Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What is it about axis?

kwebster1

I disagree. They can still build a cheap plastic dash that looks good, ala vride.

Every Vride dash I've ever seen has been vinyl wrapped and stitched and had 3 pieces of billet trim. Aside from just production costs, where axis really saves money is the labor building. The dash pods are one piece and take very little time to install.

• Like 1

We strongly considered a '15 t23 vs a '14 LSV closeout. Wife doesn't like pickle fork so the A series was not considered.

For me, I don't really care if the dash is analog or digital, or what the steering wheel looks like, or the tower. I like the outside styling of both the axis and malibu. I am confident the wake and wave of both is phenomenal. What I don't like about the axis is the floating wedge, nontransferable warranty, open/vented sides to the storage under seats. My wife positively did not like the fit and finish of the axis. The price diff in our decision was around 10k, we went LSV, but the timing of our purchase came in to play. We were getting priced the t23 before the official announcement, so it was not heavily reduced, maybe 5% and the lsv was marked way down. if I was buying in a year from now, comparing a t23 and a lsv close out and the diff was closer to 20k, I would probably go t23. Not sure that is a realistic number, but 20k diff is what it would take for me to switch and since malibu's have larger margins, not sure that diff would ever happen

Edited by augie09

I liked the T22 better than I thought I would. A lot better actually.

However the dash could have been designed (aesthetically) better and still been plastic.

What I didn't care for was the surf wave. Admittedly it might not have been dialed but we tried different set ups for a couple hours and it didn't get better.

That was my issue was the surf wave. I was expecting amazing things to be behind a boat with a true surf gate. We spent 3 hours moving ballasts and still didn't like it as much as the wave behind my 2000 lsv with a ghetto fabulous home made redneck surf gate. His either threw you into the back of the boat or had no push. I think we all understand what axis is doing by not being Malibu for cost reasons. But hopefully the t23 has a much better hull so I can buy a used one in 10 years haha

Can any axis owners chime in on this? Do you feel your boat wears less or is easier to keep clean?

Love my Axis A22. I have almost no wear and right at 200hr. However, I do spend the time when we get back from the river wiping down seats and washing/hand drying boat. So maybe im the exception not the rule, but I have been very pleased with my axis thus far. I got a great deal, great boat and I know the dash is simple but I really welcome that when it comes to troubleshooting electrical/switch issues.

• Like 2

If they "fix" the dash (of which there is nothing to fix) and added PW, then you'd be in a malibu!

I don't know whats so hard for some people to accept, its not supposed to be a Malibu! It's a cheaper alternative to good if not great performance. You want more "form", get a bu. You want more "function", get a malibu. Sheesh. As an axis customer, I don't WANT those things. I want exactly what it provides. If I wanted more I'd look at other options.

Adding PW2 will not make it a Malibu any more than adding SG did.

And I didn't say they had to add a 12" touch screen to the dash... or any screen for that matter. My comments were based more on design, not materials... they can use all the plastic they want. All I'm asking is that they stop trying to make it look like something out of the movie Aliens.

Even with those two changes it will still be an Axis (i.e. won't look or feel anything like a Bu)

We strongly considered a '15 t23 vs a '14 LSV closeout. Wife doesn't like pickle fork so the A series was not considered.

For me, I don't really care if the dash is analog or digital, or what the steering wheel looks like, or the tower. I like the outside styling of both the axis and malibu. I am confident the wake and wave of both is phenomenal. What I don't like about the axis is the floating wedge, nontransferable warranty, open/vented sides to the storage under seats. My wife positively did not like the fit and finish of the axis. The price diff in our decision was around 10k, we went LSV, but the timing of our purchase came in to play. We were getting priced the t23 before the official announcement, so it was not heavily reduced, maybe 5% and the lsv was marked way down. if I was buying in a year from now, comparing a t23 and a lsv close out and the diff was closer to 20k, I would probably go t23. Not sure that is a realistic number, but 20k diff is what it would take for me to switch and since malibu's have larger margins, not sure that diff would ever happen

I'd guess the difference is right at that (20k)

If they would have put surf gate on a vride to me that would have been the better cheaper alternative to coming out with axis. Keep the same quality malibu is know for just don't have the fancy dash keep the ride dash with toggle switches.

I love my a22. I have a salt series and it is by far, the easiest boat to clean and to keep clean. I have been told the exact opposite about looking cheap. But maybe it's because I have the tricked out trailer, all white boat and white tower. I do have to say I get most of the looks but that's probably from the huge LF/ Monster logo on the side but hey, if I get great compliments while sitting next to new xstar, that's kind of cool.

