Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Here It Is Once Again....I think I love It!

Afun

Ya know. I love it that a few are pushing the boundaries. Both the purple and orange are too much for me.

The last thing we want is for boats to become as boring as car color options. Aren't we done with silver / grey yet?

I don't understand why some believe flake will go out of style. How is it any different than metallic paint on cars?

Sure, some of the flake color combos on individual boats can be extreme (as evidenced by this thread), but if done right flake can be both tasteful and timeless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have thought about ordering a VTX just like my first one but with the purple being changed to metal flake. I think it would look awesome.

MabelLakeAugust2009349.jpg

Edited by Malibuzer

I don't understand why some believe flake will go out of style. How is it any different than metallic paint on cars?

Sure, some of the flake color combos on individual boats can be extreme (as evidenced by this thread), but if done right flake can be both tasteful and timeless.

I guess because flake was popular in the 70's but was not in the 90's. Now its back again but for how long? Who knows. All the people who bought skiboats in the 90's with pink or teal accents probably thought those colors would last as well. I'm sure they'll come back again someday too.

• Like 2

I guess because flake was popular in the 70's but was not in the 90's. Now its back again but for how long? Who knows. All the people who bought skiboats in the 90's with pink or teal accents probably thought those colors would last as well. I'm sure they'll come back again someday too.

I hear ya. But flake is not a color like teal or purple. It's just an effect. .

Remember when forest green metallic was all the rage on cars in the 90's? It was the "must have" color for several years. When it faded it was the green that disappeared, not the metallic which continued on in different colors (silver, charcoal, black, red) and is still wildly popular more than 30 years since it became mainstream in the 80's.

I think what we're more likely to see with the boats is that certain flake colors today will disappear and will be replaced by other flake colors.

1991_ford_explorer_96635319799761535.jpg

Maybe the reason we weren seeing it on inboards was because the manufacturers weren't offering it. They all just added it to their pallets maybe 5 years ago.

Boat buyers can't buy what they aren't offered.

Some of the flake looks nice. But what happens when it needs to be repaired? That's gonna be pretty tough to blend...just like it is on a car

IMO, flake should always be an accent and not cover the entire body. I wonder if it's possible to do a matte flat paint finish and ghost in the graphics like they do on West Coast Customs on these gel coats.

ahopkins22LSV

Some of the flake looks nice. But what happens when it needs to be repaired? That's gonna be pretty tough to blend...just like it is on a car

Quite a few people on here have had spots repaired with good luck. I have no personal experience though.

I had a bad gouge repaired in my silver metal flake. It was on an 07 Silver Edition VLX in the silver metal flake. So the flakes are a lot smaller than they are on the new boats.

I know where the gouge was located and can't point out the repair.

The gouge crossed the flake and went into the black gel as well. Can't see the repair their either.

Find a good gel guy and it shouldn't be a problem. Although finding the good gel guy may be a problem

Afun stole my picture! haha jk

I love that boat. After working the boat show with ProMarine and seeing the AMAZING responses to that thing, I have no hesitations that resale would be a piece of cake.

I downloaded that pic too a while back. My wife loves purple and honestly, with that flake, I don't mind it either. I'd definitely take that.

• 7 months later...
ahopkins22LSV

There was a brand new purple one at skipper buds in Madison still wrapped a couple of weeks ago if anyone is looking. Every time I would drive by I wondered who would want a purple boat. Someone?

ahopkins22LSV

If my wife loved the purple and I wanted a new boat. I could make it work for sure. Maybe not the majority of the boat like some of these. But as an accent to charcoal or black I think it looks really good.