Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Used tow SUV

racer808

Ah - 3rd seat, so they don't even like sitting in the same row ;)

Side note then - you ever tried to sit in one of those? My 5ft 2 wife can't sit properly in the 3rd row seat of anything but a suburban. The 3rd row of a GX470, Tahoe, etc wouldn't be comfortable for a 6 hour trip unless the people sitting in it are small children.

I wouldn't want to sit 3 in a row that long. We take a mega cab to lunch & it's not cramped but it still sucks sitting 3 guys in the back. I've stopped looking at Tahoe's, Yukon's or Denali's. I found a limo that has caught my eye now

This is where it's headed. I can play driver once a month & make money. Chloroform no longer needed, they will get in willingly

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4449764349.html

If that's the direction this is heading.........

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4458024938.html

$12k for a Sportsmobile?! Nice!

Although it's one without the popup & only seats 4 people as is so it doesn't really work for the OP.

We seat 6 adults in the Avalanche to go downtown to dinner or whatever. It's cozy but comfortable. Plenty of leg & head room.

$12k for a Sportsmobile?! Nice!

Although it's one without the popup & only seats 4 people as is so it doesn't really work for the OP.

We seat 6 adults in the Avalanche to go downtown to dinner or whatever. It's cozy but comfortable. Plenty of leg & head room.

Dude, it's a van, no simpler interior to modify. Gut it and start over if you want. Or:

http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/4436712561.html

Dude, it's a van, no simpler interior to modify. Gut it and start over if you want. Or:

http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/4436712561.html

No kidding.

The problem we've found with some of these type of rigs is that their tow capacity isn't very high. I can't imagine that rig with a 5.4 liter gas engine can tow more than 2k lbs..... no matter how heavy duty the tow package is.

The diesel rigs would tow a bit more. I know a guy who tows 10k lb generators down in SoCal with a newer Sportsmobile that has a 7.3 in it.

martinarcher

Those 7.3 vans would sure get the boat to the lake. The fact that both or over 250k is going to be a no go or the OP. He already said he's looking for lower miles. Personally, with a 7.3 I'd be plenty comfortable with 150k on the clock if the body is clean. I'm positive my 7.3 will outlast the body on my Ex and right now the body is primo with 114k on the clock.

• Like 1

I know, I was just showing some cool vans. There are some low mileage pop top Sportmobiles out there but they're $30k+.

And the 5.4 party bus was more of a response to racer's limo post.

• Like 2

I would say 100K to 140k with maintenance records is nothing to worry about. When you get into the 175k I think the price drops quite a bit but you should be able to find one with 120k or so in or around 12,500. If you can find one with 90 for 14 etc it may be worth the extra coin, if possible. The 7.3 is among the best diesel engines that have been built for passenger vehicles and has a great track record for longevity and reliability.

I know people who have 7.3 with tons of miles on them 400K plus. You will run into turbo problems at some point. However maintenance correctly and they will go forever. The 7.3 l turbo diesel motor is the most desirable and sought after motor from ford as far as diesel's go. For more info check out diesel bombers website.

I know people who have 7.3 with tons of miles on them 400K plus. You will run into turbo problems at some point. However maintenance correctly and they will go forever. The 7.3 l turbo diesel motor is the most desirable and sought after motor from ford as far as diesel's go. For more info check out diesel bombers website.

I've heard similar stories about the Powerstrokes. But the problem is all the other equipment that starts to fail. Transmissions & diffs, wheel bearings, brakes, steering components, power windows & dash electronics. Eventually it will start to nickel & dime you to death!

yeah, that's why a well maintained 150k truck might be better. Mine came with a recently rebuilt tranny and door locks and window motors recently replaced. Those are common failure points on the excursions.

• Like 2

I have been towing boats on my 2002 tahoe since we ordered it from the factory, I still daily drive it and it has 225,000 miles on it. It has the 5.3 with 3.73gears and I have no problem yanking my VLX or old 23ft moomba around the country. It has the original transmission and engine in it never rebuilt. It still runs like a raped ape and I would consider it the most reliable vehicle I own. The 6.0 denalis are awesome trucks but towing with awd when not needed yields mpg loss, as well as potential awd problems (usually none with those trucks). You can find an EXTREMELY clean 2002-2006 tahoe for 12k and plenty of very clean 100k mile ones for 7-9k in my area atleast. Ive added airlift bags in the back recently to help it not squat loaded down especially with 220k on the springs, they are only $80 and make a huge difference. Also the towing package equipped models come with a trailer brake (nonadjustable) and a transmission cooler. And they are comfortable as heck for you and your passengers.

Got the woman convinced I got financing in place & am going to look at the limo after work. The texts I am getting from her are comical.

Got the woman convinced I got financing in place & am going to look at the limo after work. The texts I am getting from her are comical.

Seriously? So will you tow the boat with it? Will you even be able to drive it into your own driveway??

I've heard similar stories about the Powerstrokes. But the problem is all the other equipment that starts to fail. Transmissions & diffs, wheel bearings, brakes, steering components, power windows & dash electronics. Eventually it will start to nickel & dime you to death!

Transmission and Diff's, steering are all fine. Any high mileage vehicle is going to have power window switch issues. Mine has 200K. It needs new seats, and some switches. I have replaced the ball joints, Cam Positioning Sensor, Basically every seal in the front 4x4 unit and I have one glow plug out. All DIY jobs. I am not just talking about excursions. I am just saying motor wise the two most reliable engines are the inline 6 from JEEP and 7.3 turbo diesel. Hands down. All vehicles have little things that start to fail after years and thousands of miles. You just have to be willing to put the work in.

Seriously? So will you tow the boat with it? Will you even be able to drive it into your own driveway??

Wouldn't even be able to turn it around on my cul-de-sac, but that's not important

Make sure you tell her you'll be bringing the luminol and blacklight to make sure it's clean before delivery.

LOL. I'm gonna do that right now. She was responding to a different text when I told her so I get this "Seriously? I know your decision is a tough one (on another subject) so I said "Its an easy decision, it's got color changing LED's & a 40" TV. What's there to think about. I get "thats not what I meant, don't you think we need to talk about this"

• Like 1

Smart thinkin'

If it's a puppy you want, start by asking for a pony.

What are your guys thought on a 2003 Excursion 6.0L diesel with 191k miles? Looks to be in great shape cosmetically. We are discussing trading my dirt bikes since I am getting out of the sport. I'm a little concerned about miles, big a** wheels, being accused of compensating and looking like a bro. But it doesn't look too jacked. Mileage with the lift? Discuss

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4423411885.html

On the advice of my diesel mechanic, I wouldn't own a 6.0 unless bulletproofed, which that one apparently hasn't been.

Thats what the google has been saying too. I'm fine with the V10, just can't find one that doesn't have ugly tan interior.

true that.....never own a 6.0.....even if it has been bulletproofed. The new 6.7 is sweet....but I have personal experience with a blown up 6.0....yikes.

ha, mine is triple bench cloth. I thought I'd regret not having leather, but I really like the cloth, and the ability to carry nine peeps in a pinch is nice too.