Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

IXFE boat order finalized... (long)

IXFE

That's a spicy meatball right there! Did you get all 4 racks?

No way, Jose! I figure I'm picking up a few surf board slots with the GL surf Bimini, so that plus the ONE set of clamping racks will have to suffice.

I briefly considered the Z5 cargo bimini; it's actually cheaper than the extra set of clamping racks when you factor in the bimini it replaces ($1,492 msrp credit), but I'm not convinced I want a permanent bimini.

Why is the 2nd set of PTM racks nearly twice the price?

Because the first set is subsidized by the fact that they are removing a set of standard combo racks. After that you have to pay full freight on the second set since they replace nothing. Edited by IXFE

The MSRP for the G4 and accessories is as follows:

• G4 Tower: $5,833
  • Z5 Cargo Bimini: $4,167
  • PTM Clamp Racks (1st set): $1,200/ea. rack
  • PTM Clamp Racks (2nd set): $2,083/ea. rack
  • Rev 8's (1st set): $1,808
  • Rev 8's (2nd set): $1,708
  • Swivel mounts: $500
  • Tower lights: $467

Keep in mind, those are MSRP's. What your dealer actually charges you is an entirely different story.

It's funny, we throw the phrase "butt hurt" around on this forum a lot. From hear on out, I propose that phrase be used only when describing the price of QUAD clamping racks. Hopefully now you understand why I won't be having them this year. :cry:

So check every tower option and you have over $20k into a tower and accessories. Unbelievable! Even at 20% off that price which might be generous you're still over 15!

So check every tower option and you have over $20k into a tower and accessories. Unbelievable! Even at 20% off that price which might be generous you're still over 15!

Yeah, but that's like saying if you check every box on an LSV the boat will be $185k. Sure, that's possible, but not only would you not pay that price, but you'd also never see a boat like that in the wild.

Back down on planet Earth, you're more likely to see G4 towers with a pair of clamping racks and two pairs of Rev 8's.

I don't see anybody ordering 4 clamping racks and the Z5 rack, unless your name is Phil Soven!

Not defending the pricing... it's nuts. I skipped a lot of options (incl. LS3) to offset the tower upgrade. That should tell you how much I like this tower (both looks and functionality). I feel like the tower, bimini, and racks are a major part of the user experience on the boat. We are constantly raising/lower tower, moving boards in and out of racks, etc. Until you've played with a G4, I don't think you can appreciate what an upgrade it really is. Nothing against the G3 as I still love that tower, but raising and lowering it every time in/out of the garage become tiresome for us. And while I never had an issue with the bungees, the kids and wife have trouble stretching them around the boards and catching them to that tricky hook. Plus, the bungees hold the surf boards so tight, they have dented. The clamps don't do this because you can modulate how tight they hold.

Anyway, for those who asked/wondered, that's why I decide to make the jump this year.

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 2

Yeah, but that's like saying if you check every box on an LSV the boat will be $185k. Sure, that's possible, but not only would you not pay that price, but you'd also never see a boat like that in the wild.

Back down on planet Earth, you're more likely to see G4 towers with a pair of clamping racks and two pairs of Rev 8's.

I don't see anybody ordering 4 clamping racks and the Z5 rack, unless your name is Phil Soven!

Not defending the pricing... it's nuts. I skipped a lot of options (incl. LS3) to offset the tower upgrade.

Is PTM the only rack option currently?

What happens if you want to stow surfboards and multiple wakeboards and you do not have your bimini up? Are you going to just always run your bimini deployed to have the extra surfboard storage? Is the PTM clamp rack a three or two board holding system?

Gotcha. A better question is have any aftermarket companies come out with one such as Samson?

Anything that mounts up to a G3 will mount up to the G4 (incl. Samson options). The racks slide on/off the same way.

The PTM racks in question are the same PTM racks that were available for the G3 last year.

• Like 1

What happens if you want to stow surfboards and multiple wakeboards and you do not have your bimini up? Are you going to just always run your bimini deployed to have the extra surfboard storage? Is the PTM clamp rack a three or two board holding system?

Great point. My crew needs it to be 95+ before they want the bimini up. So despite getting the surfboard pockets last year, We didn't use 'em as much as I'd hoped (they are friggen awesome to have tho).

I really struggled with this, and I'm not 100% comfortable with where I ended up. I really wanted another set of PTM's. But I just couldn't justify it. Then I tried to convince myself that a Z5 would be good (the G5+Z5 is really slick), but even that seemed too spendy, and I wasn't sure I wanted the bimini 100% of the time.

So I really thought hard about how often I used the quads on my last two boats...

We own 6 wakeboards, but only 4 get used regularly. We own 3 surfboards, but only 2 get used regularly. We also have two slalom skis that almost never get used anymore (one of my upper racks was a ski rack that got used ONCE last year). The skis only come out when we go skiing on my buddy's Response. Most of our boating consists of 2-3 hour trips to the river. Every time we head out I ask who's doing what. We always end up leaving some stuff behind. Last year, my wakeboard got left behind A LOT!

