Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 Supra burned up on Norris Lake over the weekend

dezul

Many other inboards have an extinguisher inlet hole..... so in the event your engine is on fire, you keep the engine cover closed.... you jam your extinguisher thru this plastic hole and let it rip. With the engine hatch closed and very little fresh oxygen available anyhow....a few blasts using this method are very very effective at choking out a fire. You guys gonna start installing these on your Malibus?

tahoe_Q5_fire.jpg

I always wondered why these fire extinguisher ports were not on most inboard boats. It wasn't on my MC either, but sounds like they might be now? I have seen them on SeaRays though.

I was at the hydro races in Seattle a few years back & saw a Supra catch fire. It was an electrical fire caused by the tower lights. The guy cut the Perko switch off & blew it out with a fire extinguisher without too much problem. Had he just let it burn there likely would have been mass chaos with all the other boats in the area at the time.

What amazes me is this fire started shortly after putting the boat in the water. Not knowing how the boat was stored and assuming it is stored like mine, I wouldn't expect gasoline vapors to accumulate in such a short amount of time. I am interested in knowing the maintenance history of it. Specifically the most recent maintenance performed on the boat and the last time the boat was operated. I figured if it was a vapor issue then it would have been an explosion and not a fire. I need to venture over to the Supra forum and see if there is any discussion on this incident.

What amazes me is this fire started shortly after putting the boat in the water. Not knowing how the boat was stored and assuming it is stored like mine, I wouldn't expect gasoline vapors to accumulate in such a short amount of time. I am interested in knowing the maintenance history of it. Specifically the most recent maintenance performed on the boat and the last time the boat was operated. I figured if it was a vapor issue then it would have been an explosion and not a fire. I need to venture over to the Supra forum and see if there is any discussion on this incident.

Could have started as an electrical fire & ignited something else. Obviously the fuel burned too, but there isn't any real indication that the fuel system started it.

Any clue what happens to a small fire when you add oxygen....it turns a big fire. I would be willing to get that once the opened the engine hatch the flames quickly turned out of control.

I do understand. If I see smoke coming out of my engine bay, I am going to open up the rear lockers regardless. My first move will be to move my peeps off the boat, then turn the perko switch, grab extinguisher and open rear lockers carefully.

ahopkins22LSV

I do understand. If I see smoke coming out of my engine bay, I am going to open up the rear lockers regardless. My first move will be to move my peeps off the boat, then turn the perko switch, grab extinguisher and open rear lockers carefully.

To quote the bad guy in Taken, "Good luck."

Aaaaaaaaaaaand we all know how that worked out for him.

Many other inboards have an extinguisher inlet hole..... so in the event your engine is on fire, you keep the engine cover closed.... you jam your extinguisher thru this plastic hole and let it rip. With the engine hatch closed and very little fresh oxygen available anyhow....a few blasts using this method are very very effective at choking out a fire. You guys gonna start installing these on your Malibus?

tahoe_Q5_fire.jpg

I don't recall who, but someone on this site installed one in their Malibu. It's a $20 part from West Marine.

With a full crew (whatever that may be for your boat), how many of you think that you could get a life vest on every passenger and get them off the boat safely in under 60 seconds? 30 seconds?

Another good point is where you keep your life vests. The vast majority of mine are in the port and starboard lockers because...well, if you own or have owned a vRide, you know there aint a whole lotta room otherwise.

Just accessing the lockers would introduce more oxygen. Ugh...Crazy I've never really thought this through until now.

:facepalm:

• Like 2

I'm lucky with where I boat being small. I could be on land in 30secs. If we had to ditch, not a far swim at all.

I've always had vests in the rear lockers, but now with the PNP sacs, I'll probably still put the vest for riding in the rear, but the orange "safety" vests, will go in the observers compartment. I keep 8 of those on board at all times, then whatever vests others bring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To quote the bad guy in Taken, "Good luck."

Aaaaaaaaaaaand we all know how that worked out for him.

Com'on...you are going to abandon ship just like that? Not even try....

I think the key if you're going to try to put the fire out is just to crack open the engine cover and immediately hit it with the full fire extinguisher. As soon as the extinguisher runs out, close the cover and leave it closed until help arrives. This, of course, would be after shutting the ignition off and switching off the battery switch (if equipped).

Don't forget that most small class B/C fire extinguishers have a discharge time of only 8-10 seconds. You better have a steady hand under pressure!

Steady Hand...Check

The Ninja

This is exactly why I stopped boating year round when we had our first daughter a year and a half ago... Hit something and start to sink or even worse a fire... An infant or even a toddler wouldn't stand a chance in 50 degree water.

I don't understand why you guys think a fire will stay suppressed until you open the engine cover (whether dog house or, V-drive) and introduce oxygen.

The engine compartment gets plenty of oxygen on it's own. How much oxygen do you think a motor consumes even when it's just idling?

An EFI system on these boats has fuel line/rail pressures of 60 psi. If the fuel line ruptures, or if an injector o-ring fails, that engine can be engulfed in flames in a matter of seconds. Especially if the fuel pump stayed running for a bit after the engine "stalled". Sure I would try an extinguisher if it was small but you really only have a very narrow window of time to get things under control.

A local friend had his car burn to the ground this way. A fuel line fitting at the fuel rail broke while the car was being driving at around 45 mph. By the time the driver got it stopped to get out (a few seconds) the car was engulfed in flames and he actually got burned a little bit just getting out of the car. Things happen fast when you have a fuel pump feeding the fire even for a very short period.

Edited by Brett B
  • Like 2

My boat is insured for stated value. I say drop the anchor, swim to shore, and let it burn (safety first). I want a new one with a larger engine. Ideally, this would happen in September, not April.

Edited by Cory

I would take my shirt off, open the engine compartment, and allow my manly beastly-ness to scare the flames into submission!

Lol, and if that failed, I'm going into the drink!

Don't forget to smother it with your topsiders.

I don't understand why you guys think a fire will stay suppressed until you open the engine cover (whether dog house or, V-drive) and introduce oxygen.

The engine compartment gets plenty of oxygen on it's own. How much oxygen do you think a motor consumes even when it's just idling?

or feeding it with the blower

my bets would be:

#1 fuel leak issue

#2 electrical ground out situations.....folks not doing aftermarket electrical wiring safely and correctly. wire grounds out, turns red hot and burns everything nearby.