Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Official 2014 LSV 23 surf setup thread...

IXFE

With so many new LSV's on the site, I figure there should be PLENTY of experimenting going on with respect to surf waves. There are so many of us there is no reason we shouldn't be collectively working on the ideal recipe.

So I'll start. This is raw video of my very first surf session on the new boat. The setup that day was as follows:

• All four MLS tanks 100% full
  • Both 800lb. Ronix PnP bags 100% full
  • 750lb. Sumo Sac in the bow (running from to back)
  • 250lbs. of kids in the bow (one on each side of the sac)
  • 300lbs. of people in the cabin
  • Wedge all the down (0%)
  • Speed: 12mph
  • Engine: LS3 450hp
  • Prop: 2315
  • Board: Ronix Parks Thruster 5'1" (three fins all the way back)
  • Rider: 5'10" 175lbs

I'm not putting this up as some sort of brag session. Honestly looking for feedback on how to make the wave better. Also interested in feedback on what to try to take my surfing to the next level... really want to progress this year.

PLEASE POST UP YOUR CONFIGS WITH VIDEO!

Edited by IXFE

I think most people are running similar to what you are running right now. One of the best waves I have seen so far truthfully was with the enzo sacs my dealer accidentally ordered for me

Here is the link

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/48957-new-lsv-thread/

I just don't know if I want to run that kind of weight in my boat all the time.

The goofy wave is super easy to "dial" in on this boat and get a stellar wave. The regular wave is going to be much more of a challenge.

My current thinking is leading me to believe the recipe is going to be around 800-900 in the rear lockers and the bow plus a good amount of ballast/lead in the port coffin to balance the prop rotation (estimate about 600-700 lbs)

My current setup (that I am planning to run) is 750 in the rear lockers with about 400 in the port coffin plus up to 1000 lbs bow weight. I am going to run that this weekend and report back with video

Isn't 12 mph a little fast? I like the length but the height seems low..

I'm running full ballast, 600's rear, 400 front seat, wedge full down or maybe a click or two up around 10 to 10.2 mph. 1235 with the 450.

I'm think I'm going to stuff a 400 in the port locker to see what that does for prop rotation.

I agree that moving a few people around doesn't seem to affect the wake that much..

Edited by kaddman

Both good looking waves. I haven't had a chance to mess around with mine yet but I will be running 750s in the rear lockers, 400 in the now, and I have an 1100 pound bag I can move around. Thinking I'll keep that more toward the front. Let you guys know what I come up with.

Isn't 12 mph a little fast? I like the length but the height seems low...

You might be right. I was really trying to maximize length and I figured with the ballast up front I probably needed to speed up a bit.

Next time I will try same weight configuration with a couple of wedge clicks and slower speed. We'll see what that does.

IXFE this comes from my "do as I say not as I do" school of wakesurfing instruction, but you are doing one thing that I tend to do this time of the year too... you think you are leaning in to the wave, but what you are really doing is bending over and sticking your butt out. To improve your carves and your pumping, drive with your hips in to the wave instead of out. Right now you are directing the board back and forth really well, but you aren't using your own energy to propel you on the wave very well (that first time you fell out it looked to me like a couple of mellow pumps should've kept you in). I'd post a vid of what I'm trying to say but it's from behind the wrong boat.

Wave looks pretty good. I'd sacrifice a little show (height in pictures) for go (length and firmness) any day. How's the freeboard/bow with that configuration?

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 2

Another thing to try is to square up your shoulders to the wave. Your more facing the back of the boat.

I'll bet you a stack of 100s that any video I pull up of myself is going to have me doing the same thing you are..... I know about it and it works doesn't mean I always remember :)

That thruster is a fun board but I also think it makes the turns less snappy. That's just my opinion and there's no more subjective topic than boards.

My goals are to finally nail that elusive 3 that I've been close to 300 times. Ugh. And continue to work on some airs and landing them more consistently. Secretly hoping I can pull this off now that I'm bionic but better sense tells me it won't matter that much. This white guy can't jump.

