Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

actual real commercial surf tab retrofit kits

shawndoggy

Pricing info (copied from team talk... Unverified):

3500 gets you the lit installed

3k gets you the full kit with a remote for switchovers

tabs only 1900

I can partially confirm from an email I just got. 3500 full install is the only option they offer for my boat for some reason. Design is very nice...might be out of budget for us though.

Edited by MotoGPTy
martinarcher

not as fancy as yours, but yes, there's a control system in the works.

Thanks Shawn....I missed the video the first time around. Not sure if you added it later or it didn't load through the work proxy. Based on the price above you could use my controller with their tabs or use their controller. Someone needs to through these on a SG boat and see what happens. :whistle: They would add some list to the hull like the gen2 system does. Could make for a pretty neat set up.

So the "installed" option, what does that mean? They fly to you with parts and install it on your boat? You ship your boat to them? Cool option but that sounds brutal either way.

Thanks Shawn....I missed the video the first time around. Not sure if you added it later or it didn't load through the work proxy. Based on the price above you could use my controller with their tabs or use their controller. Someone needs to through these on a SG boat and see what happens. :whistle: They would add some list to the hull like the gen2 system does. Could make for a pretty neat set up.

So the "installed" option, what does that mean? They fly to you with parts and install it on your boat? You ship your boat to them? Cool option but that sounds brutal either way.

Maybe they pay a shop local to you to install them?

I like when they say there is a lot of science and technology went into the design but he won't get into that. Any CFD models we should be aware of? Certainly more trial and error. I fully support guys going out there and trying to make things better or different... the innovative spirit is alive... but don't call it something it isn't.

The flow tab part would be just as effective without the added complexity of a two tiered design IMHO... having a manually adjustable trailing tab is a good idea for dialing in but at the speeds we surf the force of redirecting the water outboard is minuscule compared to the displaced volume and weight of water over the whole boat and the volume is so low it wouldn't affect convergence.

I am one of those weird engineers that wants to keep things simple vs. adding more features.

I'm sure you are familiar with finite element analysts then? We have a very complex computer and very complicated software that helped us develop the tabs .... The double layer makes a huge difference..... Extra surface area for lift... And when deploying the back down you start dealing with deflection and changing the way the water flows through layers..... The reason we're not getting into to much detail is most people don't understand what goes into something like this ..... They work that's all they want to know ... .... The tabs are not even close to the same with out the rear portion of the tab on there ..... If they were we would not have put it on there .... They add to the build cost .... But worth it !

Ryan - Welcome to the Crew!

Thank you ..... We have become good friends with Rusty at water ski America.... And ride with those guys every now and then and must say that that malibu's surf system is sweet very fun wave to ride !

What you said!! I wonder what would happen if you paired a tab with surf gate?? Might be malibus way of making it "adjustable" and being able to shape the wave more. I wonder if they are checking into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how effective those would be on a flatter hull boat like a Malibu.

Seems the tab systems tend to favor the V hulls as they roll and lean easier.

Yes v hulls tend to roll easier but that but that's not what were trying to do here but yes the hulls are very similar. (X45) only a couple of degrees different referring to the dead rise at the transom only here

What you said!! I wonder what would happen if you paired a tab with surf gate?? Might be malibus way of making it "adjustable" and being able to shape the wave more. I wonder if they are checking into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was kind of wondering that myself. I'm a little irritated these came out because I've been fabing my own surf gate with the assistance of the write up by bmcmalibu and now you can just buy a kit! Of course they are totally different concepts and I like to build my own stuff anyway, but when someone with surf gate takes a test plunge and throws these on their boat, I'd love to see the result!

I was kind of wondering that myself. I'm a little irritated these came out because I've been fabing my own surf gate with the assistance of the write up by bmcmalibu and now you can just buy a kit! Of course they are totally different concepts and I like to build my own stuff anyway, but when someone with surf gate takes a test plunge and throws these on their boat, I'd love to see the result!

Would you pay 3500 for one? From what I've seen from others who have made a ghetto gate, they usually don't have more than a few hundred into them.

Well, it depends how you look at it. Mine aren't ghetto gates. I made one last year to use for the season but the new ones are true surf gate style with the actuators, Stainless steel bracketry, control system, wireless remote, and I'll be building a new swim deck to go along with it...so I'll probably have between 1500 and 2500 in it I'm sure. ..price you pay for hobbies right?

• Like 1

I for one will not be buying any gate in the $3,000+ price point. To me that is out of whack. Where I live that is a semesters college tuition.

it's not out of line with what the option costs from MB, Malibu, Nautique, Supra, etc. For Mastercrafts that can be retrofitted it's actually a bargain (I think it's something like $5k?).

And you should be thankful that your state government keeps your college tuition so low!

• Like 2

That's good. I think if they have at least actuation with a surf speed preset it should be successful. Now if they need wireless transfer help just drop me a line. :lol:

The tabs sure look well built!

Thanks, I'll let you cover the high-end side of the controller market ;-) I have built in GPS and some automation like launch control and auto-retract for over speed along with few other tricks, but nowhere near as fancy as yours. Maybe BLE beacon and mobile app down the road. I'm working on fabrication right now given the software is done and tested on the breadboard prototype. Aiming to keep it under $500 retail.
ahopkins22LSV

I for one will not be buying any gate in the $3,000+ price point. To me that is out of whack. Where I live that is a semesters college tuition.

You are extremely lucky that 3k is a semester. That's 3-4 credit hours here...

better buy it now!

Anyway glad to see my boat won't be depreciating eh Tall Red? :whistle::biggrin:

No but seriously if your thinking the only reason to get a new boat is to get a surf system this type of thing is CHEAP by comparison.

Would this not come under the same patent war that Malibu is having with Nautique over NSS?

Wouldn't think so. If anything I would think that Bennet or Nauticus would be the ones after them since it is a variation on a trim tab not a variation on surf gate.

Well I guess look at it as how it functions and how it will benefit you and your crew. Think about a new ballast system, probably looking at 1500 or more if you get 3 new pumps and 3 new bags if you were doing each locker and center....