Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Budget Stereo Upgrades

Slayer

So, after debating with myself for a while, I ended up getting the Polk db651. The primary driving force for this was price. At the end of the day, with the way things are looking, I'll have under $600 into the upgrade, and I'm good with that.

DB651 will take a licking and keep on ticking. Had them in my 06, still going strong after 800 + hours.

• Like 2

Nice! Those will be a major improvement

No joke about that. I'm really looking forward to getting this done. Time to start stalking Shawndoggy threads so I can figure out what the heck I'm doing.

All that's left now is a new transom remote and figure out what to do with my amp situation. Either use the Rockford 400-4 and add a sub amp, or use the Rockford in the pontoon and buy a PPI900.5 for the RLXI......not sure yet.

You stalk shawndoggy. I'll stalk you, lol. I was looking at the website with the ppi for $200. All out of stock. But I found them on ebay for the same price. Price and simplicity seems hard to beat

^^^Lol.....Yeah...I know. I just don't know that it's worth spending an additional $100 if I don't have to. I could move the RF400-4 to the pontoon and buy a powered sub, then get the PPI900.5 for the Bu. It would make for a cleaner installation in the BU.

ahopkins22LSV

^^^Lol.....Yeah...I know. I just don't know that it's worth spending an additional $100 if I don't have to. I could move the RF400-4 to the pontoon and buy a powered sub, then get the PPI900.5 for the Bu. It would make for a cleaner installation in the BU.

IMO that is what I would do.

You stalk shawndoggy. I'll stalk you, lol. I was looking at the website with the ppi for $200. All out of stock. But I found them on ebay for the same price. Price and simplicity seems hard to beat

It is still showing as in stock at www.sonicelectronix.com. I know they are advertising for 219.99 but if you call them they will give you 10% off.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Ok....I have nearly all I need to start the installation. Due to work and a vacation in a week and a half, I'm not going to get into this for a few more weeks. I have the sub, speakers, and the new transom remote. Still not sure what to do on the amp. I'm leaning more and more toward getting a PPI900.5 or something and putting the RF in the pontoon with a powered bazooka. I think it will be an easier, more clean installation in the LXI. Still thinking about the sub enclosure too. I could buy one and if it takes a crap in a season, I'm not out much money. Also, I'm planning on stopping by a local shop that has very good reviews to see what they could do for how much on the installation and sub box. I really don't have a clue as to what the heck I'm doing with a stereo installation......