Edited by Ruffdog

IXFE,

I think you (and your daughter) were on the boat the day of the AWS Demo with Brandon driving. I thought that set-up was pretty good, aside from the 350 pushing it.

-MLS All Full

-750# in both starboard & port lockers.

-800# in the bow.

-Anywhere from 5-7 people, I would guess 400#-600# addition pounds spread out the boat.

-Speed was 11.5+, I think possibly in the 12s.

So far we either have to not use the wedge so we can do 12mph or use the wedge and settle for 10.4mph..... Running 750s lockers, full MLS, 750 bow. Insane wave with tons of push, long pocket. Want to get to the point where we can dial it with speed and wedge, but the boat just won't do it right now........

12 MPH going up river or down river? Gps cruise or not? Current is moving pretty good right now..

I think in that video I'm going down river. And you're right, the current is moving fast now. But I have the paddle wheel, so I think it's relative, no?

Is anyone getting these results? I do not know what Afun is doing but this wave looks legit. Whatever recipe he has formulated seems to be working....its even taken at a high camera angle. How far is he riding off the back, 18-20 feet???? I would think the LSV could push it even more to another level. I recall he is running 1100's in each locker, and 1000 lbs in the bow? Come on boys, you got that LS3 - start putting it to work!!!

14076052398_9c136e196f_c_zps4cafea6b.jpg

Edited by Fman
IXFE this comes from my "do as I say not as I do" school of wakesurfing instruction, but you are doing one thing that I tend to do this time of the year too... you think you are leaning in to the wave, but what you are really doing is bending over and sticking your butt out. To improve your carves and your pumping, drive with your hips in to the wave instead of out. Right now you are directing the board back and forth really well, but you aren't using your own energy to propel you on the wave very well (that first time you fell out it looked to me like a couple of mellow pumps should've kept you in). I'd post a vid of what I'm trying to say but it's from behind the wrong boat.

Wave looks pretty good. I'd sacrifice a little show (height in pictures) for go (length and firmness) any day. How's the freeboard/bow with that configuration?

Thanks for this thoughtful response. I think I follow what you're saying about leaning into the wave. I'll try that. I'm still learning to pump. If you look closely you'll see a few instances where I attempt to pump, but they are small movements because I'm afraid to dip the nose. Even the first time I fell out (the instance you referenced) I was actually attempting to pump (small pumps) but I dunked it anyways. When I fall out of the wave it's almost always due to dipping the nose.

As far as the freeboard and bow with this configuration, this boat is incredible. I wish I could capture a pic of her turning around to come back and pick me up. I swear it looks like she's running empty. Bow is way up out of the water and the boat just looks tall. She can take tons of weight, literally. What I'm running barely registers and the 450 moves it with relative ease. However, it goes without saying that it handles like a barge weighted down, but don't they all?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Another thing to try is to square up your shoulders to the wave. Your more facing the back of the boat.

I'll bet you a stack of 100s that any video I pull up of myself is going to have me doing the same thing you are..... I know about it and it works doesn't mean I always remember :)

That thruster is a fun board but I also think it makes the turns less snappy. That's just my opinion and there's no more subjective topic than boards.

My goals are to finally nail that elusive 3 that I've been close to 300 times. Ugh. And continue to work on some airs and landing them more consistently. Secretly hoping I can pull this off now that I'm bionic but better sense tells me it won't matter that much. This white guy can't jump.

Thanks Ruff, this too is great feedback. I will make an effort to square up to the wave. One question... are you referring to the board position too or just my shoulders?

I like the Thruster because it's fast down the line which for me is good because hitting the gas is my only recovery tool. Other than that, I'm open to other board suggestions. At demo days the only board I tried was a shorter Thruster (4'7"). My theory was that it would have the characteristics I like (or at least that I'm familiar with) but shorter would make it snappier, more maneuverable, etc. In all honestly it didn't feel that different.

My goals are just to get more fluid. I swear I don't feel that robotic/rugid/jerky when I'm back there, but when I watch the video I just cringe. :(

IXFE,

I think you (and your daughter) were on the boat the day of the AWS Demo with Brandon driving. I thought that set-up was pretty good, aside from the 350 pushing it.

