Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Official 2014 LSV 23 surf setup thread...

IXFE

Is there any way to put all ballast bags out of sight in ALL AREAS on an LSV and have a freakin awesome surf wave? I'm open to ideas and suggestions and am ok with lots of lead if that's what it's going to take.

Is there any way to put all ballast bags out of sight in ALL AREAS on an LSV and have a freakin awesome surf wave? I'm open to ideas and suggestions and am ok with lots of lead if that's what it's going to take.

Absolutely, but it would take using a bunch of lead in the bow in lieu of a sac.

Same for any Malibu, really.

Edited by IXFE

I am starting to believe that the boat needs bow weight.

However, I think the enzo at least on the port side is the way to go. Double enzos is insane

In the LSV, a bow sac is really not a big deal. The cabin is so big you can put 7-8 people there including the driver. I rarely have a crew larger than that

The beauty of this boat is that with 750s in the rear and no bow weight, you still get a tremendous wave. Just not the best wave possible. If I was told I could never run bow weight in this boat, I wouldn't be disappointed. The wave is still great.

Edited by DocPhil

What's the best way and place to hide weight in the bow of an LSV?

I haven't really looked but I am assuming there is some room around the hard tank up front. not sure how much you can fit there. Probably some room next to the cup holders as well.

Doc, with the enzo on the port side and 750 on starboard, isnt't the boat slightly listed? Can you still switch to goofy with that setup?

Wave looks good, could use more bow weight i think

I am starting to believe that the boat needs bow weight.

However, I think the enzo at least on the port side is the way to go. Double enzos is insane

In the LSV, a bow sac is really not a big deal. The cabin is so big you can put 7-8 people there including the driver. I rarely have a crew larger than that

The beauty of this boat is that with 750s in the rear and no bow weight, you still get a tremendous wave. Just not the best wave possible. If I was told I could never run bow weight in this boat, I wouldn't be disappointed. The wave is still great.

Now you're talking... I couldn't agree more. The LSV surfs GREAT with just PnP. But it clearly has more potential for those willing to push it.

I'm not sure I could bring myself to go Enzo on one side only.

I so wish you had video (of both sides) with the double Enzo setup, but you already know that. :)

I haven't really looked but I am assuming there is some room around the hard tank up front. not sure how much you can fit there. Probably some room next to the cup holders as well.

Doc or anybody else. If you opt for no bow ballast when ordering do you get more storage in the bow where lead could be hidden?

Maybe it's better to get it with the bow tanks , remove it, disconnect pump and place lead in there since the factory tank is not enough weight. Sorry for all the questions but I have not walked through a new LSV to investigate.

We live on lake so we trailer at most twice a year unless gremlins arrive. So bow weight on trailer is not a concern.

Moving lead on and off the boat is something I am ok with since we know when we plan to surf and i can store it at dock quite easily. Isn't the bow tank in a LSV like 250 #? 5-6 lead bags and I'm there at 250#.....granted I'll need more bags to get me where I need to be. Are there other locations in the front where lead can be stored easily with or without a bow tank?

I am asking all these questiosn becuse I looked at a G23 yesterday and I can store all the ballast I will ever need and never see a bag anywhere while having a top quality surf wave. I do not want to turn this in to a Malibu vs CC discussion. I'm simply trying to figure out what I can do with an LSV in terms of ballast and not give up one inch of seating area. Wife says no more ballst on the seats in 2015 so I am in search of how I can do that in a Malibu.

Edited by JoeA

Doc, with the enzo on the port side and 750 on starboard, isnt't the boat slightly listed? Can you still switch to goofy with that setup?

Wave looks good, could use more bow weight i think

That is 1000 lbs in the bow

And yes it is slightly listed. And yes the goofy wave is still awesome

Edited by DocPhil

Now you're talking... I couldn't agree more. The LSV surfs GREAT with just PnP. But it clearly has more potential for those willing to push it.

I'm not sure I could bring myself to go Enzo on one side only.

Why do you say that? How is that any different from running an extra sac in the coffin seat? It very slightly lists the boat and improves your regular wave dramatically.

The goofy wave on this boat needs very little tweaking but by running the enzo on one side, both sides are pretty much equal with very solid length, height and transition. The bow weight isn't necessary at all with 750s in the rear but when you start talking enzo it becomes pretty essential.

I am testing some custom sacs soon and will try to report back with video. By the way, what is the best way to upload video?

By the way, what is the best way to upload video?

Export from video editor of choice to youtube.

