Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014 23 LSV issues I have found, 100k for this?

kaddman

Your buddy's Porsh (the car you pointed to as an example) is not one of them.

Porsche produces more than 150k cars per year using robots in one of the most technically advanced factories in the world. Malibu builds 2k boats per year in a warehouse in Tennessee.

Still think it's a good example?

But I'm nit picking. Your points have validity despite the poor analogy

Porsche is also a manufacturer of engines, suspension, transmissions, etc. competing on metrics like 1/4 mile and 0-60 times, track racing, etc. Most of the boat builders are assemblers. The engines, tranny's, shafts, props, electronics, actuators, etc. are all outsourced - the hull is molded/boat assembled by the manuf and that design is key - but the complexity of building a boat from soup-to-nuts is different and much less overhead intensive. Having a little QA cleanup shouldn't be that difficult!

I think the bigger concern is the direction that the quality is going. I bet that most would agree it has not improved over the last 5 years. Management changes, demand growth, and margin improvement have all taken their toll on the product. (At least from my eyes.) I know from the folks in the manufacturing/quality circle around this area, that Malibu is aware of the issues and has/is working on addressing it.

Everyone with new boats and problems (even petty ones) needs to be making an effort to get those issues in front of the folks that make decisions at Malibu. If everyone just lives with their new boat problems, Malibu will certainly oblige and forget about hiring that new top notch quality manager or investing in capital to improve the manufacturing process!!

In the mean time, make sure you have a good dealer to work with.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2238683-malibu-boats-should-be-a-fun-ride-over-the-next-few-months-and-maybe-longer

High price for mediocrece always leaves bad taste. I think all sport boat industry is riding on BOAT BUBBLE , matter of time

• Like 2

" MBUU's model is simple, but management has found ways to make it more efficient and to constantly expand margins."

I have to admit, when I read this statement I felt conflicted. As a finance guy I thought, "kudos!" but as a Bu owner I thought, "eeeek."

There is no doubt the new management team has made significant changes over the past ~ 5 years (some good, some questionable)

Better profit margins rarely work out to the customers benefit. Usually involve cutting corners, using less quality material, cutting labor, and still raising prices. At least through the businesses I have seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the Bluetooth does have issues. I sometimes need to reboot the entire boat so the Bluetooth could recognize my device.

Never had one bluetooth issue on the 2013 or the 2014. If you are using an iphone and run into trouble...forget the maliview device on your iphone...its a known IOS issue not Malview..

High price for mediocrece always leaves bad taste. I think all sport boat industry is riding on BOAT BUBBLE , matter of time

There is the big question mark over the next couple years, how high will it go before it crashes. AWS just sold a 2013 VLX, that thing sat all year. The 15-20 year financing boat owners could experience the boat bubble bursting. Just like the housing market, there might be some killer deals coming down the pipeline in the next couple years for cash buyers. I guess time will tell.

There is the big question mark over the next couple years, how high will it go before it crashes. AWS just sold a 2013 VLX, that thing sat all year. The 15-20 year financing boat owners could experience the boat bubble bursting. Just like the housing market, there might be some killer deals coming down the pipeline in the next couple years for cash buyers. I guess time will tell.

Those killer deals are only going to occur if we run into another huge recession. Otherwise, used boats in good shape will continue to hold their value. It's only the people that lose their jobs or have a financial crisis(like divorce) that will have to fire sale their boat.

Never had one bluetooth issue on the 2013 or the 2014. If you are using an iphone and run into trouble...forget the maliview device on your iphone...its a known IOS issue not Malview..

I don't believe that is correct. I was told by two dealers the software and the bluetooth or MDG black box unit itself were bad, and they just replaced it under warranty. I've got bluetooth speakers, headphones, radar detector, 3 cars - all work fine with the iPhone. Changing the software and the MDG unit on the boat seems to have fixed it... nothing changed on the iPhone.

Other threads on it here: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42335-problems-with-bluetooth-on-mobile-device-gateway-2013/

Those killer deals are only going to occur if we run into another huge recession. Otherwise, used boats in good shape will continue to hold their value. It's only the people that lose their jobs or have a financial crisis(like divorce) that will have to fire sale their boat.

1 quarter and 2 quarters left for recession.

