Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

MDC Repair

mainekneeboarder

I have a set of Medallion gauges that were replaced with analog's when the MDC-1600 began intermittently acting up (oil & tach). All look like new and worked when the MDC wasn't doing it's occasional acting up.

$50 plus shipping...send me a PM if interested.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• 7 months later...

My medallion is out of a 03 response Lxi. It’s mmdc not mdc  

7018-00002-01 rev c

has anyone re soldered these? The prongs are not the same as the posted pics and the contacts look good. I guess I’ll resolder anyway. 🙏

Hi Guys, 
I know this is an old thread. I have a 98 sunsetter vlx. All gauges working currently except 1 of them. I performed all troubleshooting, and it does appear to be the MDC. I am going to attempt to resolder the pins but there is a thick glue or rubber sealant over top of the pins. What's the best way to clean this off for soldering?

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2022 at 5:44 PM, hatchie said:

My medallion is out of a 03 response Lxi. It’s mmdc not mdc  

7018-00002-01 rev c

has anyone re soldered these? The prongs are not the same as the posted pics and the contacts look good. I guess I’ll resolder anyway. 🙏

@hatchi  What gauges did you use and how did you connect them to bypass the MDC? Did you find a plug connector to connect the input plug into your new gauges. 

@star82 the very easy way to ditch the Medallion MDC or MMDC is a TRD kit https://skiboatpartsonline.com/Inboard-Ski-Boat-Parts/TRD-Conversion-Kit-Medallion-MDC-1600-1/ 

I've done it to my 03 Response LXi. Comes with a plug in wiring harness adaptor so really easy to fit. I used the '1208' kit so got harness, 5" multiguage and 5" GPS speedo so approx half the delivered cost of a replacement MMDC. Big bonus new gauges and there is no chance of a future failed medallion :-) 

On 7/13/2022 at 9:35 AM, Mwh0211 said:
20 hours ago, uk_exile said:

@star82 the very easy way to ditch the Medallion MDC or MMDC is a TRD kit https://skiboatpartsonline.com/Inboard-Ski-Boat-Parts/TRD-Conversion-Kit-Medallion-MDC-1600-1/ 

I've done it to my 03 Response LXi. Comes with a plug in wiring harness adaptor so really easy to fit. I used the '1208' kit so got harness, 5" multiguage and 5" GPS speedo so approx half the delivered cost of a replacement MMDC. Big bonus new gauges and there is no chance of a future failed medallion :-) 

Thanks @uk_exile, I saw those online. Price tag for my boat is around $1,300 so I'm looking for a less expensive alternative. I followed @mainekneeboarder suggestion and pulled the mdc apart to re-solder it, but there are sooo many connectors that I don't have a clue where to solder.  Still trying to get answers.

On 9/14/2020 at 2:58 PM, mainekneeboarder said:

Well Round 2! My gauges started the same symptoms this summer and then finally got to the point I really had to pull/prey at the plug to make them work again. Pulled the MDC apart last week and re soldered the same pins, put a few hours on it this weekend and all is great again. My oil pressure gauge had started wondering again early summer and now is steady after repair also. Well worth the time for a 5-6 year fix!

@mainekneeboarderI pulled my mdc apart and would like to follow your advice, but there are so many small circuit connectors, I don't know where to begin (see image https://ibb.co/p029Ks7). I sounds like you soldered very specific pins.  What were the pins you focused on?

55 minutes ago, star82 said:

@mainekneeboarderI pulled my mdc apart and would like to follow your advice, but there are so many small circuit connectors, I don't know where to begin (see image https://ibb.co/p029Ks7). I sounds like you soldered very specific pins.  What were the pins you focused on?

The "P1" prongs just above the dessicant pack in your photo are what he showed in the OP.

@star82 good luck. Once I couldn't fix my MMDC it became a no brainer choice to use TRD as kit was about US$800 compared to US$1200-1600 for MMDC.

