Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23 LSV and evolution cover owners - need your help

wakeboarder3780

I bought a evolution for my 08 LSV based on all the raving on this site. I like Cory and I like the cover design, but my experience with this cover leaves a lot of room for improvement. The bottom line is we all use our covers differently. Some users tow, some users moor, and some do a combination. My boat sits in heated storage Oct-April and then on a lift out in the elements June-Oct. I have two loops sewn in and I still get pooling and way more water in my boat than I should. My evolution is only two years old. It leaks significantly around the windshield, around the tower, and 8 times out of 10 after a good rain, my engine tray is full and I have water in my lockers as well. I have tried everything and spoken to Cory twice. I have experimented with all kinds of setups and have the thing about a dialed in as possible at this point. I still get small pools near the tower but they are manageable. I bought this cover to replace my stock 6 year old cover and frankly the evo barely keeps the boat any drier.

Achtung, I'm betting you need to re-waterproof that cover. There is no way these covers leak near the windshield or over the engine. 303 has worked for me.

• 4 weeks later...

As for slant, in the past that was my saving grace. I used the slant of the driveway and jacked the trailer jack all the way up to help increase the tilt. This helped me not pool pretty often. Now that I live on the lake, my boat is either on the lift or floating on the water and either way the boat will be level. This prevents me from helping the cover out by using slant.

As for adding another tower loop I think that's completely valid and an excellent idea. I also think an additional rub rail clip between the back two i have now would really help keep it tight. And also, my cover is just too damn loose now from all the stretching. I am very close to my straps being bottomed out.

I can and eventually will call Cory. I just feel like a jerk because I feel at fault and I know this is his busy season. So I know I'll be without a cover for a while. I also didn't mention I need to get some skirts added, so I know it will be a while if I bug him now. I guess I was just trying to get some perspective before throwing in the towel.

When I think about being without a cover, the fact that i want to add skirts, and I think about how god forsaken hot the boat now gets with a black cover, I sometimes think maybe I should just start all over and have him make a completely new white/light tan/light gray cover, but of course the cost... eh...

Does the hangtyte also vent? Or is it "just" an anchor point. So far the plain old D-ring has been holding up quite well.

Wakeboarder, can you put some slant on your lift? I was just talking with a guy down here about lifts and he suggested the dual motor lift (his is single) and pointed to his neighbor who has his set so the front is higher then the back. He said the neighbor used to get pooling, but since he slanted it, for the most part it just runs off.

Just put bricks under the front feet of my uncle's hoist last week to do the same thing... depending on your lift style Gary's idea might be easier/work too

This is the thing that has me worried about buying a custom cover. With the v-drives, you have a platform in the rear so you only have to worry about a few feet unsupported. With the DD of the XTi, the opening goes to the back of the boat, not sure how effective holding the cover tight would work. Mine pools with poles installed. But I don't have an evo cover.

Edited by Falko

Is it safe to say that smaller boats like my Echelon (shorter length, narrower beam) are better candidates for the Evo cover? I need to replace my current ratty old cover someday.

Is it safe to say that smaller boats like my Echelon (shorter length, narrower beam) are better candidates for the Evo cover? I need to replace my current ratty old cover someday.

I'd say true for any cover.

• Like 1

Surprised to see a bungee instead of a Hangtyte

You can use whatever you like on it. The cover has a D ring on it. Use a motorcycle tie down, bungee cord, piece of ski rope, surfboard tie down, whatever you like. Evolution has had the D-ring option for several years before Hangtyte was ever heard of.

This is the thing that has me worried about buying a custom cover. With the v-drives, you have a platform in the rear so you only have to worry about a few feet unsupported. With the DD of the XTi, the opening goes to the back of the boat, not sure how effective holding the cover tight would work. Mine pools with poles installed. But I don't have an evo cover.

My brother & another buddy have XTIs, and both have the factory covers. Since the engine cover is large & right in the middle of that particular model of boat, they just park something on it to support the cover.....ie; tube, bucket, stack of PFDs, whatever. Sew a D-ring on the cover, right under the tower, and use that to support the cover from above. It's a lot easier to install. Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Do you have any support system in your boat? I have two PVC tubes with partial cut T-fittings on each end that clip onto the grab handles. They bow up (using relief cuts) and form a bit of a covered wagon effect. Haven't had any pooling water in the rear corners since I made them. Took about 15 minutes to make them and less than 30 seconds to install each time. They don't move.

Do you have any support system in your boat? I have two PVC tubes with partial cut T-fittings on each end that clip onto the grab handles. They bow up (using relief cuts) and form a bit of a covered wagon effect. Haven't had any pooling water in the rear corners since I made them. Took about 15 minutes to make them and less than 30 seconds to install each time. They don't move.

Hey, not a bad idea. Trailerable?

I have 3 support posts - bow, in front of engine, behind engine. My fabric is Sunbrella. Previous owner liked fireworks and seems to have had some proximity issues (burn holes).

I used to have something similar setup in my 205. It worked great for rain. But any wet, heavy snow would collapse it. And was definitely not trailerable at freeway speeds..... maybe it would have been stronger if I'd used larger diameter PVC?

DSC00429_zpseb7316eb.jpgDSC00424_zps1bf66938.jpgDSC00421_zps577b90a4.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Hey, not a bad idea. Trailerable?

My (non-Evo) cover itself is not trailerable due to the fact that it wraps all the way under the platform and comes back forward to tie to the prop guard. Would be a big parachute at the back of the boat. We throw the supports in the boat if we are planning on staying long enough to need the cover.

Exactly like Bill's, but shorter/not as much curve. Diameter looks the same and we haven't had it collapse yet in 3 nasty winters. One with cover alone, one with cover and grey tarp, and last year with the cover and a grey tarp lean-to against the side of the garage. After a couple snowfalls the side away from the garage let go so the boat carried snow on one side between cleanings.

Edited by jk13

Most of the pics and problems look to me like operator error. I'm not a big fan of the bungee cord for my tower loop. Use rope it doesn't give when under pressure.

I imagine my boat is either in the water or on my hoist and make sure my boat is in the same position when it's on the trailer. I have not had issues when following this. Look at my avatar. Rope for tower loop and it is a 23 lsv.

Remember loose the bungee. Rope is king.

• 1 year later...

Called down and talked with Cory this afternoon. He was very informative about his product. Walked me through how he has got to where he is today with his product. Going to give him a try. For the options we have up here in Canada there isn't many options to try a local upholstery/ cover maker. And for his price no one around can even come close to trying to make one. Order and deposit tomorrow. ?

Different cover, different country, different tie down method but similar pooling issue unless the bow is slightly high. I have two tower loops  side by side about 20" apart and a bit of tension on those works like a charm, bungy around the top board racks when parked bottom when towing.

As for a 1k cover that is a pipe dream here.