Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best surf boat, $50k budget...?

IXFE

The one thing no one has mentioned is re sale ..... Like so many of us our first boat is replaced after a season or two for something maybe more long term that has all the options you want and you've figured out how to stop from slamming your boat against the dock. If he's dipping his toes in the water at 50k I would imagine the next step up is gonna be something with a surf system no matter the brand. If you can snag some of these 2012 and 2013 boats for around that price point I would say it's for a reason. Either quality or they just are not popular brands and models or have reputations as being finicky hulls to get dialed in. Surprised to hear so many guys on this forum bringing up MB , Supreme , Enzo's even as options against any year of the malibus line especially considering the re sale of the Malibus still bringing top dollar used and there reputations as great all around boats no matter what you are doing.

^^^^Because the OP asked for suggestions of a boat with the biggest surf wave potential @ $50K you see quite a few "other brand" suggestions. Folks with experience around custom inboards that have crawled around the new Supremes generally leave pretty impressed with the quality of materials and build. Says a bunch about the maturity level of many on this forum when they can look beyond brand.

Re sale is an interesting topic and definitely something to consider. It weighed on my mind quite a bit in my decision making process but in the very end it came back to dealer. I still say the dealer should be one of the top factors when making your purchase decision with a new or almost new boat, not brand.

Edited by Tims

Gotcha. No stiff throttles or loud exhaust. What is your suggestion to the op for the best surf boat for $50K?

Note: Watch out for my SC this season. It will make your ears bleed. (No muffler included!!)

It's not unreasonable to ask for a quiet boat and a smooth throttle, is it? It's such a pleasure to drive my VLX.

Looks like the Supreme is a good quality buy. Never seen one in person or driven one. The warranty is a huge plus.

I would recommend the OP to purchase a 2012 A22, but probably make the Supreme an option also.

^^^^Because the OP asked for suggestions of a boat with the biggest surf wave potential @ $50K you see quite a few "other brand" suggestions. Folks with experience around custom inboards that have crawled around the new Supremes generally leave pretty impressed with the quality of materials and build. Says a bunch about the maturity level of many on this forum when they can look beyond brand.

Re sale is an interesting topic and definitely something to consider. It weighed on my mind quite a bit in my decision making process but in the very end it came back to dealer. I still say the dealer should be one of the top factors when making your purchase decision with a new or almost new boat, not brand.

eh, not exactly...OP said: "he's primary drawn to surfing so whatever he gets should have good, long wave potential"....

Anyway, as to resale, a company that had gone from a well-known brand dying to the point Centurion bought 2 years ago is concerning to me. Just sayin'. I'd take a ten year old SAN or VLX for 25-30 ahead of a $50,000 supreme any day but that's just me.

The one thing no one has mentioned is re sale .....

I think the resale argument actually works in favor of Supreme, Centurion, MB, etc... if resale were bad, we'd be identifying dozens of these boats at or below the OP's $50K threshold. But we aren't.

The MB from onlyinboards posted above at $50K probably cost less than $55K new three summers ago. The bonkers price increases among other manufacturers have really propped up the resale values of these brands. As the man says, a rising tide floats all boats.

eh, not exactly...OP said: "he's primary drawn to surfing so whatever he gets should have good, long wave potential"....

Anyway, as to resale, a company that had gone from a well-known brand dying to the point Centurion bought 2 years ago is concerning to me. Just sayin'. I'd take a ten year old SAN or VLX for 25-30 ahead of a $50,000 supreme any day but that's just me.

That sounds like something someone who has never been in or surfed behind a v226 would say.

I think the resale argument actually works in favor of Supreme, Centurion, MB, etc... if resale were bad, we'd be identifying dozens of these boats at or below the OP's $50K threshold. But we aren't.

The MB from onlyinboards posted above at $50K probably cost less than $55K new three summers ago. The bonkers price increases among other manufacturers have really propped up the resale values of these brands. As the man says, a rising tide floats all boats.

In my area enzos go for about $85k new (according to dealer). Given the used ones posted on here, looks like they're taking a beating! In fact, that's like a 25% depreciation hit for the comps on here, for just a one or two year old boat. That may be the worst depreciation of any manufacturer? I know one thing, many people paid less new for an axis than what their boats would bring on the used market.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

That sounds like something someone who has never been in or surfed behind a v226 would say.

Yep, ridden in...surfed, no. Looked nice. Doesn't mean it becomes a recommendation for a first time buyer.

