Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Official 2014 LSV 23 surf setup thread...

IXFE

Yeah it's not spray. It just kind of creates a line off the surf side gate. Not a big deal but I notice crazy stuff like that.

Edited by kaddman

I went to the river last night to try v.3 of my experimentation. Here's what I did this time...

• Stock ballast filled
  • PnP 800lb. sacs filled
  • 750lb. sac moved to walk thru
  • 550lbs. people/kids all in cabin
  • No people or sacs in the bow
  • Wedge 2 clicks up
  • Speed 12.0
As you can see I'm slowly moving that 750lb. sac back. Before I went to the cabin, I wanted to try it in the walk thru. I told all the kids to stay out of the bow as I know many are speculating the LSV might not need much extra in the bow. Admitedly, the 750 in the walk thru is "close" to having bow weight, but not quite the same... I viewed it as an intermediate step to moving it all way back.
I actually started at 11.0 mph just because that's how I have the surf preset defined. As the wave formed, I could tell it wasn't nearly long enough. I immediately remembered that with less bow weight I'd need more speed to lengthen the wave, so before I even let go of the rope I had my wife bump it all the way to 12.0.
Anyway, here are the results.
Edited by IXFE
  • Like 3

What I've learned so far from my three tests:

1. Wedge: I like 2 clicks (v.2 & v.3) more than I like all the way down (v.1)
  2. Bow weight: You can move the weight back and get similar results as I did in v.3, but you'll need more speed to create your length. The true test will be to take the sac out of the walk thru and really move it back! I have a feeling I won't like that.
  3. Locker weight: I have 800's, and I don't think they are filling all the way (no burp valve). So I'm switching to Sumo 900's. :thumbup:
  4. As others have stated, the surf wave does not seem like it changes much with people movement. I actually think v.2 and v.3 waves are similar (see below, v.2 is the top pic), but v.2 had ~ 1,200 lbs. in the bow (stock + sac + peeps) and v.3 had only 350 in the bow (stock) with the sac moved back to the walk thru and all the peeps in the cabin. Relatively minor difference with just a 0.6 mph increase in speed.

These test results should be helpful to any GOOFY riders. I haven't tried much experimentation on the regular side, mainly because my wife will kill me if I post video of her riding. :innocent:

v.2 (750 sac in bow, speed 11.4)

v2_zps97c8b24d.jpg

v.3 (750 sac in walk thru, speed 12.0)

v3_zpsfd19150a.jpg

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 3
Is your board the Black Pearl? If so, that is what I ride.

The board in those pics is an Inland Surfer Sweet Spot Pro, but it's borrowed. :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Docfill that is awesome. I did the same with my 5 year old this past week.

Just about to order some sumo sacs what is everyone's vote now 750s or 900s. I think 900s but do t want to have too much and have to drain every time to get perfect. Even thought about a 750 and a 900 since everyone is saying extra weight on the coffin side but that may throw a screw in the wakeboard wake. I have 400 ronix bags now and it is not enough. I am thinking use one of those in the coffin or walk through if needed.

Sent into space with tapatalk

doc, you look like you are 11. Are you really doogie howser?

I think it's time for wakeGirl to officially change Dos name to Doogie :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Docfill that is awesome. I did the same with my 5 year old this past week.

Just about to order some sumo sacs what is everyone's vote now 750s or 900s. I think 900s but do t want to have too much and have to drain every time to get perfect. Even thought about a 750 and a 900 since everyone is saying extra weight on the coffin side but that may throw a screw in the wakeboard wake. I have 400 ronix bags now and it is not enough. I am thinking use one of those in the coffin or walk through if needed.

I just ordered Sumo 900's to replace my Ronix 800's. So that's my vote.

Why are you switching from the ronix 800's?

Don't like the Ronix bags... there's no burp valves so there's no way for the air to get out. When the bags seem full, I'm convinced a material portion of the "fill" is actually air.

