Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

TeakGuard

I just finished the Teakguard kit process on my deck. I followed the directions, but after cleaning I also had a deck that looked simialr to yours, but not as bad. I assumed it was still the oil and debris in the wood giving it the white, raised areas. I put on a leather glove, grabbed one of the bronze wool pads and scrubbed quite a bit. I then rinsed and cleaned again. After letting it dry, there were still a couple of small areas on two boards that still had the white raised areas. I rubbed lightly with a bit more bronze wool and spot cleaned with the cleaner and it was finally consistent raw teak.

After 4 coats of Teakguard over several days it is looking good. I should have taken pictures as I was doing the job. I'll go down and shoot one of how it looks now.

Obski,

Thanks again for the tip. I used the bronze wool to knock off some of the old gray stuff and then cleaned it thoroughly this evening. It's looking much more like bare teak now so hopefully I can get the first 3 coats on tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mike

If the teak oil is put on and it runs like paint and it does not get wiped off, after it dries, it looks like varnish. It is just as hard to get off to.

My platform was fairly bad when I got the boat, I belt sanded it to smooth it out, sanded the groves, then used Te-Ka cleaner, then a good Teak oil. It look great now.

if you do resort to sanding, you've really got to make sure you clean it very well afterward..the dust will clog the pores and affect your finish, and the heat brings more oil to the surface...

Marty @ AllGuardProducts mentioned that several times. So far it looks like I won't have to sand but it has been a bigger job cleaning off the old stuff that I would have thought.

a carefully employed pressure washer helps alot, especially washing off the gray goo after scrubbing with the bronze wool...it is especially helpful on the underneath side because of all the angles of support pieces...I'd rent one tomorrow and you'll be through in a day. Use a fan nozzle, don't use too much water pressure, and keep your angle of attack at less than 45°...

Edited by HRemington
Marty @ AllGuardProducts mentioned that several times. So far it looks like I won't have to sand but it has been a bigger job cleaning off the old stuff that I would have thought.

I would agree. The directions made it sound like with their new improved formula cleaner the job would just about be done by itself. Not so. I really did have to scrub alot with the bronze wool and keep rinsing off. I finally got all of the old gunk off, but it did take some time and work.

Now I want to see how it holds up over the season. A friend who moors near me is also very interested to see how it lasts as he too has been unable to keep his deck looking nice. We shall see.

My re-finishing is temporarily on hold while Marty ships another 4oz bottle of cleaner. I still have a fair amount to clean on the bottom and want to make sure I get the prep-work right.

Next step will be a light pressure washing (low angle of attack) followed by another cleaning with his cleaner.

Marty told me that he decided that the kit should include more cleaner so that it doesn't have to be spread so thin. He's shipping the extra bottle at his expense since my kit came with the 4oz bottle.

I give him high marks for his customer service and desire to see people succeed with his products. I tried to pay for the cleaner or at least the shipping but he wouldn't take my money.

The amount of time he's spent with me on a $30 purchase (less MBO discount) is way above the call of duty. If the product works half as well as he takes care of customers it will be a real winner!

My re-finishing is temporarily on hold while Marty ships another 4oz bottle of cleaner. I still have a fair amount to clean on the bottom and want to make sure I get the prep-work right.

Next step will be a light pressure washing (low angle of attack) followed by another cleaning with his cleaner.

Marty told me that he decided that the kit should include more cleaner so that it doesn't have to be spread so thin. He's shipping the extra bottle at his expense since my kit came with the 4oz bottle.

I give him high marks for his customer service and desire to see people succeed with his products. I tried to pay for the cleaner or at least the shipping but he wouldn't take my money.

The amount of time he's spent with me on a $30 purchase (less MBO discount) is way above the call of duty. If the product works half as well as he takes care of customers it will be a real winner!

Oh man, I didn't even think to ask for the MBO discount. Oh well.