Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Better version of boat buddy?

oldjeep

FYI - I confirmed with the manufacturer and Boatmate this is NOT a direct fit at this time, working on it though. I have a new trailer on order and was considering purchasing this, but as of right now it's a no go.

Missed this one. I guess I'll find out what the issue is when it arrives.

ahopkins22LSV

I wouldn't think that it would work very well on a lift since you would be floating coming in and if it locked at that height then what happens when you raise the lift.

They already make something like what Bill is describing - picture is my boat on previous owners lift. I don't have any info on who makes it.

That looks homemade.

That looks homemade.

I don't think so. Quick google for boat lift bow stop and it looks like Shorestation makes it - which would be the most common lift around here.

http://www.boatliftanddock.com/p-508-shore-station-bow-stop.aspx

http://www.shorestation.com/lifts/free-standing-lifts/manual/accessories.aspx

Edited by oldjeep
ahopkins22LSV

I don't think so. Quick google for boat lift bow stop and it looks like Shorestation makes it - which would be the most common lift around here.

http://www.boatliftanddock.com/p-508-shore-station-bow-stop.aspx

http://www.shorestation.com/lifts/free-standing-lifts/manual/accessories.aspx

Holy cow! I would not be paying 3-500 for that. I would just be making my own out of probably 20-30 dollars worth of PVC (not necessarily in the same design either)

Holy cow! I would not be paying 3-500 for that. I would just be making my own out of probably 20-30 dollars worth of PVC (not necessarily in the same design either)

Not sure that PVC would take the hit, but I guess it would be worth a try. I guess since I've got a tube bender for roll cages I could make one out of steel for about $15.

ahopkins22LSV

Not sure that PVC would take the hit, but I guess it would be worth a try. I guess since I've got a tube bender for roll cages I could make one out of steel for about $15.

Regardless. I think their prices are crazy. I honestly have never had a problem pulling into any lifts, my friends or my parents up north (I currently trailer). A very very cost effective way is to figure out how low to lower it just just barely contact the hull and then pick a point to line up with. For example on my parents boat we use the rear seat back where it meets the gunwales and the rear posts of the hoist. Mark the cable, if its a cable hoist on how much to let out.

Regardless. I think their prices are crazy. I honestly have never had a problem pulling into any lifts, my friends or my parents up north (I currently trailer). A very very cost effective way is to figure out how low to lower it just just barely contact the hull and then pick a point to line up with. For example on my parents boat we use the rear seat back where it meets the gunwales and the rear posts of the hoist. Mark the cable, if its a cable hoist on how much to let out.

well. Prices for anything marine are crazy. Folks with 70k to spend on a boat and lakefront property are not likely to cringe at a few hundred for a dock accessory. Heck, I'm paying 500 for a piece of arced steel that must cost under 50 to make so that my boat will fit in the garage ;)

I'm not understanding why it would not work on a boatmate. We have the standard 4" roller bow stops everyone else has.

On a side note, it's pretty clear how it clicks in and locks, is it equally easy to release the boat once the stern is in the water? So with an 7000lb boat on an angled ramp with tension, just pull the lever and it easily releases?

If this thing works like it looks.... This would shave another 30-60 seconds off my ramp routine, would remove all the winching... The nylon winch and safety cable would have slack and only used as the backups. I'd be all over this.

Edited by nyryan2001
  • Like 1

I've had mixed success with the durability of the boat buddy, although I love the idea. I'll be ordering one of these as a replacement sometime this summer.

Thanks for sharing!

I'm not understanding why it would not work on a boatmate. We have the standard 4" roller bow stops everyone else has.

On a side note, it's pretty clear how it clicks in and locks, is it equally easy to release the boat once the stern is in the water? So with an 7000lb boat on an angled ramp with tension, just pull the lever and it easily releases?

If this thing works like it looks.... This would shave another 30-60 seconds off my ramp routine, would remove all the winching... The nylon winch and safety cable would have slack and only used as the backups. I'd be all over this.

Check out this video showing it in use, it does not just fit inside the bracket that holds the bow roller. Hopefully after oldjeep gets his or Boatmate evaluates further we'll have more details.

Check out this video showing it in use, it does not just fit inside the bracket that holds the bow roller. Hopefully after oldjeep gets his or Boatmate evaluates further we'll have more details.

I've made it a habit to avoid intentionally colliding with my trailer.

I don't really see the problem with it. Looks like it worked fine. Not much cushion between the steel & fiberglass, but did the job like it was supposed to.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

This is the response I got when I asked about an older Boatmate trailer.

It is going to work fine on Boatmate trailers old and new. Before I order my second round of parts Boatmate wants a little more room for the Ramp-N-Clamp to rotate around the mounting bolt. Their trailer uprights are cut at a slight angle at the top and our polyurethane cover is cut out for a rectangle.
The fitment is tight on their trailers so we are both making some very minor changes so they can start using the Ram-N-Clamp. I do not know if that will be done in the next couple months. Hold tight for right now we are both working on it.

Just got back from vacation and it was waiting for me. I see now what they are talking about - basically you either need to grind out the poly a little or round off the corners on the bow roller holder. Either way - no big deal.

post-22501-0-44231700-1396213299_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone installed one of these yet? I was planning on it today and once I got the bowhook on I realized that the boat would have to be further back on the trailer to install it. Kind of a problem since I couldn't leave the extended bow hook on and just install the ramp n clamp at a later time. I guess when I finally get the boat in the water I'll have to make sure that it loads back a bit. so that the long bowhook would clear the stock roller on the trailer. And FWIW, on this 2012 Boatmate trailer it didn't seem like there were any clearance issues with the arms that hold the bow roller and the ramp'n'clamp

WP_20140423_014.jpg

Edited by oldjeep

Yep. Installed. Works great. Had to notch out boatmate riser so it is at the right angle. I jacked up the front of boat with floor jack and padded block. It was forward a little too far, but I was still able to finagle it. Once I unloaded and reloaded the first time it was perfect. Do you have a boatmate trailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bunji169