@mainekneeboarderDude....Thanks!!  I soldered the pins you suggested and all gauges are working. Saved me a bunch of money. If you find yourself in Cali, give me a holler and I'll buy you a beer.

Edited by star82
On 7/21/2022 at 10:57 AM, UWSkier said:

The "P1" prongs just above the dessicant pack in your photo are what he showed in the OP.

@UWSkierThanks, I soldered them and all gauges are working fine!!

+1 to broken solder joints.  My gauges completely died a couple weeks ago.  Pushed hard on the connectors and they came back.  Pulled it apart and found the broken joints. Busted and repaired pic.  While I was in there, I also hit a few more pins just becuase.

20220731_164603.jpg

20220731_165900.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 7/31/2022 at 11:19 PM, twitchee2 said:

+1 to broken solder joints.  My gauges completely died a couple weeks ago.  Pushed hard on the connectors and they came back.  Pulled it apart and found the broken joints. Busted and repaired pic.  While I was in there, I also hit a few more pins just becuase.

20220731_164603.jpg

20220731_165900.jpg

What did you use to reseal the cover after soldering?

1 hour ago, twitchee2 said:

some grey rtv and some clamps to let it setup

Be careful with regular RTV on copper PC boards.  The RTV contains ammonia and will dissolve the copper traces.  You are very likely OK, especially if you didn't goop it onto the board.

1 hour ago, justgary said:

Be careful with regular RTV on copper PC boards.  The RTV contains ammonia and will dissolve the copper traces.  You are very likely OK, especially if you didn't goop it onto the board.

Yes. I agree with you, rtv. can be nasty. I was careful to do a thin layer.  Good info for others however.

Edited by twitchee2
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I’m new to this issue. Originally had the fuel gauge not working this spring (needle is up and to the right of normal range). Replaced the sender and giggled and removed and pushed the 5 pin at the mdc now none of the 4 gauges work :lol:. So figured I’d take the mdc apart and resolder the 5 pin. 

here’s the problem. The 1/4” bolt of the 18-pin is spinning in place! Feels like the captive nut is spinning inside the board. What the hell just my luck. Anyone run in to this?

21 minutes ago, Indebound said:

Anyone run in to this?

Not that issue. But my Medallion has seen a better day. First big issue with the boat ! UK_Exile just turned me on to these folks. Might be the best route to go.

Gauge Kits

Steve B.

1 hour ago, Indebound said:

I’m new to this issue. Originally had the fuel gauge not working this spring (needle is up and to the right of normal range). Replaced the sender and giggled and removed and pushed the 5 pin at the mdc now none of the 4 gauges work :lol:. So figured I’d take the mdc apart and resolder the 5 pin. 

here’s the problem. The 1/4” bolt of the 18-pin is spinning in place! Feels like the captive nut is spinning inside the board. What the hell just my luck. Anyone run in to this?

The nut behind the connector appears to be just pressed in place in the plastic housing.  If your nut is definitely spinning, you could probably gently pry the connector apart and bring the nut with it.

2 hours ago, justgary said:

The nut behind the connector appears to be just pressed in place in the plastic housing.  If your nut is definitely spinning, you could probably gently pry the connector apart and bring the nut with it.

Thanks Gary. I haven’t seen what it’s like inside so I’ll try this. Just trying not to pull the wires. 

On 8/21/2020 at 4:12 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

I would be real careful on how you winterize the MDC since water ingress is the big thing that blows them up.

Man…I have never winterized the mdc. I guess I didn’t understand how the pitot tubes actually worked. I thought the water/air membrane was closer to the transom. Lol

So I did the solder and reconnected the mdc. The ohms on the pink to ground was 59 then I added 8 gals and it read 90. The fuel gauge was the real culprit with some intermittent issues on the MDC. Well, the fuel gauge still doesn’t work and since the ohms seem to check out I think the 4-gauge cluster needs replacing (or maybe I should take that apart?)

does anyone know how much a new cluster is buying direct through medallion?