Cory

So is there no benefit to running the wedge if using the gosurfassist?

I have an 08 LSV that im considering retrofitting these tabs on. I have the wickedwake tabs and they are decent, but not as good as my listed wave. I just don't enjoy having to manually put them on and off. This wave looks good, but I would love to hear from someone with an LSV that has actually put this on for an honest comparison to a listed wave. I usually run Full stock ballast minus non surf side, + 1100 lbs rear locker surf side 300 in the bow on the surf side and 300 on the seat surf side. Wedge almost all the way down. Throws a mean wake but most people have trouble driving the boat like that, taking waves etc. It would be great to get a surfgate comparison in size shape and push.

It's odd that if I was in Texas I can get it installed for 4k, but wakemakers charges 4k to send me the kit for self install... Is my time and labor worth nothing lol?

I have an 08 LSV that im considering retrofitting these tabs on. I have the wickedwake tabs and they are decent, but not as good as my listed wave. I just don't enjoy having to manually put them on and off. This wave looks good, but I would love to hear from someone with an LSV that has actually put this on for an honest comparison to a listed wave. I usually run Full stock ballast minus non surf side, + 1100 lbs rear locker surf side 300 in the bow on the surf side and 300 on the seat surf side. Wedge almost all the way down. Throws a mean wake but most people have trouble driving the boat like that, taking waves etc. It would be great to get a surfgate comparison in size shape and push.

It's odd that if I was in Texas I can get it installed for 4k, but wakemakers charges 4k to send me the kit for self install... Is my time and labor worth nothing lol?

Disclaimer, I'm the designer of the control system, so anything I say about the tabs is just my personal opinion. Tab based systems like GSA or MC Gen II generate lift when deployed. The Wedge generates downforce. Kinda fighting each other. IMO you more than make up for the wedge by being able to weight evenly and filling both sides to the max. Not to mention the benefit of more comfort behind the wheel for you and/or guest drivers. Plus RPM's drop when not using the wedge.

I've ridden a surf gate boat and like the wave with it as well. It is different. I don't want to speak for anyone or make claims given I don't own a Malibu. Maybe the owner of the boat in the video is a member and can chime in with his honest feedback. I think there are other BU's in the pipeline as well. I've seen a lot of boats now with GSA and am very impressed with the result on the 23 LSV.

• 2 weeks later...

The Green and Black 07 LSV in the video with Go Surf Assist belongs to me. The platform has not been modified at this point.

My listed set up was:

All stock full except rear port (goofy riders)

750 in rear

370 under side seat (removed cooler)

400 on top of seat

About 250 in bow with custom sac if not enough people

10.6 mph, wedge two clicks up from bottom

With GSA

All stock full

750's in rear corners

370's under side seats

300 lbs of lead moved around as needed (usually bow)

11.2 mph, wedge 3/4 way up. Do not run wedge for daughter and wife..................Still playing around to determine the need.

The wake with GSA is much longer, cleaner and has more push. The more people you have in the boat the better the wake gets, however too many in the rear will cause the platform to wash the wake out. The addition of the lead was the remedy for this although I am considering raising the platform a few inches to enable more adjustability of the tabs. You can really dial your wake in for different styles and levels of rider. I mellow the wake out quite a bit for my 8 year old daughter.

We ride goofy but the regular side is very close in comparison. Just started doing transfers this past weekend so will start dialing it in more as well.

Bottom line is I am VERY HAPPY with the system

Surf wake is much better than MY listed set up

Much easier for wife to drive than listed boat.

Had some regular riders with me this past weekend.................No problem, press surf left.

Install was super clean, top notch. I am 100% satisfied

Ryan at GSA is stand up guy. Customer service and communication with him has been second to none!

Will try to get some pictures and video (if I can figure out how) up soon. Baseball and soccer are over for the summer so we will have more time to play :):)

Disclaimer: Have not surfed a gated Malibu yet. Do surf a X30 gen 2 regularly.....Like the X-30 a lot buts let's just say I am very happy now with my boat, the envy is gone that I had for my buddy in the X-30.

DJ, PM me if you have any questions. Would be glad to visit with you about the system.

