Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wicked wakesurf after market sur gate review

Utisnumber1

Can you guys with experience with this product comment on which propeller you've had the best results with? I just got my Wicked Wakesurf gates and am getting things ready. I have a 2008 VLX with the 340 Monsoon and the stock Acme 537 prop. I'm thinking I should change to something like the 1235?

I had the 340 Monsoon on my 23LSV and the 1235 was at its limit. I was running full stock +450s in the rear lockers and 800 on the floor, no wedge. Running evenly weighted with no list requires a lot more push power.

• 3 months later...

Can you guys with experience with this product comment on which propeller you've had the best results with? I just got my Wicked Wakesurf gates and am getting things ready. I have a 2008 VLX with the 340 Monsoon and the stock Acme 537 prop. I'm thinking I should change to something like the 1235?

On our 2008 VLX with WW Gate I run all stock ballatst, 700 lbs in the front, 750's in the rear locker with the surf side slightly more full, wedge all the way down. ACME 1235 at 10.4 mp

20150816_114715.jpg

11814.jpg

20150830_160812.jpg

Tested it out and I must say its amazing the difference in the wake and its totally worth the money... but... I will say... these gates DO NOT FLOAT and they CAN sink... lost my goofy side one in 50ft of water. It slipped off and sank pretty quick. Later in the day we were a the sandbar and took the other side and placed it in the water... it kinda bobbed there and was floating for a second and it flipped over and then it sank. So it depends how its laying in the water if its going to float or sink. Not really sure how Joe at wicked will respond to this... but I plan on calling him Tuesday.

SO... if you have one either tie it up good to the boat for just in case OR attach some kind of extra floating device too it.

Edited by CFH

I almost lost mine too - grabbed it just in time as it started to sink. I'd be curious to learn how other Wicked Wake owners have attached theirs to prevent this.

Also, I'm interested in anyone's insight into my last run with the WW on. 900 lbs bag filled on surf side, filled the other locker bag about half (so 450lbs). All stock ballast filled in bow (2004 Wakesetter 23 LSV). Also wedge all the way down.

I could pull up the rider no problem but I was burying the throttle. I couldn't get over 10mph. I was looking at the perfect pass and it looked like it was in the off position. Is this normal due to all the weight and wedge and wicked wake on?

With the throttle buried for that long the engine eventually "missed" a few times and I got freaked out and shut it down.

Took the boat out for tubing the next day and no issues.

Normal or should I be concerned?

So I talked to Joe at wicked... very good guy. Hes sending out a new one and Ill just pay for the shipping... He didnt comment on the sinking/floating... but I bought a small plastic cylinder that I will screw into the backside of the paddle so if it does fall off again... it'll float without issue. I recommend you all do the same or tie it down to the boat.

When taking it on and off, keep your foot on top of the gate where it slips over the swim deck until you have it secured on or a good grip to pull it off. I also tie the slack of the ribbon from from the ratchet through the ring on the gate in the event that it would fall off while moving.

My WWS gates definitely do not float. I have been attaching a short leash with paracord as a safety, but I plan on gluing some foam or a float to it for insurance that it doesn't sink.

Used the WWS gate this last weekend when listing the boat to starboard with no port side weight. We were surfing starboard side listed and the wave was good but not real clean, since there were only a couple people in the boat and no extra bow weight. I decided to add the port side gate to see what would happen if we used it listed with no weight at all on the port side (since we needed port side locker for storage). Wave cleaned up perfectly and was awesome. Definitely better than just listed over. Wave was same height, but was longer, had more push, and had a clean face.

Also love using the gates with no ballast for teaching beginners. Makes a much longer cleaner face for them to surf with the rope on.

• 1 month later...

My WWS gates definitely do not float. I have been attaching a short leash with paracord as a safety, but I plan on gluing some foam or a float to it for insurance that it doesn't sink.

Used the WWS gate this last weekend when listing the boat to starboard with no port side weight. We were surfing starboard side listed and the wave was good but not real clean, since there were only a couple people in the boat and no extra bow weight. I decided to add the port side gate to see what would happen if we used it listed with no weight at all on the port side (since we needed port side locker for storage). Wave cleaned up perfectly and was awesome. Definitely better than just listed over. Wave was same height, but was longer, had more push, and had a clean face.

Also love using the gates with no ballast for teaching beginners. Makes a much longer cleaner face for them to surf with the rope on.

Mine do float but I have not seen anyone else that claim the same. Granted, they barely float but still don't go to the bottom.

Id like to update you all is to whats happening with my fitting.

The WW is not fitting properly onto the swim platform as it looks like MY deck has a nonstandard thickness. (it has about 1/2" extra thickness)

Im driving my boat down to the boys and they are going to Custom build for my deck. I dont mind doing it cause Im going to be in there area for business and its on 5 hr drive

Real good guys to deal with. bend over backwards.