I think its a matter of perspective. Someone buying their first boat with a "primary draw" being to surfing and all of a sudden the recommendations on here are a brand new boat from a sub-standard manufacturer who from objective observation was bankrupt 2 years ago and whose boats do one thing well. In my OPINION, someone whose interest may wane (lets face it, the bug don't bite everyone) should be in a tried and true brand, whichever that may be, that's good at multiple things, to see if they even like the watersport lifestyle. IF so, they can whiddle their needs and likes and pick out the perfect boat FOR THEM. In my OPINION, what we're seeing here is the "Jeez, that's a great value, I would have bought that boat for 50k a few years ago if I'd a had the chance and therefore what I would have done and I like to surf so the new first time boat buyer would like the same". I don't think first time boat buyers are always right about what they predict they will like the most. Skiers go boarding, boarders go surfing, barefooters go cruising, tubers go skiing, etc.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Title says "Best surf boat $50K budget" Not "What boat has decent surf wave potential but holds value the best".

You would take a 10 year old boat over a new Supreme?? Wow! I guess I see some of where you are coming from. You have quite a bit of inboard experience and know exactly what you want.

In my eyes, brand popularity goes up and down with all the brands. Hell, Malibu could be a steaming pile in 3 years due to who knows what. You want to go with a brand with the longest history, probably should look at MC or Natique.

In my eyes, suggesting a newbie find and purchase a 10 year old boat, figure out ballast set up, and deal with ongoing maintenance items is a non starter and is one of the big reason why many folks get out of boating as fast as they got into it.

• Like 1

It's not unreasonable to ask for a quiet boat and a smooth throttle, is it? It's such a pleasure to drive my VLX.

Looks like the Supreme is a good quality buy. Never seen one in person or driven one. The warranty is a huge plus.

I would recommend the OP to purchase a 2012 A22, but probably make the Supreme an option also.

Nope not unreasonable at all. Just as it is not unreasonable for some to want a boat that has a growl and more resistance on the throttle. Not a bad choice on the 2012 A22. I hear that they put out a decent wave, but it would probably need quite a bit more weight to get the same wave quality.

Title says "Best surf boat $50K budget" Not "What boat has decent surf wave potential but holds value the best".

You would take a 10 year old boat over a new Supreme?? Wow! I guess I see some of where you are coming from. You have quite a bit of inboard experience and know exactly what you want.

In my eyes, brand popularity goes up and down with all the brands. Hell, Malibu could be a steaming pile in 3 years due to who knows what. You want to go with a brand with the longest history, probably should look at MC or Natique.

In my eyes, suggesting a newbie find and purchase a 10 year old boat, figure out ballast set up, and deal with ongoing maintenance items is a non starter and is one of the big reason why many folks get out of boating as fast as they got into it.

But when digging deeper, OP's criteria for his buddy wasn't that simple. It was a first boat and surfing wasn't in fact the only thing.

I said: "I'd take a ten year old SAN or VLX for 25-30 ahead of a $50,000 supreme any day but that's just me". See the distinction?

Brand popularity does go up and down. ie, Supreme hasn't been relevant in years. I never said he should look only to longest history, however, I did specifically include a SAN. It's not about Malibu. It's about the fact that Supreme went bye after the Sky Supreme like what, 12 years ago? Now, two people on here crawl through one at a boat show (mind you, those same people I'd bet haven't seen a Supreme at a boat show in 8 years) and say how great the build is and now its the leading recommendation for a first time boat buyer!? From a small dealer network? With exceedingly few units? And we're comparing "ongoing maintenance items" with a ten year old established brand? Do you really want to compare new boat "issues" from a reinvented brand with a ten year old boat from one of the big 3?

To say we have a regional difference would be an understatement. But, I respect your perspective. It's like someone who has never ridden a bicycle being told he needs a full carbon road bike with electronic shifters. For someone who thinks but doesn't know what their primary use for their first boat will be there could be, let them see what they like, drive a boat for free for a year, then get something new if that's what they want. But, we're on the crew spending other people's money so leterrrrrip.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

But when digging deeper, OP's criteria for his buddy wasn't that simple. It was a first boat and surfing wasn't in fact only thing.

I said: "I'd take a ten year old SAN or VLX for 25-30 ahead of a $50,000 supreme any day but that's just me". See the distinction?

Brand popularity does go up and down. ie, Supreme hasn't been relevant in years. I never said he should look only to longest history, however, I did specifically include a SAN.

To say we have a regional difference would be an understatement. But, I respect your perspective. It's like someone who has never ridden a bicycle being told he needs a full carbon road bike with electronic shifters. For someone who thinks but doesn't know what their primary use for their first boat will be there could be, let them see what they like, drive a boat for almost free for a year, then get something new if that's what they want. But, we're on the crew spending other people's money so leterrip.

well... if we are going to make a bunch of assumptions about what this family wants....

A supreme has more freeboard and is deeper than an early 2000's vlx or nautique. The perception of safety will be there for the Mrs.

A supreme will tow obese out of shape video game playing children around on a tube as well as any other inboard.

Wakeboarding is likely irrelevant because the average sedentary american adult will at best learn to get up on the board and won't know a bad wake from a good one. One wake heelside jumps are likely the end of most adult beginners progression.