I don't believe that is correct. I was told by two dealers the software and the bluetooth or MDG black box unit itself were bad, and they just replaced it under warranty. I've got bluetooth speakers, headphones, radar detector, 3 cars - all work fine with the iPhone. Changing the software and the MDG unit on the boat seems to have fixed it... nothing changed on the iPhone.

Other threads on it here: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42335-problems-with-bluetooth-on-mobile-device-gateway-2013/

Maybe the early buetooth modules were bad...but anyone having issues in the last 2 years..needs to understand that IOS has some handshaking issues with bluetooth connectivity....best way to fix is /forgetdevice from the bluetooth/devices menu in IOS..takes less than 10 seconds and all is good...at any given time I will have 8+ bluetooth devices paired with my iPhone 5s ...great phone...lazy devs on the bluetooth front..

Malibu definitely had bluetooth problems last year. They tried a few software updates then replaced the box on my boat. It was on back order after screwing around for two months. I suspect there was high demand since many were being replaced.

While we are talking about bluetooth why I do have to manually re-connect EVERYTIME? Every vehicle I drive just re-connects to radio without any interaction. This is just lazy and sloppy design/engineering. That's as good as it gets for $100K?

Back to the poor quality and warranty stuff. Are we buying these boats because they are sexy? From what I can tell Malibu boats visit the dealers an awful lot more than some of the other top tier boats. I do agree that these boat companies are boat asemblers to some extent but the manufacturer decides and approves the third party equipment that run these boats. My suspicion is that low cost is the number one factor as opposed to running it through a rigorous testing process to ensure longevity. I truly believe that Malibu works with the mentality that if it breaks we'll just warranty the part. Why not design to last three years or even more?

I have been to the dealer way more times since last Spring than I ever imagined. The dealer is great and always resolve the problem but it's getting old.

Conducting business in this fashion will be bad for the long term unless some serious changes are made.

Edited by JoeA
  • Like 2

Hey all... I took the day to install my Rev10s and SD2 yesterday (14hrs -- yuck). Found all sorts of new QC items:

1. I have (had) the same scenario as the other member had where the speaker wires transition through the tower support into the boat... Not aligned whatsoever and the edges of the metal bracket had not been deburred. The wire was very tight and at a 90 going through the transition; already had signed of failure at 9 hours of use... only break-in. The bracket is so misaligned had to reduce to 14 gauge wired to even get through it due to occlusion. Total and complete BS. Everyone needs to check their transition.

2. Looks like when they were installing the port cabin speaker under the tower bracket, they couldn't get the grill to properly sit between the trim and vinyl; so they just threw a screw in it which punctured the edge of the speaker.... classic.

3. Got the Maliview bluescreen for the first time yesterday too.

The 4 Rev10s sound bad-a** though... lol.

Maybe the early buetooth modules were bad...but anyone having issues in the last 2 years..needs to understand that IOS has some handshaking issues with bluetooth connectivity....best way to fix is /forgetdevice from the bluetooth/devices menu in IOS..takes less than 10 seconds and all is good...at any given time I will have 8+ bluetooth devices paired with my iPhone 5s ...great phone...lazy devs on the bluetooth front..

My boat is a 2013 and is a year old. They replaced the black box and did a software upgrade - now it works a lot better. I still need to connect it ever time, but that is pretty easy. No need to forget the device in either menu any longer. Still not sure how you think this is an issue with the iPhone though - I just went through my iphone and have 2 cars paired with it, 3 different bluetooth speakers, 2 cobra radar detectors, 1 bluetooth speakerphone, 1 bluetooth phone headset, and they all work perfectly/auto-connect/etc. I rented a Kia last year and it connected just fine! If all these guys can figure out how to work with iPhone, you'd think Malibu could.

Dang... I had to stop reading after page 2. :(

I've been a member here for going on 7 years... I read fairly often, but don't post very much. Mainly because I don't own a Malibu... yet. I've been trying to do the things necessary to prepare for purchasing one.

We just visited the dealership this weekend to get the final on trailer measurements to make sure that the garage we are building will fully accommodate the new boat.

I guess I need to start researching my dealership to make sure they are one of the 'good ones' that will be able to take care of me after the purchase.

