Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Particle board?!

Ok so I have talked to the original owner and he gave me a pretty complete history on the boat, and claims that no repair jobs have ever be done to the boat (nothing to the wood work anyways). Maybe he'll speak up on this post....

This all seems very strange. Well at least you are finding it now and getting it all fixed right so that it will last. You should be able to keep going with your fine looking boat for a long time now.

well my thanks to george bush. I only wish the real george bush had as much integrity to stand by what someone says. I am not going to git in a pissin match on the web site about the boat. If anyone would like to chat with me lets do it in person instead of hiding behind the internet. Thanks george for taking what I said as the truth. I have integrity and would not lie to you. what the hell do I care.

I sold the boat, bought another boat because I wanted one and in truth we have our own boat that is given to us for a year for the lake and then turned in. I wiould only tell the truth becuase the boat is gone from me and I was reimbursed a more than reasonable ammount considering its age. All you who have your conclusions and hypothesis about the boat, might not want to give up your day job.

the boat was never fixed by a cheap a.. idiot as one said. What a statement. Quite a vocabulary. Someone else stated that it had to be fixed and implied I was lying, thanks for your two cents; keep it and use it somewhere else.

The boat was always kept out of the water,never moored, kept inside during all winter months in the great NW. In CA it was kept inside most and stored outside for a while but in the dry. I would like to know the truth as would GW. GW, I can only wish you the best and I would love to see the fixes and where the problems were when we meet up some time. And to everyone else who knows the "truth" thanks for your time.

My apologies. You have to realize though that there are people that would do that, fix it cheap & dirty to get it sold. From where I'm sitting it's a very reasonable & logical conclusion to reach, much more so than the possibility that it came from the factory that way. (Even the cheapest POS Bayliner doesn't have particle board in it, this just doesn't seem possible.) Like you, I don't know what happened with the boat. As obski said, it's very strange all the way through.

Well there is one bad thing and one good thing about this.

Good thing, you arn't lying!

Bad thing, some Malibu employees were either lazy or took out their crappy day on a boat and totally skimped on it.

This thread is going to cause many people with older Malibus to go running to look at their floors to see what they're made of.

That may not be a bad thing...unless they pull up their carpet only to find that its all okay and now they have to relay the carpet :lol:

Why doesn't someone talk to Malibu about this to see if they can give you the facts?

I repaired a old fiberglass fishing boat when I was in college. The floor was glassed marine plywood. It was so rotten that when I removed it, it came apart in pieces and loked like particle board. Do you think there is any chance that this could be the case here. I just find it impossible to believe that a boat builder of any caliber would do this.

Why doesn't someone talk to Malibu about this to see if they can give you the facts?

I repaired a old fiberglass fishing boat when I was in college. The floor was glassed marine plywood. It was so rotten that when I removed it, it came apart in pieces and loked like particle board. Do you think there is any chance that this could be the case here. I just find it impossible to believe that a boat builder of any caliber would do this.

No, I looked at it myself, its PB. Hopefully the shop as not throwen it all out, I would like to have a scrap or too to show off at the NW WOW. I don't even know where to start with contacting Malibu... the boat was made 18 years ago! But your right I would like to hear what they say. Anyone know who/how to contact for something like this?

No, I looked at it myself, its PB. Hopefully the shop as not throwen it all out, I would like to have a scrap or too to show off at the NW WOW. I don't even know where to start with contacting Malibu... the boat was made 18 years ago! But your right I would like to hear what they say. Anyone know who/how to contact for something like this?

Just call down there and tell them the concern and they will hook you up with the right person to deal with. We have found that they usually have time to talk about just about anything I can come up with to ask about.

Joe