Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Boat Price Negotiating

dielawn

I'm looking at a g23, an x23 and a z3. Curious what type of discount I should be looking at off MSRP. So far I've negotiated a little on the z3 and am about 19% off MSRP. Seems to me I should be able to get more. Also any opinions or recommendations on the boats is greatly appreciated. I'm looking for a boat mainly for surfing, as I think that will be the main interest of the family once they start doing it, wake boarding, but also still want to be able to have the kids slalom ski. Thanks again in advance!

If you plan on slaloming I would take the G and the X off the list. If you want to wakeboard the Z3 will be marginal at best.

You need to be looking at VLX, LSV or even X30 and Supra SG.

MY .02

Baaahhhaaa slalom skiing a G! The G23 will be amazing at surfing, good at wakeboarding, slalom probably worst boat you could pick.

23 LSV would be excellent choice, x30 as well... Just my thoughts.

Good Morning Gents. I am in the process of shopping a '15 Axis A20. MSRP is $68k. Options include Surfgate, Metalflake paint, Full cover, Bimini with surf/rope storage, dual batteries, SP1, Bluetooth, Transom Remote, Heater, plug and play plumbing, Board racks, Chillax seat, etc. The only thing that I would add immediately is tower speakers and an amp.

Without any negotiating the dealer presented about a 13% discount from there. I see that 20-25% discount is considered a pretty solid deal. I've taken the advice of this thread and have been to the dealership 2 or 3 times already, but it was only the most recent time that we spoke about price. I don't have a ton of experience negotiating large purchases where the price is flexible. Do I just tell the dealer where I need to be? I am not going to buy the boat unless I can get to about $59k OTD. is that absurd?

Good Morning Gents. I am in the process of shopping a '15 Axis A20. MSRP is $68k. Options include Surfgate, Metalflake paint, Full cover, Bimini with surf/rope storage, dual batteries, SP1, Bluetooth, Transom Remote, Heater, plug and play plumbing, Board racks, Chillax seat, etc. The only thing that I would add immediately is tower speakers and an amp.

Without any negotiating the dealer presented about a 13% discount from there. I see that 20-25% discount is considered a pretty solid deal. I've taken the advice of this thread and have been to the dealership 2 or 3 times already, but it was only the most recent time that we spoke about price. I don't have a ton of experience negotiating large purchases where the price is flexible. Do I just tell the dealer where I need to be? I am not going to buy the boat unless I can get to about $59k OTD. is that absurd?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong - I bought my Axis as a holdover so I didn't negotiate off MSRP. But I know I've read on here a few times that margins are a bit tighter on the Axis models. As a result, I think 20-25% is not a solid deal but a great one.

• Like 2

You may can get it there. From everything I've read on here, the consensus is the margins are not as big on the Axis/budget boats as it is on the Malibu/higher end lines so it might not happen.

I think you should be able to get a better deal than that. That isn't too far off from the price of my t22, and I have more options. Keep negotiating. Especially with the '16's about to hit the showroom floor.

That was my thought too. I am not set on the Axis and to be honest I like the styling and some of the features on the Moomba Mondo a little better, but I have heard horror stories of the local moomba dealership.

I have no clue what the markup is in boats but I do sell a luxury car brand. I will say there is a HUGE difference between someone who jacks around with you and a knowledgeable straight shooter. I have no problem taking a mini (smallest commission) with someone that comes in and knows what there doing verses someone who comes in and demands a price lower than is even possible and wastes your time.

Don't waste a salesman's time. It doesn't matter how many boats (or cars) you have bought, you're in their house and they have sold way more boats than you have dreamed of buying. Everyone has no problem going to a grocery store and paying 100% mark up for milk but god forbid a dealer make a cent on a boat or car purchase.

Again, I do not know the mark up on boats, but I would assume that on your 150k boat the dealer makes between 2%-10%. Go in and ask to talk to the sales manager and offer to pay the invoice price plus incentives.

My $.02

I have no clue what the markup is in boats but I do sell a luxury car brand. I will say there is a HUGE difference between someone who jacks around with you and a knowledgeable straight shooter. I have no problem taking a mini (smallest commission) with someone that comes in and knows what there doing verses someone who comes in and demands a price lower than is even possible and wastes your time.

Don't waste a salesman's time. It doesn't matter how many boats (or cars) you have bought, you're in their house and they have sold way more boats than you have dreamed of buying. Everyone has no problem going to a grocery store and paying 100% mark up for milk but god forbid a dealer make a cent on a boat or car purchase.

Again, I do not know the mark up on boats, but I would assume that on your 150k boat the dealer makes between 2%-10%. Go in and ask to talk to the sales manager and offer to pay the invoice price plus incentives.

My $.02

Um? Car pricing and boat pricing are two different animals. Jussayin'.

My $.02

www.seedealercost.com daniel Id start there, might give you bit more info then you currently have.

My $.02

so your comparing $4.25 milk to a $150,000 boat? heres a better comparison. Have you ever built a house? or a commercial building? Did you have contractors and/or architects bid on that project? If not then The architectual firm I work for would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have you as a client, never mind what we fee we throw out there we're just trying to make a cent on the project to keep the doors open.

Edited by all2matt

I hope my initial post didn't come off the way Daniel has made it out. I know the dealer has to make his money but I want to get the best deal possible. For the same reason, I use coupons for groceries and buy my clothes on sale. With any big purchase, I like to have my research done a head of time and don't like to play games. Looking at the seedealercost website it looks as if invoice for the boat I am looking at is around $47500.

Mike, make sure all options are marked on seedealercost. There are several options missing. Also certain things are multiples, like racks, each rack is an item they are not paired.

does the negotiating hold true for orders as well. I guess what I'm asking is it possible to be in the 20-25% or higher off msrp for an ordered boat or is that only for boats that dealers are trying to dump at the end of model years?

It will probably take more haggling to get that much off msrp on a special order but it may be possible. They don't have the cost of holding it in inventory when it's a special order.