Navigate on youtube to your uploaded video.

Under the video are some tabs. One of them is "share". Click that tab and copy the link that comes up.

Then come back here.

Next to the "Font" box is teh Special BBCode box. Click that. Chose "Media". Paste the link you copied into the media url box and click OK.

Yay! Video!

Why do you say that? How is that any different from running an extra sac in the coffin seat? It very slightly lists the boat and improves your regular wave dramatically.

The goofy wave on this boat needs very little tweaking but by running the enzo on one side, both sides are pretty much equal with very solid length, height and transition. The bow weight isn't necessary at all with 750s in the rear but when you start talking enzo it becomes pretty essential.

I am testing some custom sacs soon and will try to report back with video. By the way, what is the best way to upload video?

I say that for a few reasons...

1) I have yet to try the sac in the coffin trick. Remember I'm goofy so I haven't toyed much with the regular side. Until I do I'm not sold that a slight lean to the port side is really better for the port side wave.

2) As a goofy rider I'm not anxious to lean the boat back towards the regular side. I'm not convinced that doing so has no ill effect on my goofy wave.

3) You yourself said that the best wave of the day was with both Enzo sacks. Right?

4) In a go heavy scenario I'd rather run two Enzos and just ask my passengers to sit on the port side when my wife rides (regular) to get the slight lean, if in fact it's truly needed. Either that or just dump a little water from the starboard side.

I say that for a few reasons...1) I have yet to try the sac in the coffin trick. Remember I'm goofy so I haven't toyed much with the regular side. Until I do I'm not sold that a slight lean to the port side is really better for the port side wave.2) As a goofy rider I'm not anxious to lean the boat back towards the regular side. I'm not convinced that doing so has no ill effect on my goofy wave.3) You yourself said that the best wave of the day was with both Enzo sacks. Right? 4) In a go heavy scenario I'd rather run two Enzos and just ask my passengers to sit on the port side when my wife rides (regular) to get the slight lean, if in fact it's truly needed. Either that or just dump a little water from the starboard side.

If no one rides regular then of course there is no benefit to more port weight.

If no one rides regular then of course there is no benefit to more port weight.

Well... my wife rides regular but she's not that picky (yet).

Regardless, there are better ways to getting some port side lean besides running different size PnP sacks.

3)enzos on both sides. I think a pro surfer would consider this the best wave of the day. I was surfing the regular side at 12.2 there was so much push. It was long and strong...

This is another reason to use both Enzos. I'm just believing what you said.

I'm sure there are ways but not so sure about better or less expensive

Having ran and ridden both setups I will just have to agree to disagree with you.

But that's cool. There can be different versions of dialed in given rider and driver preferences.

I'm sure there are ways but not so sure about better or less expensive

Having ran and ridden both setups I will just have to agree to disagree with you.

But that's cool. There can be different versions of dialed in given rider and driver preferences.

Ok... let me get this straight. Your own post says double Enzos was the best wave of the day. But you don't want them because why???

Is it just cost (you don't want to buy two of them)?

Edited by IXFE

Ok... let me get this straight. Your own post says double Enzos was the best wave of the day. But you don't want them because why???

Is it just cost (you don't want to buy two of them)?

No need to get butt hurt my friend

Read the post again

I never said it was the best. In fact, I said for me the single enzo was my favorite

If I like that setup the best for my skill level then that's what I like. Don't know what else to say

Let's see some airs and 3s out of you then I will understand your desire for an insanely steep and long wave

Edited by DocPhil
No need to get butt hurt my friend

Read the post again

I never said it was the best. In fact, I said for me the single enzo was my favorite

If I like that setup the best for my skill level then that's what I like. Don't know what else to say

LOL. The last time I was "butt hurt" from a guy I call "Doc" involved a rubber glove.

I'm trying simply trying to understand your logic. When the butt hurt comments start flying it usually means we've reached the end of logic.

One more question, if you can tolerate it... is it fair to say that you are not concerned about maximizing the goofy wave? Surely a port side list can't be good for a goofy rider, right?

Has anyone tried adding a bag like a ronix 800 in the walkway. Seems it would fit nice and not hurt the space at all. The ronix bags seem to hold shape better than a sumo which is my fav for the storage compartments. I am happy with wave with only 900s and everyone in crew seem happy but I do think to lengthen the pocket (which would be nice) it needs bow weight. Just not sure if the walkway is far enough forward. I just don't want to add a bow sac for some reason.

Sent into space with tapatalk