Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 Supra burned up on Norris Lake over the weekend

dezul

So for the sake of understanding....No one would attempt to put out the fire?

Depends but I probably wouldn't, you might find yourself in Kalamazoo's situation, is it worth fixing, what problems will arise down the road. I'd let it burn!!

I'm making sure my wife and daughter are safely off the boat first. That said, I don't have afuns ninja assassin mackin samurai holy grail surf setup so no need for me to play firefighter!

• Like 2
martinarcher

I guess if my boat was "replaceable" aka I could hop online and buy another one similar to mine I would probably bail, but with my old Bu I'd do my best to get her put out before bailing. In the end the safety of myself and all on board is priority one, but I'd try my best to get the fire out before I bail on my Bu. She's mine and there aren't many like her. :)

• Like 3

I would like to think I would give it a few shots with the extinguisher and if it didn't work then I am out. No boat is worth getting burnt or killed. That's why we have insurance then we go buy another boat with a few less burn marks.

Me too. I would like to think I will give it a few shots.

Probably not.

The only way to know if it is a big deal, is to open the hatch and look. Then it becomes a big deal. I could also lift the cushion and little storage tub that is over the v-drive, but if flames & heat shot out of there if would be right in your face.

If i was in a dock slip and could be on the dock then maybe different because i could be putting other people and the entire dock at risk by not taking some action.

People >> Stuff

insurance will pay i get a new BU best case id toss the anchor in hooked to the bow ring and bail safety over anything

Just wondering what the anchor will do, and is it tied on with Kevlar rope?

personally if it seems small, I will try, but when it comes to the engine, i have to go with drop anchor if possible and jump....

These newer boats run hotter and more enclosed with electric fuel pumps... when something goes wrong like that although more rare now then on older boats, it has just as much of a likely hood to become catastrophic.

I may know this boat. If it was the orange and black one that's around my house every now and then. They mostly tube and are from around that area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strange indeed. Doubt the boat was even up to operating temps since they just launched.

I'd freak the Eff OUT if I saw my boat on fire with my wife at the helm when I was parking the tow rig.

I'll be sure to share this with her - I don't actually know what her response would be in the same situation. We always have our dogs in the boat too (with life jackets on.) Knowing her, she'd make sure the dogs were safe before she gave two-bits of attention to the boat!

We had a fishing boat come through the canals where we go and it started smoking real bad, i jumped in and took him an extinguisher as his failed. I was trying to bring the boat to the dock when the thing caught fire. I pushed gently him into the middle off the canal and yelled for neighbors on both sides to start hosing at the boat. I wasn't about to put a fireball next to houses. Luckily they go the fire out, but the point of dropping anchor is to keep it stationary and not let it drift into something making it worse.

There was a fire out at havasu yesterday too. not a wake boat, but still sad to see any boat catch and go down

i have two clips before the rope and the boats don't burn past the water line. the metal bow hook doesn't bolt to any metal so there would be little heat transfer till the front of the boat was fully engulfed to melt the rope. and transfer and heat sink through 2 clips. the anchor would hold the boat in place for 15-20 mins at least and deploys in 15-30 seconds

I would take my shirt off, open the engine compartment, and allow my manly beastly-ness to scare the flames into submission!

Lol, and if that failed, I'm going into the drink!

• Like 3

Many other inboards have an extinguisher inlet hole..... so in the event your engine is on fire, you keep the engine cover closed.... you jam your extinguisher thru this plastic hole and let it rip. With the engine hatch closed and very little fresh oxygen available anyhow....a few blasts using this method are very very effective at choking out a fire. You guys gonna start installing these on your Malibus?

tahoe_Q5_fire.jpg

• Like 1

Many other inboards have an extinguisher inlet hole..... so in the event your engine is on fire, you keep the engine cover closed.... you jam your extinguisher thru this plastic hole and let it rip. With the engine hatch closed and very little fresh oxygen available anyhow....a few blasts using this method are very very effective at choking out a fire. You guys gonna start installing these on your Malibus?

tahoe_Q5_fire.jpg

Does that come on your dingy in the Avatar....because it better come on that Gseries boat....

Does that come on your dingy in the Avatar....because it better come on that Gseries boat....

Nope, nothing like this, I'm in in the same situation you guys are.

but along the lines that was mentioned above... with EFI engines... with fuel systems under constant pressure, let a fuel line get burnt thru with 20+PSI and start squirting everywhere.... then you have a real problem. Mine has a remote canister syle fuel filter/water separator next to the engine...so thats even more 20psi fuel lines running around.

Major engine fire? shutting the engine hatch, everyone off with vests asap, grabbing my stuff....Engine off, Perko switch to off and over I go.

I am not going to disagree completely with you because I do not know the severity of the fire at the moment she observed it.

What else going to catch fire if it's not the engine? What's the purpose of the fire extinguisher?

Any clue what happens to a small fire when you add oxygen....it turns a big fire. I would be willing to get that once the opened the engine hatch the flames quickly turned out of control.

Any clue what happens to a small fire when you add oxygen....it turns a big fire. I would be willing to get that once the opened the engine hatch the flames quickly turned out of control.

This is assuming the fuel load is in abundance.

Anybody think it would be smart to hit the rear ballast fill? I'm just thinking if there is still battery power it may melt a hole in the hose and extinguish the fire? Off chance? Yes, but a thought. Now, in a tense situation like that, would I think to do that? Probably not.