I had Sumo 750's on my VLX last year and loved them. When I got the LSV this year I just let my dealer install whatever bags they saw fit assuming "a bag is a bag." After a month with the Ronix bags, I'm ready to go back to Sumo.

Well I ordered the 900s and fitting last night. Hope to have them by early next week for instal and test.

Wakemakers is supposed to be coming out with some custom sacs this summer. I have 750 fly highs and the wave is sick. I don't see how you could get much more than 750 back there without a custom sac. I'm not sure if these custom sacs will be worth the cost but I'm excited to see!

Wakemakers is supposed to be coming out with some custom sacs this summer. I have 750 fly highs and the wave is sick. I don't see how you could get much more than 750 back there without a custom sac. I'm not sure if these custom sacs will be worth the cost but I'm excited to see!

Great looks like I may have some 900s for sale soon. A custom sac would be great. I don't think that the 900s will come close to full cap.

NEW UPDATE. To further the wakeage 14' 23 lsv. The discovery of less bow weight is better on these new lsv is still holding true and to take Docphil and others I tried the port coffin ballast idea. WOW! I put my bow V-sac in that left coffin and just made it as straight as I could. It's rated at 650lbs, but I think it only filled to maybe 400-500 lbs. Did not run any xtra ballast up front and only driver and one pax in boat. The boat just leaned over perfectly to create that big nice wave with just the right lip. looked like how the goofy side looks. And the push was so far back I thought I was on a wakeboard. Here is my setup so far, taking and adding from some of the great ballasters on this forum. Full factory ballast ( all Four tanks), 900's in each rear locker filled as much as they will fill. 650lb sac in port coffin (maybe 400 or 500lbs) Wedge 2 clicks up. 10.6mph, I have found on this boat the faster you go, is like adding ballast to the front it lowers the wave height and doesnt add a lot of push with this hull. Oh, and mine is Non-diamond. The one nice thing about the not making a custom sac that xtends into the coffin area is that, if you have goofy side or wakeboarders its very fast to unfill and fill.to keep the wake uniform.IMO.

I agree did the same thing. Docphil is spot on. All stock filled except for front 50 to 75% full. 600 sumo's in rear. a 400 flyhigh in the port filled maybe 3/4 full. wedge about two clicks up and about 10.6, bought a new Fly Boy from Inland and dang I was riding so far back it was crazy...

One thing I noticed was that the starboard side still seemed great as well.

This also got my swim platform lower and reduced the line I was getting off the port surf gate.

Lovin this boat.

To maximize the fill on the sumo 900s. First remove the plastic inserts from very rear storage area. Sacs will pop them up. We then put them under the observers seat bay to hold stuff. Then I took out the port side rear carpet partition, fo max fill on that side. The others hold hoses and stuff so I wouldn't suggest taking those out. Then make sure your sacs are as far back against rear boat wall. You will have to get xtra hose and couplers to loop rear drain so sac sits back. Then when filling, purp occasionally and your set.

Ok this is my thought exactly. I think I'm going to buy one 900 and replace my 600 on port side keeping the 600 on the starboard side and then I'm hoping I don't have to mess around with the coffin. Yes totally agree you need to redo the factory useless 10" PNP that it comes with.

Are you finding any problems with the side panels popping in with the 900's?

Edited by kaddman

I would be careful with this setup.

This is obviously the most logical first thought and for some reason it doesn't work

With the PNP, all the weight is in the back.

The coffin weight rotates the boat more (IMO) to counter the prop rotation.

I would be careful with this setup.

This is obviously the most logical first thought and for some reason it doesn't work

With the PNP, all the weight is in the back.

The coffin weight rotates the boat more (IMO) to counter the prop rotation.

I'm wondering the same thing, I do think the 600's aren't enough weight to take advantage of what this boat can deliver. So thought I would try and if I don't like would just order another 900 to replace both my 600's.