Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

actual real commercial surf tab retrofit kits

shawndoggy

Interesting, I stopped by Wakemakers earlier this week while in Bend and had been thinking they should work on developing an aftermarket surfgate kit with all the parts one would need.

These guys need some video production assistance, and they should at least show a few clips of the resulting waves since they've done "extensive" testing of their tabs kit.

Interesting, I stopped by Wakemakers earlier this week while in Bend and had been thinking they should work on developing an aftermarket surfgate kit with all the parts one would need.

These guys need some video production assistance, and they should at least show a few clips of the resulting waves since they've done "extensive" testing of their tabs kit.

I've talked to both Ryan and wake makers. No joke it sounds like they are working together already!

I've talked to both Ryan and wake makers. No joke it sounds like they are working together already!

MB really needs to buy these tabs (top "action" vid is from an MB... and is putting out a much better wave than the factory switch kit).

Edited by shawndoggy

I like when they say there is a lot of science and technology went into the design but he won't get into that. Any CFD models we should be aware of? Certainly more trial and error. I fully support guys going out there and trying to make things better or different... the innovative spirit is alive... but don't call it something it isn't.

The flow tab part would be just as effective without the added complexity of a two tiered design IMHO... having a manually adjustable trailing tab is a good idea for dialing in but at the speeds we surf the force of redirecting the water outboard is minuscule compared to the displaced volume and weight of water over the whole boat and the volume is so low it wouldn't affect convergence.

I am one of those weird engineers that wants to keep things simple vs. adding more features.

He isn't the engineer. He hired one. One thing I remember when speaking to Ryan is that he says not only do they work well but they also help with reducing bow rise

The large main tab absolutely will help with bow rise.... the two tiered design of the trailing tab is the added complexity that I am questioning. I think the trailing tab is a good idea for adjusting just not adding additional complexity. The 2 tier trailing tab looks like a better mousetrap vs. a step change design.

Looks good, but do you really want to be the test subject for a brand new product?? I'm waiting to see what happens before I even entertain adding this.

martinarcher

not as fancy as yours, but yes, there's a control system.

That's good. I think if they have at least actuation with a surf speed preset it should be successful. Now if they need wireless transfer help just drop me a line. :lol:

The tabs sure look well built!

i wonder what the turnbuckle tip part will do to the wakeboard wake if you tweak it down for the surf wave? Seems like it might drag the wake even if the tab is retracted?

i wonder what the turnbuckle tip part will do to the wakeboard wake if you tweak it down for the surf wave? Seems like it might drag the wake even if the tab is retracted?

It could drag if dialed down too much. Since none of the OEM surf tabs have the extra movable tips, this might be a bit of overengineering.

ahopkins22LSV

It could drag if dialed down too much. Since none of the OEM surf tabs have the extra movable tips, this might be a bit of overengineering.

MC's GenII has tabs that face downward about 1-2". I am sure that they move up out of the way enough though.

martinarcher

Good point. I wouldn't want any part of it in the water for boarding if you like your fuel consumption to be reasonable. I bet if you get it above a 10 degree positive angle it would be out of the water.

These guys have a good idea going if they can work out some of the details since the vast majority of wake boats on the water don't have surf tabs or gates.

This may be a dumb question but is it possilble to install this without messing with the rear hard ballast tanks, or reinforcing the inside of the transom?