Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

STE (Silent Tip Exhaust) by Hydro Power

stork

::::Warning - Advertisement::::

We still have some tips in stock, and can get inline versions for those that want a faster solution.

http://www.smoothwatersports.com/equipstor...wAll=Yes&cat=35

Peter. :)

Peter: I see that you have installed the STE inline before the mufflers, any reason that these couldn't be installed after the muffers?

are there any plans to make ste's with downturns?

The STE tips have a slight deflection to the tip, but are not downturns. The 90 degree downturns make the sound louder with fiberglass platforms, for the sound waves reverberate between swim deck and water.

The 90 degree turn downs are also no longer offered.

Peter

Peter: I see that you have installed the STE inline before the mufflers, any reason that these couldn't be installed after the muffers?

Yes, the tips have a angled outlet specifically for use on an Indmar powerplant in a direct drive Malibu. While I could likely order a straight set we do not have them in stock.

Only other potential issue for me would be vibration against the fiberglass and size to fit under the floor.

Peter

are there any plans to make ste's with downturns?

The STE tips have a slight deflection to the tip, but are not downturns. The 90 degree downturns make the sound louder with fiberglass platforms, for the sound waves reverberate between swim deck and water.

The 90 degree turn downs are also no longer offered.

Peter

I just got these about a month ago is this not a 90 degree downturn. Worked great on my boat. Haven't noticed any issues with the fiberglass platform.

Doesn't show the downturn very well, try a better pic later

post-1292-1149902140_thumb.jpg

Edited by NvBoarder
  • 4 weeks later...
Just want to put in my 2 cents....

I have a 2006 RLXi - after a 2003, 2004 & 2005 RLXi, so I have a pretty good reference point.

Each of the others had Silent Riders. This year we ordered it with Silent Riders and added in line STE's after it arrived. It is absolutely quieter at all speeds while anywhere in the boat. Not quite a car, but closer than I ever would have thought. A real world reference is that the driver could always hear conversations from the back seat over the engine while under way. However, the back seat could never hear the driver. Now the driver can hear everything loud and clear, and those in the back can hear the driver.

As far as noise level for skiers goes, I really don't know yet. The water is just about 60 degrees. I did ski the other day but was too busy worrying about being cold (no wet or dry suit) to pay attention to the noise level.

In any event, this is one of the best bang for the buck things you can do to a boat - IMHO.

Just want to put in my 2 cents....

I have a 2006 RLXi - after a 2003, 2004 & 2005 RLXi, so I have a pretty good reference point.

Each of the others had Silent Riders. This year we ordered it with Silent Riders and added in line STE's after it arrived. It is absolutely quieter at all speeds while anywhere in the boat. Not quite a car, but closer than I ever would have thought. A real world reference is that the driver could always hear conversations from the back seat over the engine while under way. However, the back seat could never hear the driver. Now the driver can hear everything loud and clear, and those in the back can hear the driver.

As far as noise level for skiers goes, I really don't know yet. The water is just about 60 degrees. I did ski the other day but was too busy worrying about being cold (no wet or dry suit) to pay attention to the noise level.

In any event, this is one of the best bang for the buck things you can do to a boat - IMHO.

What is a Silent Rider? I am considering going to the effort/expense of quieting my 2005 Response LXi down. I'm a little confused as to whether I should add the in-line STE or add the exhaust tips or both or go for the FAE (still not sure that would work with my Wedge or not).

Is this something that can be added on as an option from the factory or is it only aftermarket? Also what type of power loss do you see, don't tell me none, it is noticable or not is really what I want to know.

It is both a factory and aftermarket option. No power loss at all, that's the beauty of it.

Peter

My guess it is better to order it with the boat for a cleaner install?

Peter can correct me if I'm wrong, but ordering the option will be less expensive than having the tips installed after you have the boat.

Scott, Silent Riders are an optional muffler. You could add these, in-line STEs, or both. I'm guessing the STEs would make more of a difference if you're looking at one or the other.

Peter can correct me if I'm wrong, but ordering the option will be less expensive than having the tips installed after you have the boat.

Scott, Silent Riders are an optional muffler. You could add these, in-line STEs, or both. I'm guessing the STEs would make more of a difference if you're looking at one or the other.

Thanks for the info. Doubt I would change out my muffler, but I'm still curious which between the in-line STE's or the exhaust tips would be the best option? Which of these two are the best? Is it okay to add both the in-line and exhaust tips if I wanted even more sound suppresion? If so, would that actually give me twice the noise reduction? I'm curious if there's ever been any comparisons between either of these noise reduction methods vs. the FAE? The FAE website is impressive. If only it would work with the wedge.

AFAIK, the inline or tips would have the same result. Peter would have to chime in here regarding doing both. I believe inline is less expensive if you are having it done.

Personally I feel the tips offer more, but just my opinion. I have not tested the two side by side.

I would also not think that duplicating the effort with both tips and inlines would make enough difference to justify the cost.

Peter

The inlines look pretty easy to do it yourself. Do you just cut a small section out with a hack saw? Would they quiet a mufflerless Sporty down about as much as the white fiberglass mufflers that are in my Skier? I don't want my Sporty nearly as quiet as a Nautique , but would like to stop the ringing in my ears after a long ride in the back seat.

YOU are not supposed to ride in the back seat. :)

Sometimes on long ride it's best to let the children drive. Biggrin.gif

15 yo Son does not want me to mess with the boat in any way. He likes the sound just the way it is. Mrs. 88 can't belive I didn't order mufflers. Maybe someday when we go out in a test ride of a quiet new Lxi, she will be the one pushing for the new boat. Innocent.gif

Maybe someday when we go out in a test ride of a quiet new Lxi, she will be the one pushing for the new boat. Innocent.gif

NOW you're talking!!!