Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Lime Green LSV

NorrisMike

I don't understand your post, Shawn. Don't you have almost everything on that list in your boat? I raise and lower my tower several times a week, but I still wouldn't bite on a power tower. As for the lack of functionality of a big stereo, I beg to differ. It's a BIG part of the experience for my family, and I'm not a "stereo guy." I've never put so much as ONE piece of aftermarket audio in a car. I'd also submit to you that 18's serve a functional purpose. Trailer tracks better, less wandering.

My semi-ironical tongue in cheek post was meant to point out that the whole point of these fiberglass bathtubs is to float a bunch of unnecessary bling. One man's tinted windshield is another man's power folding tower.

As someone who trailers a lot, I can totally see the benefit of a tower that can be trailered in the down position and pop right back up when you get to the lake. Of course I'm too cheap to ever buy one myself, but I can see how it could appeal. same goes for putting in and out of a garage regularly.

Most everyone who has a power wedge seems to be pretty sold on it, even though there's a pretty well documented history of eventual actuator failures. Now figure the wedge probably goes up and down 10-50 times a day, underwater. A tower you'd raise and lower much less frequently, and without the stress of the mech parts being underwater. I don't see why a power tower couldn't be executed well and reliably.

Edited by shawndoggy

fat sac fill station

That's what it looks like to me too. Pretty confident you won't be seeing that as an option, that's admitting that you need more ballast.

Where did that pic come from?

That's what it looks like to me too. Pretty confident you won't be seeing that as an option, that's admitting that you need more ballast.

Where did that pic come from?

If I told ya I'd have to kill ya ;) haha it's the same boat with the G4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That picture has the old dash. I think we can conclude that it is not a current model year boat with that option.

That's not a current model year but has a G4? How come it couldn't have new features as well? What better way to hide a product and test it than to put it on a couple year old boat. Nobody even suspects it.

So, the new G4 has a nice flip back tow bar for garage clearance. I noticed that the bimini on these towers looks like the CS Slider. Perhaps there is a new bimini that we haven't seen yet, but the CS Slider bimini will kill the garage clearance unless this tower some how positions the CS bimini to slide down past the steering wheel towards the floor. I'm hoping we haven't seen the new bimini yet.

My gut feeling is that this tower is not a power tower. I agree with others that the design looks like it would be amenable to power actuation, but my gut is telling me it isn't power for the following reasons:

1) The press release by Mr. Springer mentioned a number of new features about the tower (e.g., integrated LED lights, space age aluminum, etc.) but no mention of a power feature, which would be the biggest departure from the past towers. So naturally, I would expect the power feature to be mentioned over LED lights and large swivel speakers

2) I've communicated with a couple people that are somewhat in the know about the tower (admittedly they are NOT fully in the know) and they ironically both said the same thing to me. The people they talked to about the tower mentioned a number of new features, but never said anything about a power feature. Admittedly, neither of them asked about this feature either. Perhaps don't ask, don't tell applies here...

3) No one is asking for a power feature. I'm sure there are a few that would buy it, but know one is clamoring for that feature. My understanding is MC's power tower does not sell well. Why invest a bunch of $$$ when the market analysis probably told Malibu that there is not much demand for this feature.

Just my 2 cents.

So, the new G4 has a nice flip back tow bar for garage clearance. I noticed that the bimini on these towers looks like the CS Slider. Perhaps there is a new bimini that we haven't seen yet, but the CS Slider bimini will kill the garage clearance unless this tower some how positions the CS bimini to slide down past the steering wheel towards the floor. I'm hoping we haven't seen the new bimini yet.

My gut feeling is that this tower is not a power tower. I agree with others that the design looks like it would be amenable to power actuation, but my gut is telling me it isn't power for the following reasons:

1) The press release by Mr. Springer mentioned a number of new features about the tower (e.g., integrated LED lights, space age aluminum, etc.) but no mention of a power feature, which would be the biggest departure from the past towers. So naturally, I would expect the power feature to be mentioned over LED lights and large swivel speakers

2) I've communicated with a couple people that are somewhat in the know about the tower (admittedly they are NOT fully in the know) and they ironically both said the same thing to me. The people they talked to about the tower mentioned a number of new features, but never said anything about a power feature. Admittedly, neither of them asked about this feature either. Perhaps don't ask, don't tell applies here...

3) No one is asking for a power feature. I'm sure there are a few that would buy it, but know one is clamoring for that feature. My understanding is MC's power tower does not sell well. Why invest a bunch of $$$ when the market analysis probably told Malibu that there is not much demand for this feature.

Just my 2 cents.

