Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone tow their boat with an RV?

saidainc

Yup, good point guys. There are a lot of Class A (gasser, front engine) coaches out there that aren't any better in this respect than a Class C. But if it's me, for the money though, I really think that I'd be looking at a Super C.

When we were looking, I found that the super C wasnt really any larger inside than a 30ish class C...only thing it got you was more towing. And they cost more. Dollar for dollar, a used class a diesel pusher is better IMO.

When we were looking, I found that the super C wasnt really any larger inside than a 30ish class C...only thing it got you was more towing. And they cost more. Dollar for dollar, a used class a diesel pusher is better IMO.

Except that isn't a diesel pusher a lot more money? Or do they really fall off in value that sharply?

We looked at the Jayco Seneca and the Gulfstream Endura. The Endura had terrible storage and seemed really cheap inside. The Seneca had more storage but the seem so much smaller than a comparable length Class A. That and they were over 20k more than the Class A models we looked at. My wife wanted a Super C because they seemed smaller in the cab and wasnt so intimidating to drive.

Except that isn't a diesel pusher a lot more money? Or do they really fall off in value that sharply?

Depends on how old you wanna go...you can get a 3-5 year old unit for about 50-60k less than a new super C

And if course manufacturer makes a difference in price too. Lol.

Edited by Sunscape fan

We looked at the Jayco Seneca and the Gulfstream Endura. The Endura had terrible storage and seemed really cheap inside. The Seneca had more storage but the seem so much smaller than a comparable length Class A. That and they were over 20k more than the Class A models we looked at. My wife wanted a Super C because they seemed smaller in the cab and wasnt so intimidating to drive.

Not much can compete with the interior and basement storage of a class A...especially a diesel pusher.

Not much can compete with the interior and basement storage of a class A...especially a diesel pusher.

Totally agree with that. But I'd be curious to know what that same Super C would cost used at 3-5 years old, apples for apples & all of that. It's not really fair to compare one new against the other used now, is it? ;)

It will, but you'll be over the overall rating. And, you've gone DOWN to a 350, so your brakes are a lot smaller than the 450's, the frame isn't nearly as beefy....do you see where I'm going? If you're going to make the decision to go over, you absolutely should go for a 450 because the entire rig will handle it better. Yes, you have the right idea with doing the work to the hitch & rear house, but you have to think about the rest of the rig too.

Go search for the differences between a 350 & 450. It's pretty significant if you're going to ride the line like this. And look at it this way. With that 350, you're over by about 500 lbs. With a 450 & 20k lb allowance, you'll likely be over by the same or less but with all of the better gear that a 450 has.

GVWR for the Ford 350 is 12,500, GCWR is 18,500. Besides reinforcing the hitch, since the E350 is listed at 5000lbs, it seems doable. What am i missing?

You're missing the little decal/sticker on the inside of the RV that says you can do it legally and safely!!

Totally agree with the above...you'll need better breaks, better steering, better tires. A E450 will probably also come with a bigger rad and bigger transmission cooler. Like I said before, lots of people go over and nothing ever happens...but some ppl go overweight and really bad things happen. Just wait till you're going down a steep hill and those little E350 brakes heat up.....then what?

Totally agree with that. But I'd be curious to know what that same Super C would cost used at 3-5 years old, apples for apples & all of that. It's not really fair to compare one new against the other used now, is it? ;)

Very true

You're missing the little decal/sticker on the inside of the RV that says you can do it legally and safely!!

Totally agree with the above...you'll need better breaks, better steering, better tires. A E450 will probably also come with a bigger rad and bigger transmission cooler. Like I said before, lots of people go over and nothing ever happens...but some ppl go overweight and really bad things happen. Just wait till you're going down a steep hill and those little E350 brakes heat up.....then what?

I agree with all the advice given here and as always I am grateful for it all. I do have a friend that has an E350 and has towed his Malibu for 5 years. All in all, Im not one to throw caution to the wind with 3 small kids.

I definitely CANNOT afford a Class C plus at nearly 100k. My budget is much smaller

Edited by saidainc

I got an overweight ticket once. I don't remember how much it was but I do remember thinking it was exhorbitant. $700? And it was out of state so I wasn't going to try to fight it. At least I had the option to not haul so much. If you buy an rv that doesn't meet the gcvwr for what you want to do, you'll really be limiting yourself. State troopers are paying a lot more attention to this when it used to be they only bothered tractor trailers. I agree the difference between a 350 and 450 is huge.