Anyway, I bought the boat for pure function. It had the salt package, the ls3, about 5k of ballast and was purchased for less than a vride. Now as far as the wake, no malibu can beat the 3500lbs of HIDDEN ballast. Then When I fill up an extra 1500 in the boat, the wake is out of this world. It's really just a wakeboarders boat.

I'm actually kind of glad axis isn't the boat to show off how expensive it is. You won't see any rich guys, who are clueless about boarding, out cruising around the lake in their brand new axis. Everytime I see another axis, they are using it for its intended purpose and are generally people who care more about the sports side of things. Also, most people that I know that have an axis recently upgraded from an older wake boat that they had for years and years. I really respect that. There not the type that thinks "my old 2013 MXZ has 100hrs so I need a new one."

But to tell you guys the truth, if I had the money, I probably would by another axis way before a malibu again, simply Becuase I run in salt 99% of the time.

• Like 2

Looks too much like the dash on a $8K UTV...

Is there such a thing as an 8k sxs. But it's not that bad

I still say the axis dash look better than centurion, and they have lcd screens

SV233_6Feature_3.jpg

Edited by wakebrdr94
  • Like 2

If they would have put surf gate on a vride to me that would have been the better cheaper alternative to coming out with axis. Keep the same quality malibu is know for just don't have the fancy dash keep the ride dash with toggle switches.

Several reasons that wouldn't work, for one, branding of Axis allows Malibu to move "upmarket". Secondly, three piece designs are going away. In fact, all new models are two piece which started with axis. They're not going to continue to make a more expensive labor intensive 3 piece design for of all things, the cheapest boat they make.

Every Vride dash I've ever seen has been vinyl wrapped and stitched and had 3 pieces of billet trim. Aside from just production costs, where axis really saves money is the labor building. The dash pods are one piece and take very little time to install.

That doesn't mean that a more tasteful 1 piece pod couldn't be produced. There are guys with that could do a better job right here on this forum. A couple hours on a computer.

That doesn't mean that a more tasteful 1 piece pod couldn't be produced. There are guys with that could do a better job right here on this forum. A couple hours on a computer.

Taste isn't uniform. Personally, I love the dash. And personally, I'm over the Vride dash which has been around since what, 2003? Thats just a matter of preference. Given the demo Axis is after, I totally understand the edginess of it.

• Like 1

I love my a22. I have a salt series and it is by far, the easiest boat to clean and to keep clean. I have been told the exact opposite about looking cheap. But maybe it's because I have the tricked out trailer, all white boat and white tower. I do have to say I get most of the looks but that's probably from the huge LF/ Monster logo on the side but hey, if I get great compliments while sitting next to new xstar, that's kind of cool.

Anyway, I bought the boat for pure function. It had the salt package, the ls3, about 5k of ballast and was purchased for less than a vride. Now as far as the wake, no malibu can beat the 3500lbs of HIDDEN ballast. Then When I fill up an extra 1500 in the boat, the wake is out of this world. It's really just a wakeboarders boat.

I'm actually kind of glad axis isn't the boat to show off how expensive it is. You won't see any rich guys, who are clueless about boarding, out cruising around the lake in their brand new axis. Everytime I see another axis, they are using it for its intended purpose and are generally people who care more about the sports side of things. Also, most people that I know that have an axis recently upgraded from an older wake boat that they had for years and years. I really respect that. There not the type that thinks "my old 2013 MXZ has 100hrs so I need a new one."

But to tell you guys the truth, if I had the money, I probably would by another axis way before a malibu again, simply Becuase I run in salt 99% of the time.

I believe that was the original marketing slogan for Axis and why they started the line; A wake boat built by wakeboarders for wakeboarders. Thats how it is on our lake. A TON of malibu's that just sit around all day and never a wakeboarder behind the boat. The few Axis boats, always pulling someone. BTW, I am not saying that they dont deserve to have a $100k malibu since they dont use it for the intended purpose, because they can do whatever they want since its their money. Im just saying most folks who buy the Axis are buying it because they are getting a first class wake for 30-40% lower pricing of a brand new bu. I personally had my 2000 VLX for 5-6 years before upgrading to our 2014 A22. We got the new VLX wake at the A22 price. Granted we didnt get the bells and whistles of a new VLX, but a lot of that stuff didnt matter to us. Its all relative to what you want, what you need, and what youre willing to spend to get it.