You guess wrong. You're gonna get me in trouble by making me post vid. Of it going up and down.....by itself.

Those thicker tower bases will be key to a stonger and sturdier tower, that can be lowered easier and faster, quick releases. Also suggests a stonger, easier to deploy and stow bimini, which both are great.

Anyone who says the G3 is easy and quick to put up and down alone, let me on your boat and I will show you 1-2" of flex in about 10 seconds.

But the first thing I think about when I see those tower bases is how long will it take Malibu to work out the kinks on installation and bracing so they dont get gel stress cracks at the bases within the first years? Hopefully NONE.

Feel free to drop by anytime. I have a pregnant wife and it's always a one man show. Always raised and lowered from outside the boat.

Prove it--you won't get in trouble.

Think about it for a second :). If the release mech is on the back of the leg on the tower like a previous poster said to have "played with it." Who is gonna be in front of the tower to catch it when you pull the mech?

Ok, I guess I'm gonna be the first to say a tower that thick is not gonna go over well with me. Think about how big your blind spot is gonna be with that huge base. I LOVE my T3 because I can see every where around my boat.

• Like 3

Think about it for a second :). If the release mech is on the back of the leg on the tower like a previous poster said to have "played with it." Who is gonna be in front of the tower to catch it when you pull the mech?

It is possible that large base has an internal spring and there are detention points at the top and bottom for locking the tower in place. But, if you have video proof, then I guess you know the truth... I'm only guessing here. I don't have a video.

I'm hoping it isn't power, but it very well may be.

Edited by Cory

wait a second, in light of the size of the legs, is this thing going to telescope inside of itself? In other words, no angles, just a linear upward motion?

that base looks like a pivot point.

That's not a current model year but has a G4? How come it couldn't have new features as well? What better way to hide a product and test it than to put it on a couple year old boat. Nobody even suspects it.

Now are we assuming that G4 was on that boat? Haha.. I was going to say something to that regards but because that picture did not show the tower, I wasn't going to assume it had it. Either case, factory has build boats that they do crazy things with and try out products. This is likely one of those boats. That boat had the older (pre 2013) windshield with the G4... anything is possible.

wait a second, in light of the size of the legs, is this thing going to telescope inside of itself? In other words, no angles, just a linear upward motion?[/quote

Ahh I said going up and down by itself :) you're a smart fella!

wait a second, in light of the size of the legs, is this thing going to telescope inside of itself? In other words, no angles, just a linear upward motion?[/quote

Ahh I said going up and down by itself :) you're a smart fella!

Juuuust kidding, I'm not gonna be the one to spill ALLL the beans!

Those thicker tower bases will be key to a stonger and sturdier tower, that can be lowered easier and faster, quick releases. Also suggests a stonger, easier to deploy and stow bimini, which both are great.

Anyone who says the G3 is easy and quick to put up and down alone, let me on your boat and I will show you 1-2" of flex in about 10 seconds.

But the first thing I think about when I see those tower bases is how long will it take Malibu to work out the kinks on installation and bracing so they dont get gel stress cracks at the bases within the first years? Hopefully NONE.

I raise and drop my tower by myself each and every time. Plenty of people on here posted vids of them doing it with 1 person as well.

You have posted about your singular bad G3 experience over and over. Your tower wasn't adjusted properly and had free play because of it, a problem that is easily fixed by any competent dealer. I weigh 220lbs and can pull the boat all over the lake when wakeboarding if I want to. My tower does not move 1mm even with me pulling on it. Your "1-2 inches of flex" is complete bulls*** for a properly adjusted tower unless you intentionally left the tower knobs loose.

It's strange that for the G3 being such a flexing POS, they never needed extra blocks like the one Nautique has been supplying for years to keep them from coming loose. It is the black bracket in the picture below:

11454406705_88f72a1e5b.jpg

Those brackets completely negate the ability of the tower to fold. What good is a lever if you have 2 brackets with 4 bolts that requires tools anyway? There are even pictures all over the Roswell website showing these brackets on the towers that eliminate the ability to fold. When you guys are talking about how much better these Roswell towers are, I dont know if you arent familiar with these problems, or are just ignoring them. I'm sure not confident yet that all of those problems have been fixed on the new designs, since many of those pictures are from 2012 boats.

http://www.roswellwakeair.com/images_products/oem/1.jpg

http://www.roswellwakeair.com/images_products/oem/6.jpg

http://www.roswellwakeair.com/images_products/oem/16.jpg

Even better are your posts showing problems and broken parts with your Nautique tower. Strange you don't share those here when bashing the G3?

http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/showthread.php?29662-2012-230-Tower-problems

Edited by Brett B
  • Like 2