Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Close call

mbianchini

Similar story...

I was anchored across the bay a few weeks ago. It was a beautiful night and we were just sitting with the table out eating dinner. There was a north wind so there were probably 15 sail boats anchored up for the night. I was probably 50 yards out from them. Some dude with a little tri hull was coming straight at me just plowing water. The bow was so high I knew he couldn't see me. I just watched as he came closer and closer thinking any idiot would pop their head up to look IN FRONT OF THEM. Finally I laid on the horn and the dude stood up and saw us. It wasn't SUPER close, but if I hadn't done anything he would have T boned us.

I took this opportunity as a lesson to my crew. If you are the "captain" your duty's do NOT end if the boat is anchored. My 4 year old now is always scanning our surroundings even while shes playing in the water.

THIS!!!!! Alot of people think if the boat is not moving you can stop thinking.....but that's an entirely different topic.

"Captain" is right. Things can go bad on the water in a hurry. I have been on plenty of peoples boats where no one is really in charge. People look at a 23' boat the same way they would a jet ski, just a toy. I keep my head on a swivel they entire time we are on the water. I don't think I could live with myself if I let someone get hurt on my boat.

Give way? Not sure that makes sense either. He was idling toward his anchor. And from what I gather she came from behind him diagonally essentially cutting him off. At least thats what I got from reading the post.

He says diagonal, not from behind. Also he says going 5 mph, not idling.

Good one.

Uh oh....someone is a little sassy this morning.

Be careful Ruff...I mean Lance...I mean ah forget it. Just be careful.....85 came here to argue and chew some bubblegum. And he's all out of bubblegum....

Edited by DocPhil
  • Like 2

Uh oh....someone is a little sassy this morning.

Be careful Ruff...I mean Lance...I mean ah forget it. Just be careful, 85 came here to argue and chew some bubblegum. And he's all out of bubblegum....

Sassy? Nah. Pointing out that from the description that the bayliner may well have done nothing wrong ain't sassy. Your contributions on the other hand...well....

Nothing wrong? Coming inches away from another boat and endangering lives seems wrong to me, I don't care who is supposed to or not supposed to give way. At some point common sense has to come into play. If I see another boat in my way, I am not going to t-bone them and say, oh well, I had the right of way. Her admitting that she didn't even see the other boat seems wrong to me. If you are behind the wheel it is your responsibility to be aware of what is around you.

Nothing wrong? Coming inches away from another boat and endangering lives seems wrong to me, I don't care who is supposed to or not supposed to give way. At some point common sense has to come into play. If I see another boat in my way, I am not going to t-bone them and say, oh well, I had the right of way. Her admitting that she didn't even see the other boat seems wrong to me. If you are behind the wheel it is your responsibility to be aware of what is around you.

Longbeard, of course. Thought that goes without saying. That said, there are still rights of way on the water. May well be OP was totally in the right and and had the right of way, there's just too much not addressed in the description which I hope we get which we can all learn from. We just don't know. It's not about pointing the finger, it should be about learning and understanding how to prevent in the future. Lets face it OP didn't see the other boat either, it was a a passenger! I'd bet most people on here don't even realize the rules for oncoming, overtaking, and crossing vessels. It's not as if having a malibu and not a pontoon inures you with knowing the rules. I think the other thread is really a great, and timely, one about righst of way, and great reminders expecially on busy waterways where the movement of one boat affects many others who would collide without everyone honoring navigational rules.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

I guess we are looking at it differently. In my mind, even if the OP is in the wrong regarding the rules of the road, that should have resulted in the other boat slowing and avoiding with plenty of distance, and maybe telling the OP that they had the right of way, Not plowing ahead with total disregard.

Given that logic, I think you're well within your rights to relieve yourself outside their tent/camper door. After all, it's fine as long as you don't hit them...

Even better, "you didn't see them"!

I guess we are looking at it differently. In my mind, even if the OP is in the wrong regarding the rules of the road, that should have resulted in the other boat slowing and avoiding with plenty of distance, and maybe telling the OP that they had the right of way, Not plowing ahead with total disregard.

Nope, we see it the precise same. Everyone is responsible for their own actions, or lack thereof, and failing to keep a lookouit, and ignorance of navigational rules is simply part of that. Keep in mind from the description that OP didn't see her either. I'm really curious to hear the angle she was coming from so we can all learn.

Edited by 85 Barefoot
  • Like 2

Sure 85 but it makes sense that he didn't see her if she approached diagonally from the right and behind. I am just not sure how your supposed to give way when your pulling up to an anchor at 5 mph basically idling. The bayliner squeeking between him and the shoreline it sounds like she would have hit him if he hadn't put it in reverse. For all purposes it sounds like she would have came very close if he had been standing still and there is no excusing that.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

Sure 85 but it makes sense that he didn't see her if she approached diagonally from the right and behind. I am just not sure how your supposed to give way when your pulling up to an anchor at 5 mph basically idling. The bayliner squeeking between him and the shoreline it sounds like she would have hit him if he hadn't put it in reverse. For all purposes it sounds like she would have came very close if he had been standing still and there is no excusing that.

From a practical perspective I agree with you, if that's what happened. From the description however, I don't see how anyone is assuming she came from his rear because from the sound of it to me, she'd would have hit the shore. However, notably, the rules (Coast Guard Navigation Rule 15) don't distinguish the angle of approach with regard to the give way vessel. This going to be a good discussion I think once we hear more about where she was.

• Like 1