Wakesurfing, on the other hand, is something that average fat out of shape american adults seem to be able to accomplish. It's fun and it seems like you are doing something.

So a surf biased boat isn't necessarily a bad thing.

(and for the record, every fat american adult in the world needs one of those grandpa bikes :Tease3: )

85, I understand where you are coming from and you make a good point about the owner not knowing what he wants. If any mention was made of wakeboarding or skiing as deciding criteria I would be willing to bet no one would have made mention of a Supreme. If your PRIMARY use is surfing, why not get the best surf machine?

These are good problems to have in life........

well... if we are going to make a bunch of assumptions about what this family wants....

A supreme has more freeboard and is deeper than an early 2000's vlx or nautique. The perception of safety will be there for the Mrs.

A supreme will tow obese out of shape video game playing children around on a tube as well as any other inboard.

Wakeboarding is likely irrelevant because the average sedentary american adult will at best learn to get up on the board and won't know a bad wake from a good one. One wake heelside jumps are likely the end of most adult beginners progression.

Wakesurfing, on the other hand, is something that average fat out of shape american adults seem to be able to accomplish. It's fun and it seems like you are doing something.

So a surf biased boat isn't necessarily a bad thing.

(and for the record, every fat american adult in the world needs one of those grandpa bikes :Tease3: )

I recognize I don't know what the family wants, but I am willing to offer the ludicrous suggestions that first time boat buyers don't know what they want either.

You do list some impressive assumptions tho :lol:

85, I understand where you are coming from and you make a good point about the owner not knowing what he wants. If any mention was made of wakeboarding or skiing as deciding criteria I would be willing to bet no one would have made mention of a Supreme. If your PRIMARY use is surfing, why not get the best surf machine?

These are good problems to have in life........

Because he didn't say it would be his primary use. OP said he is "primary (sic) drawn to surfing". The fact is, he has no idea what his primary use will be because he's never owned a boat! Surfing is his "draw". If after a year he has found that surfing is his primary use and "draw" for an easier dialed wake, fantastic, get a supreme. This is no different than someone from New York City walking into a boat dealership and saying they're "drawn" to fishing, and being sold a brand new Ranger bass boat AS OPPOSED TO someone experimenting just going fishing from the dock who may find they hate fishing but do want a pontoon boat. What people are "drawn to" may have a lot, may have a little, to do with how people in real life actually use it. When comparing a brand new boat for a first time owner who will go through a learrning curve of (docking, trailering, towers, props, vinyl, ballast, plugs, lights, leaks, covering, cleaning, triage, teaching, roping, worrying, rough water, etc etc) I find it surprising that people would recommend that people ride that curve in a brand new boat from a resurrected brand that does one thing well as opposed to in a boat that will see almost zero depreciation but allow him to actually see what he and his family likes. Where nitrous? Surely he could liken this to the Great Recession?

Edited by 85 Barefoot

^^^^^Sometimes I think you just like to opine. I said that I understand where you are coming from and you make a good point about the owner know knowing what he wants. But thanks for the story about the New York fisherman. :lol:

Does not change my opinion on what is the best surf boat for $50K is.

^^^^^Sometimes I think you just like to opine. I said that I understand where you are coming from and you make a good point about the owner know knowing what he wants. But thanks for the story about the New York fisherman. :lol:

Does not change my opinion on what is the best surf boat for $50K is.

Isn't that what you're doing? Opining?

An opinion which I have nowhere, nowhere, nowhere disagreed with.

Pavati ?..... fish , surf , wakeboard its the obvious choice for the OP , I mean the OPs friend, well actually guy down the street that waves as IXFE tows his boat by his place all summer.

Edited by 2008vtx

This is all so comical. 7 pages and the OP hasn't made an appearance since the first page or two.

Just the usualls bickering over a pile of speculation. Way to go IXFE! Your scat stirring skills are mighty impressive :lol:

I skipped to then end when I saw how long this was... glad to know I didn't miss anything :lol:

I skipped to then end when I saw how long this was... glad to know I didn't miss anything :lol:

Would have been even longer but Bobby either deleted some posts or had some posts deleted. :lol:

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Pavati ?..... fish , surf , wakeboard its the obvious choice for the OP , I mean the OPs friend, well actually guy down the street that waves as IXFE tows his boat by his place all summer.

Pavati...that's just funny!!!

Back to depreciation. If those centurions have taken a 25ish% hit already (the 23 footers were new or demo boats with 0 and 1 hour) how much more would you expect to see over the next couple of years? Haven't they seen the largest chunk of depreciation they will see? I believe that centurion, as good of a surf boat as they are, is only slated to get better in the near future which IMO will only help resale of the older models. A 60k new Enzo 230 is a heck of a buy in my opinion. Not the 50k OP is looking for but still a lot of boat for the money in regards to surf potential.