Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Axis windshield

pook77

So after a summer of using my new A20 I really miss having the side glass my Sportster had. Enough so that I am thinking about fabricating something that fills the gap between the tower and windshield this winter. When I was shopping for the boat I really thought the no side glass thing would be a benefit, being able to talk to down riders without standing up, but the amount of spray you take through that gap out weights any other benefits IMO.

I see on the Axis forum AMSUGG's wife made some sweet Jeep style ones out of fabric.

1B78D2F3-28C6-4804-A8FF-99392448ACEA-335

2070DE0C-7AED-4763-8E52-24D1BFC9F3C5-335

• Like 2

I guess it's all personal preference. I don't ever want a traditional windshield again. Can't wait to see what you come up with though

Edited by AJWest

I'm with you. It's one of the things that I don't like about Axis. I would have to sign a letter of intent to build something just to get the wife in board if i ever thought about buying one. I look forward to seeing how it comes out.

I think it depends on where you live in the country too. In Tennessee, we really dont have to worry about a lot of wind while we are riding like some folks up north and out west. I have never noticed any spray getting on me while driving or riding in my A22. I can understand some folks not liking the styling of the windsheild, but to each their own.

Do you guys surf a lot? This is when we notice the spray the most. And on the low side, it's no joke some days. And it's not like we're surfing in crazy wind all the time.

I was showing Lance B. my port side window yesterday and how it's coated with like 100 layers of waterspots.......(and I just pulled her out and pasted/scrubbed the windows 2 weeks ago, they were crystal clear/brand new!). Without that side window, all that spray would have been in the boat. And that's like 8-10 surf sessions....... :dontknow:

I don't know how you guys do it, but I absolutely agree: To each their own. I don't like the look of that mod, but I'd absolutely do something there......

Hey AC88926: Did you see my post in the Mastercraft NXT thread (Post #409)? Where ya at!??!? :cheers:

No list, no spray. Surgate is the answer! ;)

• Like 2

Wow, I was thinking about posting this today as well. It was windy today on the lake and slightly chilly. Today was the first time I really missed the sportster windshield on my T22. I even ended up using my heater today just to take the chill off.

I don't really like the mod in the first post, but I might try to do something like (drivers side only) that could be used in the fall. Temps are already dropping here and getting blasted with cold water and wind does suck. I like the look of the windshield without the sides, but I live in Michigan and try to extend my season as long as possible.

A22 with 550 hours on the clock and no issues here with spray ever. Maybe the traditional shape bows are more prone to to this?

I've never had a spray issue either in either my A22 or A24. Didn't matter if it was surfing or running in 20-25mph winds in open water.

Yeah I figured they made one to come off the tower. Looks like the arm had to be a little longer than most. I was just looking through the brochure and fond it odd that none of the pics had mirrors on them

How will you grab the dock and talk to riders in the water! Isn't that the Axis claim of why they only use half a windshield? I could not imagine having to hold the dock and talk to riders in the water with a full windshield... Imagine the difficulty of this!

How will you grab the dock and talk to riders in the water! Isn't that the Axis claim of why they only use half a windshield? I could not imagine having to hold the dock and talk to riders in the water with a full windshield... Imagine the difficulty of this!

Can you provide proof of this claim by Axis? I think that was an owner claim

^^^ no proof, but this is the common answer I hear about why they have 70% of a full windshield on the boat. Personally, I think it's a cost cutting measure. I have never driven an Axis to see if it would bother me. I know the vlx side windshield is pretty small, easy to talk to riders and grab dock but does a marginal job of blocking wind and spray because it is small.

I think the Axiswake windshield statements may have been in an early youtube video. Some other thoughts about the open windshield design:

1. Floatillas - holding another boat at a distance.

2. Less glass to clean.

3. Easier/cheaper to tint.

4. Old school chriscraft or hotrod style / Mastercraft also using this style now

5. Easier to reach in and toggles switches while standing on the trailer or dock. ALSO to reach items on the dash or glovebox.

All of the above considerations plus with my location south of the mason dixon line; The cooling of the open windshield sides is more desirable than the singular advantage of a cozy enclosed windshield.

• 6 years later...
4 hours ago, CharlesW said:

Here's my development so far .. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Saw your post on FB. Well done. While I have no use for it, I love seeing people solve issues that they have. Your skills are much better than mine my friend!  

I personally love the cut out of the windshield. Reach down and grab some water to cool me off. Talk to the rider while looping around. Grab the dock.