Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Official 2014 LSV 23 surf setup thread...

IXFE

Looking at adding additional ballast over the winter; like to hear some thoughts if this feels right to get a stronger push from the wave, while increasing length and size:

- Replace the 550s in the rear lockers with 1,100s Fly High EXV (into PnP system)

- Add the Fly High Pro X bow ballast bag on top of seats (up to 1,000)

- Have dealer pump a PnP like-line for the front bow sac (is this possible so it's all integrated?)

- Upgrade prop to 2315 or 2419

Anything else I should consider or do differently? Help me spend some money in the winter please ; )

Edited by DAI

Looking at adding additional ballast over the winter; like to hear some thoughts if this feels right to get a stronger push from the wave, while increasing length and size:

- Replace the 550s in the rear lockers with 1,100s Fly High EXV (into PnP system)

- Add the Fly High Pro X bow ballast bag on top of seats (up to 1,000)

- Have dealer pump a PnP like-line for the front bow sac (is this possible so it's all integrated?)

- Upgrade prop to 2315 or 2419

Anything else I should consider or do differently? Help me spend some money in the winter please ; )

Wait on the wakemakers custom rear locker sacs for this boat. They are in testing stages right now. I bet they will be ready by next year. (Sorry for the late reply IXFE on that one)-estimated cost about 700 dollars

Don't buy 1100s. You won't even get them close to full. 750s don't even fill completely.

Yes, add the bow sac. And yes you can just use the existing 3/4 drain near the tranny for an additional pump. I did this on my boat. Works awesome. I actually had them Y off the pump line so it splits to a coffin sac and the bow sac. So I can just flip a valve and fill both. I love the setup. Estimated cost with sacs and install 1000 dollars (DIY 700 dollars)

If you don't run a large crew, invest in the sumo floor sac (800lbs). This seems to be needed for that huge long wave we all want. estimated cost 400 dollars

Go with the 2315. The 2419 will limit your top end speed to like 35 mph. estimated cost 500 dollars

There you go. I just spent like 2500 dollars of your money. Tell your wife she can thank me later. :)

Edited by DocPhil
  • Like 1

Wait on the wakemakers custom rear locker sacs for this boat. They are in testing stages right now. I bet they will be ready by next year. (Sorry for the late reply IXFE on that one)-estimated cost about 700 dollars

Don't buy 1100s. You won't even get them close to full. 750s don't even fill completely.

Yes, add the bow sac. And yes you can just use the existing 3/4 drain near the tranny for an additional pump. I did this on my boat. Works awesome. I actually had them Y off the pump line so it splits to a coffin sac and the bow sac. So I can just flip a valve and fill both. I love the setup. Estimated cost with sacs and install 1000 dollars (DIY 700 dollars)

If you don't run a large crew, invest in the sumo floor sac (800lbs). This seems to be needed for that huge long wave we all want. estimated cost 400 dollars

Go with the 2315. The 2419 will limit your top end speed to like 35 mph. estimated cost 500 dollars

There you go. I just spent like 2500 dollars of your money. Tell your wife she can thank me later. :)

Thanks for the insight on 1,100s, would have been ticked if they did not fill to or near capacity. I will be waiting on the customs.

As much as I would want to DIY on the plumbing the front bow sac, just don't have the time and worth the dealer up charge for me. Where did you have the fill and drain lines come out up front? I'm assuming they are fairly hidden when not using the sac.

The extra weight in the lounge won't fly with wife unfortunately; I'll get away with the bow sac just because no one sits in the bow when surfing. But we always have a decent size crew, typically at least 4-6 adults since we need that many hands to manage the kids on board while underway. My 18 month old is crazy and wants to jump in the water; she has no fear.

I'll make sure wakemakers sends you a commission for the sale.

I heard months ago that Wakemakers.com was going to develop a custom bag for the new LSV that fit the odd shape of the lockers. Any word on whether this happened or not?

Why not just measure it yourself, draw it up, put the holes drain/fill holes wherever you like and order it directly from fly high? They have a custom order form right on their website.

http://www.fatsac.com/PDFs/Custom%20Sac%20Order%20Form.pdf

I ordered multiple bags this way and they fit perfect.

Why not just measure it yourself, draw it up, put the holes drain/fill holes wherever you like and order it directly from fly high? They have a custom order form right on their website.

http://www.fatsac.com/PDFs/Custom%20Sac%20Order%20Form.pdf

I ordered multiple bags this way and they fit perfect.

easy answer...

the fact thay wakemakers.com is supposedly working on one implies that they have figured out the ideal dimensions for me, they have some time in the LSV with the bags to have determined they are "dialed" and since it's not a one-off custom it should arguably be cheaper since they'll leverage the design across dozens or even hundreds of LSV's (wishful thinking?).

Now, if Doc is right and they're charging 700/each, then all bets are off. Might as well go custom at that point.

easy answer...

the fact thay wakemakers.com is supposedly working on one implies that they have figured out the ideal dimensions for me, they have some time in the LSV with the bags to have determined they are "dialed" and since it's not a one-off custom it should arguably be cheaper since they'll leverage the design across dozens or even hundreds of LSV's (wishful thinking?).

