Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

boat pulls to the right

No I don't think it is normal in my case, If I let off the wheel the boat does a very hard power turn to the right... That's not normal.

Trust me, its normal. In fact, as all these boats evolved from slalom boats, its actually DESIRED. Back to your boat, a wakeboard boat doesn't need to have a "loaded" steering system like a slalom boat so if you'd oike to "go straight" you cna do so with the rudder tab.

My boat pulls a little to the right as well. To make sure I'm understanding this, if it pulls to the right, I want to move the small adjustment tab to the right?

That's correct

Adjusting rudder trim to the right (a) will push rudder to the left (b). This (b) will push back of boat to the right ©. This © will push front of boat toward the left (d).

So by the transitive property of equality (a=b,b=c,c=d therefore a=d).....adjust tab to right to push front of boat left.

Seems counterintuitive, but the tab is basically 'negating' what the rudder wants to do...in this case, go hard right and force the bow hard right. Remember the tab is on the BACK of the rudder....not the front of it....so flipping that tab out to the right is going to force the rudder left....not the back of the boat left, like you might think.

Edited by RTS
  • Like 2

okay I will try it... should I start with a 1/8 or so?

I think that depends on where it is now...every hull and prop can lead to small variations in what works best for you and your "best" speed.

No I don't think it is normal in my case, If I let off the wheel the boat does a very hard power turn to the right... That's not normal.

Not trying to be rude but yes, it is normal.

Okay I have made the change.. I set it just under a 1/8 out to the right... ( it was in a neutral position to start with) very easy to adjust, I will try it next time out and fine tune from there.

back in the olden days before Ron @ American Skier invented the tunable rudder we used a file to tune rudders

and it only took a few light passes to ADD rudder torque - we added rudder torque to minimize steering slop

and maximize correction with minimal effort when pulling guys that really now how to ski through the course

adjusting the tab is easy and you'll know if you went the wrong way or too far the right way - just adjust it again

your not using a file and actually removing material anymore

• Like 1

Just an update, this adjustment worked like a charm. From the neutral point I am out ( to the right) 10mm and the boat now tracks nice and straight with no hard pulling..

Thanks everyone!

• Like 2

back in the olden days before Ron @ American Skier invented the tunable rudder we used a file to tune rudders

and it only took a few light passes to ADD rudder torque - we added rudder torque to minimize steering slop

and maximize correction with minimal effort when pulling guys that really now how to ski through the course

adjusting the tab is easy and you'll know if you went the wrong way or too far the right way - just adjust it again

your not using a file and actually removing material anymore

Haha, the olden days..... I did this as recently as 2001 to my Prostar. And have still done it plenty of times to my SkySki foils.

Hydrofoils & props work on similar concepts was a weird idea for me to grasp.

I've got a slight thread drift question but it has to do with the rudder so this is as good a place as any. This is my first season in a malibu and I love it. I will however admit the boat does not maneuver as well as and I/O but I am ok with that. My question is about my boat grumbling at me. When I turn with the rudder full tilt at idle like around a skier in the water trying to get the rope to them, it grumbles. It makes a funny noise until I turn the wheel back out and do a softer arch. Is that normal?

I read somewhere here that on rare occasions running with the rudder fully turned can flip the rudder? Can that happen or did I misunderstand the thread?

I would also like to do a little rudder tune. Forgive a stupid question but on my 03RLXi there is not the adjustable rudder right? WHen did the adjustable rudder thinger get added to our boats?

Edited by bbelt

So you went from 1/8" to 10 mm. Took more than you thought huh?

Yes I tweaked it a few times but ended up @ 10 mm to get the boat to go straight. Still amazed what this adjustment can do :)

I've got a slight thread drift question but it has to do with the rudder so this is as good a place as any. This is my first season in a malibu and I love it. I will however admit the boat does not maneuver as well as and I/O but I am ok with that. My question is about my boat grumbling at me. When I turn with the rudder full tilt at idle like around a skier in the ater trying to get the rope to them, it grumbles. It makes a funny noise until I turn the wheel back out and do a softer arch. Is that normal?

I read somewhere here that on rare occasions running with the rudder fully turned can flip the rudder? Can that happen or did I misunderstand the thread?

I would also like to do a little rudder tune. Forgive a stupid question but on my 03RLXi there is not the adjustable rudder right? WHen did the adjustable rudder thinger get added to our boats?

It's on all the Ride series boats which started in 2005, so I'd be willing to bet it's on your 03 too. Have you looked?

As for the grumbling, sounds like cavitation or air getting in the prop & blowing at the rudder. Are they in good condition?

I don't know exactly what to look for. A picture anyone? I look at my rudder and see a big hunk of brass sticking out of the arse end of my boat. Don't see anything I can adjust with allen wrenches except for the 4 screws that hold the plate above the rudder to the boat. I will feel pretty silly if that is what we are talking about.

To answer the other question, rudder is as old as the boat.

Prop is new 653 which replaced an older 515.

Is it ok to motor around at idle with my rudder fully turned?

bbelt -

You don't describe the "grumbling" very well, but it is safe to turn the rudder lock to lock if the cable and bellcrank are adjusted properly. My boat makes noise on rapid deceleration, and maybe more when I turn at the same time, but I think it is the transmission. Does your noise happen when turning either way, or just one way?

Here's a rudder with a trim tab (image snitched shamelessly from the Bakes website):

MalibuRudder_LG.jpg