Edited by ac88926
  • Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

Axis is the same quality Malibu is. If you don't believe it than go sit in one. The design of the interior is more simplistic which could give the impression of it being cheap. Also the new Axis hulls are designed to work with surf gate. The v Ride utilized older hulls that were no longer in production to the current model of VLX / LSV.

• Like 3

V-Ride is the watered down loaded Malibu. Axis is an Axis. The A-Series came out before the MXZ picklefork so can't say Axis copied Malibu there. Axis, all series, is a great boat dollar for dollar for performance. In the last 2yrs, especially 2014 (A24 model and T-Series plus surfgate for all models) and new hulls for 2015 and T-23, Axis is a major player on it's own right.

Axis is the same quality Malibu is. If you don't believe it than go sit in one. The design of the interior is more simplistic which could give the impression of it being cheap. Also the new Axis hulls are designed to work with surf gate. The v Ride utilized older hulls that were no longer in production to the current model of VLX / LSV.

you're right...I don't believe it :Tease3:

• Like 3

Speaking of Axis pics... I stumbled on this one while searching for the ones above. If this isn't the coolest boat advertisement pic, I don't know what is...

That makes my knees wobble just looking at it! Is she going to make it over that shelf??

Unknown-2.jpeg

The safety guy in me wants to tell her to wear a life jacket, although I am sure she looks better without. People die jumping off cliffs every year. They usually don't die on impact, but a couple hours on the bottom of the lake does the job. With life jackets, almost all of them would live.

Policing the world mode turned off now, thank you for listening.

you're right...I don't believe it :Tease3:

I think it is more than an illusion that Axis vinyl feels cheaper. I think the stitching really is done in a more inexpensive way, and it is cheaper to do blocky styles than nice curved foam like Malibu does. The Malibu seats all fit nice and tight together, but I noted how the Axis seats are not always so tight on their tolerance, some are snug, some loose.

Having said that, my wife blowing her ACL in September is the only thing that stopped me from being in an A24 right now. The surf wave is top notch and wakeboard wake is awesome. The new touchscreen dash on the Malibu is still a touch screen and does not look all that great to me. Kind of like a wide TV screen mounted to the dash. It might be worth noting that Malibu has taken a step AWAY from the touch screen with the joy stick on the side. It wouldn't surprise me in a couple of years that all boats will have switches and toggles for all of the major features. The pendulum may very well swing the other way.

The safety guy in me wants to tell her to wear a life jacket, although I am sure she looks better without. People die jumping off cliffs every year. They usually don't die on impact, but a couple hours on the bottom of the lake does the job. With life jackets, almost all of them would live.

I think it is more than an illusion that Axis vinyl feels cheaper. I think the stitching really is done in a more inexpensive way, and it is cheaper to do blocky styles than nice curved foam like Malibu does. The Malibu seats all fit nice and tight together, but I noted how the Axis seats are not always so tight on their tolerance, some are snug, some loose.

Having said that, my wife blowing her ACL in September is the only thing that stopped me from being in an A24 right now. The surf wave is top notch and wakeboard wake is awesome. The new touchscreen dash on the Malibu is still a touch screen and does not look all that great to me. Kind of like a wide TV screen mounted to the dash. It might be worth noting that Malibu has taken a step AWAY from the touch screen with the joy stick on the side. It wouldn't surprise me in a couple of years that all boats will have switches and toggles for all of the major features. The pendulum may very well swing the other way.

don't worry it is photoshopped

Depending on the height of the jump, wearing a life jacket can inflict more injuries than not wearing one.

• Like 2

This is so true. So much quality in those Vrides. Whats budget now a days...70k ? That dash has got to be better. That power wedge is sweet!

I also have given thought to owning my old Malibu and those aging electronics. What will happen 5 years from now. The simpler Axis does look attractive the older they get.

Edited by Afun

I have found that with the power wedge, the wake is slighty different everytime. I will prob get blasted for this post, but lets face it, I am a wake snob

Edit: This is on a 2007 VLX PW1

Edited by ac88926

I have found that with the power wedge, the wake is slighty different everytime. I will prob get blasted for this post, but lets face it, I am a wake snob

Edit: This is on a 2007 VLX PW1

Can't disagree, but I would be sold on an axis if it had the PW2 or even the PW1. It doesn't seem like much, but the PW really does help shape the wake more than a floating wedge (or whatever the non-PW is called).

Funny, I didn't get that impression. But it was ONLY because of the quality of the vinyl. The vinyl in the 2014 I spent the day in had a more.....rubbery look and less leathery look. Didn't care for it.

I would have put my 05 Vride up against it for sure.