-MLS All Full

-750# in both starboard & port lockers.

-800# in the bow.

-Anywhere from 5-7 people, I would guess 400#-600# addition pounds spread out the boat.

-Speed was 11.5+, I think possibly in the 12s.

Yes, I was on the boat that day. Bobby and I set it up. That's basically the same setup I posted above, but don't remember where I put the wedge or if B moved it. I think it may have been a few clicks up.

Anyone trying stealth bow weight with lead or something else?

The problem with stealth weight is that you can't squeeze enough down there (unless you don't require much like BB) so you still end up needing a sac. The only way I'd go with a hidden option would be if I could get enough in there to NOT require a sac too.

If after extensive testing we determine that the ideal setup is stock bow tank plus 350 or less, I'd look at either lead around the tank (but that brings it's own issues like maybe I don't want it there always) or a pair of gunwale sacs like Fman (although the LSV seat back configuration is different than the VLX so not sure it would work anyway).

Is anyone getting these results? I do not know what Afun is doing but this wave looks legit. Whatever recipe he has formulated seems to be working....its even taken at a high camera angle. How far is he riding off the back, 18-20 feet???? I would think the LSV could push it even more to another level. I recall he is running 1100's in each locker, and 1000 lbs in the bow? Come on boys, you got that LS3 - start putting it to work!!!

14076052398_9c136e196f_c_zps4cafea6b.jpg

Is it just me or does Afun have a big head? I'm just asking. ;->

Here's the recipe I'm dreaming about...

Enzo sacs

800 lb flat mattress sac on the cabin floor (looks like a water bed)

1000 lb bow triangle

Maybe another 750 in the walk thru.

lol... never mind if the boat/engine could handle it, my family would never put up with it.

Dave, I would think the Enzo 1100's in each locker, 1000 lb bow sac and even 300-400 in lead in the lower hull area would be a nice setup. Has anyone tried this yet? Those 50lb lead bags would be great, easy to move around and hidden.

Dave, I would think the Enzo 1100's in each locker, 1000 lb bow sac and even 300-400 in lead in the lower hull area would be a nice setup. Has anyone tried this yet? Those 50lb lead bags would be great, easy to move around and hidden.

That was essentially my setup. Probably even more than 1100s in the rear and still had the same problem with the regular wave. Look at my link Fman. The goofy wave was absurd.

It is going to need port weight in the coffin. I guarantee that

That was essentially my setup. Probably even more than 1100s in the rear and still had the same problem with the regular wave. Look at my link Fman. The goofy wave was absurd.

It is going to need port weight in the coffin. I guarantee that

Here's another recipe I might try:

• Stock MLS full (4 tanks)
  • PnP 800's full (both sides)
  • 400 in the coffin (port side)
  • 750 in the walk thru

Why no more ballast in the bow beyond factory? I'm curious about a conversation I recently had with Bobby who reminded me that he did not put any ballast in the bow beyond factory tank a 80lbs. of lead (a relatively minor amount easily replicated with one of my kids). He said that in his case extra bow weight killed his push. Now, I fully recognize that his formula will not translate to a SG boat, but it got me thinking about the concept of running a little less bow weight.

Here's another recipe I might try:

• Stock MLS full (4 tanks)
  • PnP 800's full (both sides)
  • 400 in the coffin (port side)
  • 750 in the walk thru

Why no more ballast in the bow beyond factory? I'm curious about a conversation I recently had with Bobby who reminded me that he did not put any ballast in the bow beyond factory tank a 80lbs. of lead (a relatively minor amount easily replicated with one of my kids). He said that in his case extra bow weight killed his push. Now, I fully recognize that his formula will not translate to a SG boat, but it got me thinking about the concept of running a little less bow weight.

I kind of agree,, I think I had the best wake with full MLS and then the 600s filled, once I started adding bow it made it look longer put push seemed to fade, felt like the Tige' I rode behind.

Wake makers Dude said to run full MLS 600's in trunk and then try a 750 on the floor port side across from driver Ie. Coffin.

He was saying the floor in cabin but I don't want any bags in the cabin.

Edited by kaddman