Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

13 VLX Gunwale ballast install/Big 800 Sumo (pics)

Fman

If he was leaning towards a prop for slalom skiing with wakeboarding/surfing weight capabilities I was thinking the 1235 might work. I would recommend the OP contact wake props (aka wakemakers). Spencer and his crew have a lot of experience with all types of props tested on the water.

I run the 1235 and I do it all from barefoot to heavily weighted surfing and it is adequate for me. I don't run a lot of ballast for wakeboardig and I am in a pre surfgate vlx. I am afraid I will loose to much top speed for the few footers in my crew (edit) if I switch to the 2315. I have not experienced any limit with the 1235

Edited by isellacuras

I am close to wide open for barefoot sessions as it is. Luckily there's only 2 barefooters in my crew and they don't ride to long. I don't mind a little wide open for short bursts as long as there's a purpose for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Fman,

I'm thinking of installing a reversible pump for my bow area. My thought is to install a pump in a similar location as one of your pumps and a switch at the helm like you. I run the water line to one of the side pockets in the bow area put a flow-rite connector on the end.

Could you explain where you tapped into power and ground for your pumps? Did you fuse your pumps? Any pictures of these wiring details? Thanks.

Cory, I went with the makewakers pre-wired switch bezel, it makes hook up super easy. I just ran the hot off my perko switch and the ground off the battery. The other two wires go off the pump and your good to go. I also ran a 30amp inline fuse for each pump which they also sell. See the attached diagram below. You can come directly off the "T" handle drain and not even drill a hole in your boat, its very easy. I used a dremel to cut out the switch case, and everything else is just a matter of running the hoses. I think you would be very pleased with having a dedicated fill line for a bow bag and not having to use a portable pump, easier and clean.

Here is the wiring diagram:

reversepumpdiag_zps641cc286.jpg

No problem Cory, I would suggest using wakemakers, Spencer or Jason will take care of you. If you have any more questions during your install feel free to ask. I do not know crud about stereos, but I have installed a few ballast systems.