Now, if Doc is right and they're charging 700/each, then all bets are off. Might as well go custom at that point.

Wishful thinking is right, those large bags will be in that 7-800 range. I paid less directly from Fly High, than wakemakers is charging for the same bag for my vlx. Plus all the fill/drain holes are where I wanted them.

I made a discovery the other day. We usually surf at 11.4-11.8 with 900s in the back and 6 crew members. For some reason my wife backed off the throttle then went back to full throttle and the boat went over set speed to like 12.5. The wave was a smaller and a little dirty but the push was unreal. I have never been so far back with so much push. The only issue is if you set cruise that high it want get there. Darn ls3 cruise issues. Guess it's new prop time. The 1235 just isn't enough. What speed is everyone running now. I would almost like to start a new thread with everyone's input after a season of trial and error. I know we learn each outing.

Sent into space with tapatalk

I took a lot of pics of the lockers lots of measurements, ect., and sent it to wake makers this spring. They were going to build me the prototype LSV bags. After a month I got tired of waiting and bought the sumo 900's. Maybe next year! I don't think the wave will be any better with that much weight. Just burn more gas.they have the equipment to manufacture their own bags, but not enough time yet. Next year I think that you will see some really good quality bags from them at a reasonable price!

I made a discovery the other day. We usually surf at 11.4-11.8 with 900s in the back and 6 crew members. For some reason my wife backed off the throttle then went back to full throttle and the boat went over set speed to like 12.5. The wave was a smaller and a little dirty but the push was unreal. I have never been so far back with so much push. The only issue is if you set cruise that high it want get there. Darn ls3 cruise issues. Guess it's new prop time. The 1235 just isn't enough. What speed is everyone running now. I would almost like to start a new thread with everyone's input after a season of trial and error. I know we learn each outing.

Sent into space with tapatalk

I surf at 12mph with LS3 + 2315. Easy money.

How much bow rise are you guys getting? Coming from the 2013 I guess I am used to a bow that is lower to start with, but was just playing with 2015 and 800lbs in the walkway and still had a lot of bow rise.

I really hate giving up the bow but I am thinking of getting a 1k triangle sac and being done with it. Then loading up the rear should be "limitless".

How much bow rise are you guys getting? Coming from the 2013 I guess I am used to a bow that is lower to start with, but was just playing with 2015 and 800lbs in the walkway and still had a lot of bow rise.

I really hate giving up the bow but I am thinking of getting a 1k triangle sac and being done with it. Then loading up the rear should be "limitless".

I ran a 750 in the bow, so not much bow rise. In fact is one of the things I disliked about the 22 VLX. I've demo'd twice and noticed the bow riseis way more than I'm used to.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question, might be the last time out for the season and I need some quick help with my wave. I'm limited to my set up, but is there anything I can do to make my wave longer. I currently run full MLS and 550 PnP in the rear at at 10.2 with the wedge deployed 2 clicks up. I know I need more bow weight (winter project) but is there anything I should try differently today? Thanks!

Quick question, might be the last time out for the season and I need some quick help with my wave. I'm limited to my set up, but is there anything I can do to make my wave longer. I currently run full MLS and 550 PnP in the rear at at 10.2 with the wedge deployed 2 clicks up. I know I need more bow weight (winter project) but is there anything I should try differently today? Thanks!

Increased speed should help

Any recommendations on a speed? Like 11 or should I be pushing 12?

Sorry, still learning and looking to experience to get the most out of the last nice weekend (likely).

try 10.8 to start and move up from there

I'm not sold on more bow weight unless you have more weight in the rear. You will get the added length but yoy will loose height. Upgrade those rear PNP's to at least 750's or the sumo 900's. You can always move peeps to the bow in the short term.

Although...

Today I started with our full mas 900 PNP's and approx 1200 in adults (450-500) in the bow rest in cabin, at 11.4 length was good but didn't have the height I expected

then moved every one to the cabin and got the height and length.

I know, pics pics pics, wife was driving I was riding and everyone else was a noob, so we will see what cell phone pics show up tonight.

Edited by Stevo

Any recommendations on a speed? Like 11 or should I be pushing 12?

Sorry, still learning and looking to experience to get the most out of the last nice weekend (likely).

I like 11.8-12. We run 800 pnp bags

You have to order extra hose and loop around so the bags sit in there better otherwise you can't get it all the way to the back. Its not bad at all just take the black caps off where they go into hard tank and cut hose off with a utility knife just be a careful not to go to deep, re-silicone and your back in business.Soon to fit my 2 x sumo 750's.

Soon to fit my 2 x Sumo 750's. What do I need "extra hose" for? I have bought the fitting kit from Wakemakers and I have standard PnP on a 2014 23LSV

Soon to fit my 2 x Sumo 750's. What do I need "extra hose" for? I have bought the fitting kit from Wakemakers and I have standard PnP on a 2014 23LSV

The short drain hose towards the transom doesn't allow the bag to go all the way back to the back of the locker. A longer hose will allow you to loop the hose without it kinking and puts the bag all the way to the rear of the locker.