I figure with the four racks I'll have enough for MOST of our river trips. The bimini offers overflow and I'm prepared to put it up when I otherwise might not have (I'm hopeful the new GL bimini for the G4 is quick/easy to deploy). I am also going to explore storing the surfs under the coffin. My coffin was empty all of last season.

If all else fails, I can always order an extra rack later. Gulp!!

Where I'll really miss the upper racks is at Shasta... :Frustrated:

Edited by IXFE

Yep, easy add on if need be. It seems like we always have at least 4 wakeboards and 2 surfboards minimum. Those clamp racks are sweet, I wish I could afforded them but I just could not justify the cost and if they would see anything back for resale. As antiquated as the bunji straps are, they do serve there purpose.

Yep, easy add on if need be. It seems like we always have at least 4 wakeboards and 2 surfboards minimum. Those clamp racks are sweet, I wish I could afforded them but I just could not justify the cost and if they would see anything back for resale. As antiquated as the bunji straps are, they do serve there purpose.

I totally agree.. Personally, I had nothing against the combo racks, but my wife dislikes them.

For me it was all tied to the G4. Once I got it in my head that I wanted it, I found myself on a slippery slope. That tower just screams for those clamp racks. IMHO, the combo racks don't look right on the G4.

If a head shrink were evaluating me they'd say it was really just about doing something different, and I'm sure that's part of it for me. Ordering the same boat twice is no fun... If not color, something had to change!

What thickness of surfboard can the PTM clamping racks accommodate?

I know it works well with Ronix Koal sized boards, which is our go to "boat board"... I figure anything custom or super thick will go in bimini straps.

What thickness of surfboard can the PTM clamping racks accommodate?

I was just at AWS for some Christmas shopping and I checked the racks. I didn't have a tape measure but the slots are about 1/4" wider than the widest slot on the standard rack.

Also, both slots on the PTM racks are that wide so they can accommodate four surf boards, not just two.

The surf pockets are AWESOME. Once you have them you will never go back. I deploy the bimini every outing, primarily for the storage. I don't like putting anything other than compression molded boards in the racks, so having the pockets had been perfect. Plus super easy to get boards in/out, i would love to have clamping racks, but can't justify the cost now. Will definitely have them on my next boat a couple years from now.

I don't know how you guys start over every year, i still have a huge list of stuff to get through on the current boat, that i just haven't had time to do. Hopefully over the holidays....

• Like 2

When I negotiated my deal, I made sure I kept my 4 Samson racks off my old boat, I love the new Bimini and the surf pockets but here in Oregon I rarely used my top, Plus my old one was a Pain to put up and down so I just never messed with it, I'm not a big fan of the bungees but it's what we have so I will live with it, Although I heard Samson may be working on a clamp style that might retro my currant racks,

For the price of those ptm racks the bungee seems like a great setup. I am still blown away how much they are charging for them.

I kept my upper racks of my '13 but found out the 15's now come with a brushed alum finish. Sold the '13 upper racks to a crew member here which are polished and went with a complete new set of upper and lower racks to match all the brushed in the boat. The glove box, ski pylon, grab handles, throttle all match and I wanted the board racks also to be the same finish. I don't think there is anything polished on the 15 models anymore. Malibu definitely is moving away from the blinged out look.

For the price of those ptm racks the bungee seems like a great setup. I am still blown away how much they are charging for them.

I kept my upper racks of my '13 but found out the 15's now come with a brushed alum finish. Sold the '13 upper racks to a crew member here which are polished and went with a complete new set of upper and lower racks to match all the brushed in the boat. The glove box, ski pylon, grab handles, throttle all match and I wanted the board racks also to be the same finish. I don't think there is anything polished on the 15 models anymore. Malibu definitely is moving away from the blinged out look.

Yes I noticed that, They looked good, But I just could not get rid of the Samson polished racks, We are going to paint my Speaker grills Silver metal flake to mach the gel,

I think if you have all four matching polished it would look fine. I was going to have lower brushed and upper polished which would have looked terrible imo. I was able to sell my upper polished set to wash out the new rack price, so it worked out great.

I'm also painting grilles either blacked out or gunmetal gray to match the brushed look. Gotta get some color samples first. Those chrome grilles would really bling out with the 15 builds style.

Edited by Fman

I think if you have all four matching polished it would look fine. I was going to have lower brushed and upper polished which would have looked terrible imo. I was able to sell my upper polished set to wash out the new rack price, so it worked out great.

I'm also painting grilles either blacked out or gunmetal gray to match the brushed look. Gotta get some color samples first. Those chrome grilles would really bling out with the 15 builds style.

Yes agreed, Did you post a pic of your new boat yet??

Great point. My crew needs it to be 95+ before they want the bimini up. So despite getting the surfboard pockets last year, We didn't use 'em as much as I'd hoped (they are friggen awesome to have tho).

Cancer can happen at any time :whistle: