Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

what does a G look like beached?

wakebrdr94

Could of been an idiot move, or a guy that say went camping on an unfamiliar area and had the the water drop on him that much over night.

All I know is if I owned a G series boat, I wouldn't let it out of my sight on a river or an unfamiliar area of water. Truth is talking to my dealer last year, he mentioned wealthy owners are typically two types (G owners probably fall into that scope), either OCD and it's the cleanest boat you've ever seen, or it's treated like an after thought.

• Like 3

Guy is familiar with the river. Has a place and a lift right across the way. I guess they went across with his family to let the kids play on the beach and the water dropped 2' in an hour. Personally, my boat never gets that close to shore just for that reason. If someone wants to complain about getting wet while getting to the shore, they can stay on the boat. 2' in an hour is fast, even there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy is familiar with the river. Has a place and a lift right across the way. I guess they went across with his family to let the kids play on the beach and the water dropped 2' in an hour. Personally, my boat never gets that close to shore just for that reason. If someone wants to complain about getting wet while getting to the shore, they can stay on the boat. 2' in an hour is fast, even there.

Nice. We've seen the DNR drop the Columbia pretty quickly, and anyone beached is screwed till the water comes back up. One time camping east of Crescent Bar we spent a good 1/2 a day digging & pushing & lifting like 20 boats back into the water. They were all floating when we went to bed the night before & by morning everyone was stuck in the mud. Really sucked.

Dumb Question:

If the water level just quickly dropped and the boat was left high & dry, what sort of repairs ($$$) is the owner looking at it? Is it safe to assume that the repairs will be dramatically less than if the boat was 'run aground'?

Thy does suck. The problem with where he was it is a long shallow approach, so even I he gets it to the water with the water where it is pictured, he would still have issues.

I've seen it happen at echo lodge as I fell victim to it. The first time I stayed there. Should've taken notes from all the other boats anchored out further. I would always pull my boat out at night, that was the first time leaving it in overnight.

Lesson learned. Luckily that portion is all mud underneath. the water level was up pretty fast the next day.

Feel for the guy, but still some humor to it, just because it's a G :)

Dumb Question:

If the water level just quickly dropped and the boat was left high & dry, what sort of repairs ($$$) is the owner looking at it? Is it safe to assume that the repairs will be dramatically less than if the boat was 'run aground'?

I would guess maybe a new prop shaft as those may not be built to hold the amount that boat weighs. Prop? Can't imagine gel coat repair unless he ends up dragging it out. Things would be a lot worse if run a ground at speed

Depends on a bunch of things, ie; what is the bottom is made of, how did you get it out, did it get torqued sideways at all (waves), etc?

The pic looks pretty rocky. I assume it's the Strip, which is really rocky desert. I would imagine it would damage any of the nibral components at the very least, ie; prop, rudder, fins, etc.

In our case, we got pretty lucky. Most of the beach area was pretty soft & sandy (glacial till they call it). So the boats just kind of settled down into the sand as the water went down. The guys who dug it out & lifted & pulled it backwards thru the dug out trough, then cleaned out their intakes didn't have any problems. But the guys who got antsy & either didn't dig them out very well, or didn't pull straight back, or didn't clear the fresh water intake, or were parked in a way that the waves pushed the boat sideways, well they all had problems.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Truth is talking to my dealer last year, he mentioned wealthy owners are typically two types (G owners probably fall into that scope), either OCD and it's the cleanest boat you've ever seen, or it's treated like an after thought.

This is absolutely true. I came across a 2014 LSV recently in an undisclosed storage location that had less than 20 hours on the clock, but was in the condition of a boat with 1500 hours, with heaps of neglect on top of the use. I was amazed at how poorly the boat was cared for. The freakin' gas tank was cleaner than any surface inside the interior. Unreal.

This is absolutely true. I came across a 2014 LSV recently in an undisclosed storage location that had less than 20 hours on the clock, but was in the condition of a boat with 1500 hours, with heaps of neglect on top of the use. I was amazed at how poorly the boat was cared for. The freakin' gas tank was cleaner than any surface inside the interior. Unreal.

Make you shake your head! Doesn't it!!

Make you shake your head! Doesn't it!!

When I was living on Lake Sammamish there was a guy living nearby that had a new Supra Launch & kept it tied up in a boat slip at our condos. One spring he put the boat in a little early, used it a couple times, and then didn't come back to check on it at all for a few weeks. In that time span we had a few rain & wind storms & the lake flooded. The docks were fixed (not floating) so his boat had floated up on top of the docks, then as the water went down, it came down kind of sideways & took on a TON of water. A few days later it sank in the slip. It was like 3 yrs old at the time. :Doh:

Some people..... can't teach'em, and can't shoot'em.

BTW, he drove a Hummer too.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Apparently they did not get it off today. Water came up high enough to spin it, but did not get high enough to get it out. They tried to pull it off and the ropes snapped. Not the best picture, but they rigged lighting onto it to keep an eye on it

post-16010-13999576770811_thumb.jpg

"And like most species of whale this G has beached itself in light of it's pending death. It can cost taxpayers up words of 150,000 to remove this carcass from our beaches."

• Like 2

I wonder if the owner knows there's a four page thread on BuCrew following this evolving tragedy... Watching this unfold is like the 24 hour news cycle, complete with hidden paparazzi and on-scene reporters!

:werule:

HAha, like the Tige frozen in the ice? Or the MC stuck in the mud?

Sometimes these threads end up going for a LOT more than 4 pages!

It has got to be embarrassing to ask your family to now swim back across the river to get home at night! Sorry kids - time to head home now!

HAha, like the Tige frozen in the ice? Or the MC stuck in the mud?

Sometimes these threads end up going for a LOT more than 4 pages!

Tige frozen in ice? I've got to see that