• Like 3

Thanks for the information. Im thinking about spending the coin on the system, but I'm gonna call the developers and see what they say about raising the swim platform. I'll hit you up on PM with more questions as they come up.

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

The Green and Black 07 LSV in the video with Go Surf Assist belongs to me. The platform has not been modified at this point.

My listed set up was:

All stock full except rear port (goofy riders)

750 in rear

370 under side seat (removed cooler)

400 on top of seat

About 250 in bow with custom sac if not enough people

10.6 mph, wedge two clicks up from bottom

With GSA

All stock full

750's in rear corners

370's under side seats

300 lbs of lead moved around as needed (usually bow)

11.2 mph, wedge 3/4 way up. Do not run wedge for daughter and wife..................Still playing around to determine the need.

The wake with GSA is much longer, cleaner and has more push. The more people you have in the boat the better the wake gets, however too many in the rear will cause the platform to wash the wake out. The addition of the lead was the remedy for this although I am considering raising the platform a few inches to enable more adjustability of the tabs. You can really dial your wake in for different styles and levels of rider. I mellow the wake out quite a bit for my 8 year old daughter.

We ride goofy but the regular side is very close in comparison. Just started doing transfers this past weekend so will start dialing it in more as well.

Bottom line is I am VERY HAPPY with the system

Surf wake is much better than MY listed set up

Much easier for wife to drive than listed boat.

Had some regular riders with me this past weekend.................No problem, press surf left.

Install was super clean, top notch. I am 100% satisfied

Ryan at GSA is stand up guy. Customer service and communication with him has been second to none!

Will try to get some pictures and video (if I can figure out how) up soon. Baseball and soccer are over for the summer so we will have more time to play :):)

Disclaimer: Have not surfed a gated Malibu yet. Do surf a X30 gen 2 regularly.....Like the X-30 a lot buts let's just say I am very happy now with my boat, the envy is gone that I had for my buddy in the X-30.

DJ, PM me if you have any questions. Would be glad to visit with you about the system.

I'm about to pull the trigger and drop the 4grand for the Go Surf. Did you install the system yourself?

I'm about to pull the trigger and drop the 4grand for the Go Surf. Did you install the system yourself?

I did not. Had Ryan at GSA do the install since I am only 4 hours away. Mine was the first Malibu these were installed on so I wanted to make sure it was done right. If you are somewhat handy it should not be to difficult of a project.

Good luck. You will not be disappointed with the system.

It looks like an awesome product and install. Do you feel the turnbuckled adjustable end piece is a must? Im on the fence about making my own and using Marti Archers controller or dropping the 4 grand for the complete set-up.

Does the controller you have use GPS for speed control or does it still use the paddle wheel?

Does it automatically deploy and retract at min and max speeds?

Does it save your optimum deploymet setting after retracting or going from side to side, or do you have to adjust every time you deploy?

It looks like an awesome product and install. Do you feel the turnbuckled adjustable end piece is a must? Im on the fence about making my own and using Marti Archers controller or dropping the 4 grand for the complete set-up.

Does the controller you have use GPS for speed control or does it still use the paddle wheel?

Does it automatically deploy and retract at min and max speeds?

Does it save your optimum deploymet setting after retracting or going from side to side, or do you have to adjust every time you deploy?

Don't quote me on my statements:

• Does the controller you have use GPS for speed control or does it still use the paddle wheel?
    • ​has its own gps system
  • Does it automatically deploy and retract at min and max speeds
    • ​Yes
  • Do you feel the turnbuckled adjustable end piece is a must?
    • ​From my understanding, the second tab is causing the wave convergence hydraulically.
  • Im on the fence about making my own and using Marti Archers controller or dropping the 4 grand for the complete set-up.
    • ​I was thinking the same also,, However, go surf tabs are tuned specifically to the hull, this would require time and effort for r&d that I don't want to do... You could do away with the second tab and basically have the Mastercraft gen surftabs... but I don't believe you will get as well as a wake..
  • 6 months later...

Evenly weight the boat. I put 2-1100lb bag in each locker with reversible pumps. It is awesome. So worth it.

Takes less than 2seconds to change the from goofy to normal and then just dial it in based on lake conditions to clean up the curl

Edited by Living the Dream