Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailering speeds

smooth as glass

Lots of heavy towing here 9k on a 1/2ton....

Normal is 70-73, I've done up to 80 a few times.

I can tell you the MPGs at 65 is about 9-10mpgs. Bring it up to 75 and they drop to 6-8mpg. Speed really drinks gas.

• Like 1

With my trucks gearing, it is much happier towing 70-75 than 65. If through the mountains, I get up to 80 downhill to help with the uphill transition.

Did it with the old 14" trailer tires and a lot less worried doing it with the 18" Z rated tires on her now.

We usually trailer the boat at the put-in doing 40 mph but its hell on the winch housing.

As far as highway speeds, we will do whatever speed is necessary to keep people from passing us on a double lane and super slow to annoy the people that tried to pass on the double lane.

• Like 1

65 is what my trailer tires are rated for and I'm happy with that - I'm sure my F350 diesel could handle much faster speeds :)

I've had the most problems while boating when I rush things ... so I take it nice and easy.

I had a scare at 70mph, coming down a grade so I really try to keep it down now. Usually 60-65 max. My scare happened in a Tahoe, pulling a 23 Enzo. I tapped the brakes when I realized I was going to fast and the tail wagged the dog so to speak. I realized how quickly things can go bad.

No, just the trailer, mostly because I have the Vault hubs, and one gets hotter than the other three, so I really keep an eye on it.

I also have bearings and tools just in case.

I've had a torsion failure that cost me a fortune so I'm paranoid beyond belief when it comes to that trailer.

If you figure out what the crap is causing that in your trailer, I would appreciate it. I have a similar issue.

I usually go with the speed limit, up to about 75 or so.

If you figure out what the crap is causing that in your trailer, I would appreciate it. I have a similar issue.

Trailer angle most of the time will cause that and possibly uneven brake pressure/ wear between the sides. Soft rear suspension doesn't help.

Okay, let's see, since I've had her (09), I've replaced both axles, all the brake pads ( they broke off the backing plates), one caliper, and the reverse solenoid. The one hub gets up to around 170 degrees, and the others around 150. I checked the feel of the bearings and it felt great so I just keep the tools and parts for when it happens. It's been a few years now so I guess it's fine. UFP said it was acceptable.

That's not much of a temp. difference.

Is it a rear hub that gets warmer?

On Harley's the rear cylider got warmer b'c the front one ate up all the cool air.

Edited by Pistol Pete

That's not much of a temp. difference.

Is it a rear hub that gets warmer?

On Harley's the rear cylider got warmer b'c the front one ate up all the cool air.

Yes it's the rear, but only on the port side, I guess it's hotter on that side of the road.

Okay, let's see, since I've had her (09), I've replaced both axles, all the brake pads ( they broke off the backing plates), one caliper, and the reverse solenoid. The one hub gets up to around 170 degrees, and the others around 150. I checked the feel of the bearings and it felt great so I just keep the tools and parts for when it happens. It's been a few years now so I guess it's fine. UFP said it was acceptable.

Ok, so how many time do i have to tell you to drain your blast before you trailer your boat!! :Tease3: !!!!

Sorry, just couldn't resist the comment...

You guys would love CA.

You're not supposed to go over 55 if you're towing ANYTHING.

And, guys like me with CDL and Hazmat, they're extra hard on.

Not to mention, in CA. Anything with a trailer, over 70MPH is a 2 point misdemeanor ticket.

How do I know??!!

CHP has told me more than once!!! LOL

Well with boat on lift, 14 year old tires haven't seen more than 500 miles, been on concrete and covered whole time, cept trips for repair. But recent trip of 100miles lost the tread at 65, so as the saying goes use it or lose it! You newbies with older boat trailers beware!