Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

400 HP Indmar Raptor!

NorrisMike

Comparing fleet towing vehicles to boats isnt apples to apples either. If the boat industry cared about fuel economy, we would all be running 4bt diesels.

Just saying that if it is as bad on fuel as talked about on some Ford forums and from owners, I don't see how Indmar is going to make it more fuel efficient. Instead of averaging 60 gal on a weekend you average 80 gal and 20 trips a year at $4 a gallon = $1,600 more in fuel a year. Some people might order it just because it is a Ford, others that don't care what make powers their boat will go for more efficient engines.

Edited by MLBurns

Just saying that if it is as bad on fuel as talked about on some Ford forums and from owners, I don't see how Indmar is going to make it more fuel efficient. Instead of averaging 60 gal on a weekend you average 80 gal and 20 trips a year at $4 a gallon = $1,600 more in fuel a year. Some people might order it just because it is a Ford, others that don't care what make powers their boat will go for more efficient engines.

The poor fuel economy in a raptor has nothing to do with the engine. It is the 104lb 35" tires on the 4 corners.

I also heard some boat companies were having difficulty accommodating the height of the new Ford motor. Therefore the ones with more freeboard could switch sooner. MB, SUPRA, TIGE.

Fuel economy on the 440hp 6.2 Ford seems pretty darn close if not a little better than the LS3. This is my personal experience with quite a few hours behind a Ford equipped SA. The cool thing about it, is the more you load it up with weight, the better it performs. It will handle more weight than my LS3, for sure.........

• Like 1

Fuel economy on the 440hp 6.2 Ford seems pretty darn close if not a little better than the LS3. This is my personal experience with quite a few hours behind a Ford equipped SA. The cool thing about it, is the more you load it up with weight, the better it performs. It will handle more weight than my LS3, for sure.........

Are the ford motors requiring the more aggressive props too?

Comparing an old sbc 5.7 to the newer motors is kind of funny. There is a reason they are stopping production. It is an old platform that has long past it's engineering base.

he new ls's are much more efficient and even fords new line is much better.
Like I said before, if we truly care about fuel efficiency and power, get a diesel.
The 6.2 will have much more hp then the old sbc's so people will load them out heavier then complain because of fuel.
The ls's are great motors and personally I think the ford 6.2 may be slightly less fuel efficient then the ls 6.2(ls3) but they will both be much better then an old sbc 5.7 and ford is also cheaper.

If it were me I would prefer a nice small turbo diesel.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/engines/diesel/tier-three/4.2L/?model=1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey...that surf expo where they will debut this is tomorrow, and right around the corner from me. Looks like it is a trade only show, though. So if any of you are in the industry and want to register me, I'll be happy to take a bunch of pictures for you.

And if any of you dealers are in town to attend this show...hows about a pass for me? :)

"More than three years in the making with over 4,500 hours of extreme lab, durability and open water testing..."

Is 4,500 hours of testing supposed to be a big number??? To me that sounds like close to nothing.

Mike

Edited by mlange

We once tried to kill a triton 5.4l also.....but in a truck. Long story as to why, but here's the short end.

We drained all the coolant .......and oil. Let it run at idle and it went FOUR FREAKIN HOURS.....still running. Decided to ramp up the rpm to 2500 or so... It ran for about 2 more hours before it finally stopped. Pulled her out and tore her down to see what failed and the only real noticeable damage was scored cam journals, the right side cam finally seized and cause it to stop running. The main and rod bearings still looked extremely good, only slight signs of over heating .

The bottom end on the triton modular series is very stout. 6.2 is the same basic design.

• Like 2