Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ramp accidents have you had one?

JustinOSU

Do you unhook you boat Y or N?  

409 members have voted

1. 1. Do you unhook your boat before using the ramp?

• Always
    • Only if I am Familiar with the ramp
    • Sometimes
    • Never

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1FootDan

• NorCaliBu

• gonorth

• naughty girl

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...Launching must be really daunting to those new to boating.

This past Thursday I took the day off and after getting some slalom sets in the morning on our lake I took my younger son (12 yo) and our lab pup (10 mos old & 90 lbs Shocking.gif ) over to Englebright to start teaching the boy how to drive the Sporty. He launched flawlessly Clap.gif and then came back to the dock to pick up me & Bear. Thumbup.gif Without hitting the dock and with an audience.

Spent a few hours out on the lake (and playing on the sandbar with the pup) and then we headed home. With him in the boat by himself, with a slight cross breeze, he put it on the trailer first try. Yahoo.gif He admitted the he was extremely nervous but he didn't show it.

There were 3 people on the dock holding the ropes on some big tupperware looking I/O (chapparel maybe?) waiting for their driver to come back with the truck. I dumped the trailer, he drove on, we drove away. I made sure to point out that he was only 12 years old. :lol:

It really isn't that hard, you just have to have a little self-confidence and a little common sense.

I had some work done on my 96 response and the mechanic told me it was all set- drain plugs and all. The valuable lesson I learned was that you always need to double check because what you are told and what has really been done are two totally different things. I cannot tell you the amount of fear running through my body as I scrambled to get my half sunken boat onto my trailer. I am pretty sure my mother-in-law didnt even know all the swear words I was using! :unsure:

No accidents yet, although helping the gf's old man launch his pontoon boat was a bit scary a few months back. Very steep ramp and he unhooked the boat at the bow and backed down with me by the side. Started to slide a bit but we were in the water quick enough to not matter.

Personally I never unhook the boat at the bow until its in the water and running. Girlfriend has her license and has been around boats longer than me, so she can easily back the trailer in and launch the boat by herself if she needed!

• 2 weeks later...

Hahaha holy s***. What is wrong with people!? YOU NEVER RIDE A SUSPENDED LOAD!!!!!!

Was their fault too. That extra 400lbs that they created (plus the momentum of them moving) at the stern would have easily caused it to slip out of the sling.

Pull up to staging area

Start blower, Load kids and wife, put in plugs, remove transom straps, boards in racks (5 minutes)

back in boat with wife and kids in it until floats slightly off trailer

Wife starts boat, REMOVE FRONT STRAP and she pulls off trailer

Park Truck while wife and kids idle waiting for me

No dock where I ramp so she stays about 10 to 15 ft off beach and I swim to boat.

Wallah

• 1 month later...

Pulled up to my favorite lake Saturday and there was a 2002 Jeep completely submerged. It looked like a CJ-5, don't think they call them that any more. Heart sank for the kid, said his parking brakes failed. Got towed out and towed away. DNR showed up a little bit after that and had he got caught would have been fined.

Heart sank for the kid, said his parking brakes failed.

Driver failure. With the short wheelbase of that vehicle his rear tires were probably in the water, parking brake set and whole vehicles still slides backwards.

Heart sank for the kid, said his parking brakes failed.

Driver failure. With the short wheelbase of that vehicle his rear tires were probably in the water, parking brake set and whole vehicles still slides backwards.

Wanted to find out if it was a stick or auto ... but didn't want to stare anymore than I was doing + there was quite a crowd watching.

From a couple of weeks ago at the Sylvan Lake Marina. As much as i make fun of Hummer drivers, i felt bad for this dude!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29781851@N02/

From what I herd, it was a guy and his 16 year old daughter, he backed it most the way and had his daughter back it up the last few feet, she paniced and steped on the accelerator instead of the brake.......oops. :unsure: