Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vent or not

moto96s

Would it be beneficial to add a check valve in the mix or would this not be necessary? I have the bags sharing a fill at the Thru hull under the engine.

Check valve not necessary. Cross venting helps avoid draining while surfing. I.e. Vent your starboard bag to your port side vent and vise-versa. Otherwise, depending on how big your bag is, you dump water out the vent hole when weighted up on just one side when you bag is vented on that side as well.

• 1 month later...

I used my bilge drain as my vent line. I just Y'd into it with a couple of check valves. Works great.

This way I didn't have to drill an extra hole.

Edited by FastFreddy
  • 2 months later...

I have aerator pump system. Check valves on the line but also put on PVC ball valves on the drain and vent lines. If we bloat the sacs for surfing we can shut off the drain and vent lines so we do not drain during riding. This was a quick setup. This winter we are updating the lines to run to the opposite sides. But for now its a cheap easy way to prevent any drain after they are filled for surfing.

Some of the vent flow will likely run down into the bilge. I would tie into the tank vent.

Not if you use enough check valves. I used three check valves, one per vent and one for the bilge drain. I used the wakemakers check valves and they hold very well.

Not if you use enough check valves. I used three check valves, one per vent and one for the bilge drain. I used the wakemakers check valves and they hold very well.

A check valve for the bilge line is about $20, where as a thru-hull is under $10. I do like using a check-valve in the vent line for a more complete drain, but to share the t-hull with the bilge, a check valve is a must. It make more sense to to share with the drain t-hull, as opposed to the bilge.