My boat is a 2013 and is a year old. They replaced the black box and did a software upgrade - now it works a lot better. I still need to connect it ever time, but that is pretty easy. No need to forget the device in either menu any longer. Still not sure how you think this is an issue with the iPhone though - I just went through my iphone and have 2 cars paired with it, 3 different bluetooth speakers, 2 cobra radar detectors, 1 bluetooth speakerphone, 1 bluetooth phone headset, and they all work perfectly/auto-connect/etc. I rented a Kia last year and it connected just fine! If all these guys can figure out how to work with iPhone, you'd think Malibu could.

Personally, I don't want my iphone connecting to my boat automatically. The 10 seconds for me to hit the "B" button on malview and accept is a safeguard for me for weird battery drain. The engineers designed it this way. The issue is where the IOS bluetooth software does not release the id, and then crap happens..

Huge fan of the way Malibu designed this to work in the real world not in a lab. I have several things I can b**** about regarding my 2014 LSV, the Bluetooth connectivity is spot on..even when I get 1 call/1 on hold and my daughter feels need to play candy crush while spotify or pandora is playing...imagine programming that logic..

Personally, I don't want my iphone connecting to my boat automatically. The 10 seconds for me to hit the "B" button on malview and accept is a safeguard for me for weird battery drain. The engineers designed it this way. The issue is where the IOS bluetooth software does not release the id, and then crap happens..

Huge fan of the way Malibu designed this to work in the real world not in a lab. I have several things I can b**** about regarding my 2014 LSV, the Bluetooth connectivity is spot on..even when I get 1 call/1 on hold and my daughter feels need to play candy crush while spotify or pandora is playing...imagine programming that logic..

I agree - but that wasn't the issue with so many of the 2013's and early models. In order to get mine to connect before this I had to completely power off the boat, turn off bluetooth on the iphone, power on the boat, forget all devices, search for new devices, find iphone and connect - every single time. And about 2/3 of the time even that didn't work. Last year the dealer basically gave up on it - they couldn't get it to work either. With the new module and software now at least it connects.

Personally I'd rather have it connect automatically - but I can live with it now that it actually does in fact connect 100% of the time when I want it to!

• 3 weeks later...

Update on this - I've used the boat now half dozen times with the new Bluetooth module in it and it seems to work as advertised. Have to reconnect any time I power the boat completely down but I can live with that.

IMHO it still is a weak bluetooth setup. No control over the device at all - not pausing, skipping tracks, etc. when connected via Bluetooth - yet all controls work fine when wired. I've got a $29 pair of BT headphones I use when working out that control the device, and the Kia I rented even connected fine and controlled the device. My 2009 Nissan even allows for display of Pandora on the screen, and full control when using BT...

Not a huge issue, I'm not that obsessed with the stereo when out there - but you would think a company like Rockford Fosgate who specializes in stereo gear would be on the cutting edge, not trailing the industry...

^^^ just as a reference ... I have the new Polk black box with remotes like RF's setup and it works fantastic.

Connects to IPhone within about 5 seconds, and you get full control over the phone from the dash, transom or glove box remotes. Skip, next pause etc etc.

I wish it had the thumbs up or down for Pandora, Soundcloud and Slacker radio.

^^^ just as a reference ... I have the new Polk black box with remotes like RF's setup and it works fantastic.

Connects to IPhone within about 5 seconds, and you get full control over the phone from the dash, transom or glove box remotes. Skip, next pause etc etc.

I wish it had the thumbs up or down for Pandora, Soundcloud and Slacker radio.

Very nice - I was just doing some searching, looks like RF just has BT problems all around with their head units.

Update on this - I've used the boat now half dozen times with the new Bluetooth module in it and it seems to work as advertised. Have to reconnect any time I power the boat completely down but I can live with that.

IMHO it still is a weak bluetooth setup. No control over the device at all - not pausing, skipping tracks, etc. when connected via Bluetooth - yet all controls work fine when wired. I've got a $29 pair of BT headphones I use when working out that control the device, and the Kia I rented even connected fine and controlled the device. My 2009 Nissan even allows for display of Pandora on the screen, and full control when using BT...

Not a huge issue, I'm not that obsessed with the stereo when out there - but you would think a company like Rockford Fosgate who specializes in stereo gear would be on the cutting edge, not trailing the industry...

I bought the RF BT module myself, not the gateway one the boats come with, and I have full control. I don't think the sound quality is as good as when it's plugged into the glovebox, but it works the same, and it doesnt have to be reconnected every time you power the boat back on