Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

impeller change

Fwiw, I never have bumped the starter to remove the impeller. I soak it some wd-40 for a couple mins, then use some vice grip needle nose players and it pops right out.

FWIW, the way I got mine out was a set of vice grip needle nose and while I was pulling on it I used an allen wrench on one of the crank to pump bolts to turn the motor a bit. Took about 1/3 a turn before it released.

My idea was to get a set and then tether them together and then to the pump with thin stainless steel cable and fishing swivels so that you can't lose them.

• Like 1

Finding them in small batches has proven a touch difficult...but I think McMaster Carr (website down at the moment) will have hem in big batches...*cough* *groupbuy* *cough*

I did find this auction on ebay though. I *think* they are the right size?

According to this, they are metric thread with a standard sized head.

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1263

M5 x 0.80 x 7/16"

Still not sure if the screws on my pump are standard or metric...

Metric threads forsure. I'll keep looking for an exact matching thumb screw. Took my other finds down so no one is mislead.

Metric threads forsure. I'll keep looking for an exact matching thumb screw. Took my other finds down so no one is mislead.

This one is the correct diameter and thread. They have 6mm long, 10,12,16

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/11507559?searchMode=productSearch&zipcode=&filterByStore=&filterByVendingMachine=

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't believe my dealer just quoted me 180 dollars to do this simple job.

I'll be doing it myself that's for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subscribed. I'd be in for a dozen if they'd work. Need to do my first impeller change and not really looking forward to it.

Brian, bring it by my house and I would be more than happy to help you.

Did mine a couple weeks ago first time popped right out with the impeller tool I forgot the WD-40 step so It took a little bit but then it popped out looked in great shape I will use it as my spare the tool was nice and you can never have enough tools might be able use it on something else!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got the thumbscrews on order...it took some time to fulfill it but it shipped today. I'll post pictures when I do it.

They work but are a little shorter than the original. Not sure if they'll catch with a fresh gasket.

post-15210-1398525241941_thumb.jpg

Edited by MotoGPTy

Brian, bring it by my house and I would be more than happy to help you.

I may just take you up on that. I have been reading how much harder it is to get to on a VDrive compared to a direct drive. I changed a couple on my BIL's eschelon and it was a PITA both times. I haven't even looked at where it is on this boat. Isn't the recommended interval every two years? I know it's relatively easy and inexpensive to change but is it worth it to change it early vs. just carrying a spare for if it goes early?