60k will pick you up what looks to be a pretty nice DP in Western Wa. I think a bit more hunting and willing to go to Arizona and bet you could pick up something pretty nice~ 12 years old, low miles, slideouts for 50k. With that in mind, any advice on best value brands on diesel pushers? Lots out there, some are pretty obscure brands. Safari, Holiday, Beaver, Fleetwood, Winnebago, Allegro, Monaco are brands we see around here. It seems like there are a few brands that are higher end that end up being 5+ years older but in the same price range as the cheaper ones. TIA

60k will pick you up what looks to be a pretty nice DP in Western Wa. I think a bit more hunting and willing to go to Arizona and bet you could pick up something pretty nice~ 12 years old, low miles, slideouts for 50k. With that in mind, any advice on best value brands on diesel pushers? Lots out there, some are pretty obscure brands. Safari, Holiday, Beaver, Fleetwood, Winnebago, Allegro, Monaco are brands we see around here. It seems like there are a few brands that are higher end that end up being 5+ years older but in the same price range as the cheaper ones. TIA

Tiffin, Newmar, Monaco. If you stay with those brands, generally you'll get a pretty good quality coach. Beaver is very good, but not made anymore. Fleetwood, Winnebago are probably next on the list. Winnebago can have a lot of issues with the windshields from 2000-2009...lots of rust problems....if you google it you'll find lots of threads on lots of Rv forums about the problem. Tiffin has wet bay issues. Newmar generally doesn't have many issues at all. Both tiffin and Newmar have very good customer service.

Tiffin, Newmar, Monaco. If you stay with those brands, generally you'll get a pretty good quality coach. Beaver is very good, but not made anymore. Fleetwood, Winnebago are probably next on the list. Winnebago can have a lot of issues with the windshields from 2000-2009...lots of rust problems....if you google it you'll find lots of threads on lots of Rv forums about the problem. Tiffin has wet bay issues. Newmar generally doesn't have many issues at all. Both tiffin and Newmar have very good customer service.

Good advice.

We used to go to the lake with me towing the toyhauler and the wife towing the Malibu. Tried to have the wife toy the toyahuler, but it was "scary", she didn't care the Malibu cost twice the toyhauler. Wife ended up not liking towing, and wanted a class C. Bought a E450 Class C with the V10, towing capacity 5,000. It hated towing the Malibu, but got over the mountians, just slowly. If you didn't have to go over mountians and got an 05+ it might be OK. We then decided we needed a Super C diesel, looked long and hard. You can find them with the Duramax from $50K-$100K used depending on mileage and condition. I ened up buying a Thor 33SW on the Ford 550 Chassis with the 6.7 diesel, that thing is a towing machine. Doesn't even know the Malibu is back there. Have to be pretty careful with the launch ramp to lauch the boat with the RV.

We used to go to the lake with me towing the toyhauler and the wife towing the Malibu. Tried to have the wife toy the toyahuler, but it was "scary", she didn't care the Malibu cost twice the toyhauler. Wife ended up not liking towing, and wanted a class C. Bought a E450 Class C with the V10, towing capacity 5,000. It hated towing the Malibu, but got over the mountians, just slowly. If you didn't have to go over mountians and got an 05+ it might be OK. We then decided we needed a Super C diesel, looked long and hard. You can find them with the Duramax from $50K-$100K used depending on mileage and condition. I ened up buying a Thor 33SW on the Ford 550 Chassis with the 6.7 diesel, that thing is a towing machine. Doesn't even know the Malibu is back there. Have to be pretty careful with the launch ramp to lauch the boat with the RV.

I still haven't launched with my motorhome. I think I'm afraid too! Lol

It all depends on the boat launch. The first time I launched the boat with the 36 ft I was nervous and there were a lot of people watching. But there are lots of good launches that allow the room you need.

My 25' Jayco Greyhawk handles my boat pretty well. It's got the V-10 on a E450 chassis:

CamperBoat_zpse09eb614.jpg

We towed it to Wyoming from Colorado 2 weeks ago & it did great. The lake was down and it was a LONG, NARROW ramp. Pretty steep too. I was worried about it pulling it out (and yes, there were definitely observers). It did great. I'd keep good tires on it for wet ramps.

The biggest issue we have is breaking camp to launch & retrieve. Over Labor Day weekend at a closer lake we decided to take along our Tahoe for easier launching & the ability to run out for dinner, beer, etc. I haven't found a perfect combination for everything (even tried a diesel pickup, 5th wheel, and boat combo in the past). Any configuration causes a compromise somewhere.

FWIW...the motorhome actually tows better than our Tahoe even though it has a lower tow rating. It's so heavy that the boat can't wag or push it around.