Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding sub to observers compartment

joshuadale07

Yes 2.0 ft3 sealed shouldn't be a problem. Would I be better off trying for a ported? Dimension wise, I can go 20" wide. If I have the sub firing towards the back of the boat, the left side of the box could be 16" and the right 22" as my back wall under there is angled. Height needs to be 14". Is there a way to build a spl box for it with an angled rear baffle or will it not work? Just doing the math with those dimensions the box would be around 2.3 ft3 if I port it I will lose X amount and that's not including sub volume. Am I better off with sealed or spl. Sorry guys I'm new to this and trying to learn. I guess that's what y'all are here for though right?!

Couple things come to mind. First, I wish the guys who are more familiar with box design would jump in here. I'd like to confirm my thoughts with someone more knowledgeable. Although Kicker says you can do a vented box, this driver really is designed for a sealed enclosure. I'm having a hard time finding the 2008 L7 T/S parameters but based on the 2004 L7 in BassBox's database, the efficiency bandwidth product (EBP) is 45. Anything with an EBP under 50 is a sealed enclosure candidate. I have a 10" L5, the EBP is 56. This is the box Pete at PWK designed for me.

07_zps9a55de7f.png

You can see it's 23 X 14 X 10. Also if you look at some of the vented box plans in Kickers various L7 manuals, the 12" L7 plans look too big. If you want more SPL than SQL you can build the sealed enclosure smaller than 2 feeties. It comes down to your goal.

Well I got my box done. Went with a sealed enclosure. 20" wide x 14" tall with a tapered rear baffle from 14" deep on the port side and 20" deep on the starboard side to follow the Angle of the back wall. It is resting on top on the footrest. I need to find a way to secure it in now as the only bottom support is the too of the footrest. ! I was able to sell the cx1200.1 to a friend and I picked up a kicker ix1000.1 from my local audio store. I am very happy will the outcome. My sub can now keep up with the rest of the boat! Thanks for all the help fellas!

• 1 month later...

Well I got my box done. Went with a sealed enclosure. 20" wide x 14" tall with a tapered rear baffle from 14" deep on the port side and 20" deep on the starboard side to follow the Angle of the back wall. It is resting on top on the footrest. I need to find a way to secure it in now as the only bottom support is the too of the footrest. ! I was able to sell the cx1200.1 to a friend and I picked up a kicker ix1000.1 from my local audio store. I am very happy will the outcome. My sub can now keep up with the rest of the boat! Thanks for all the help fellas!

Pics?

I found out my footrest cannot be removed, or at least not a project I want to get into right now

Unless they changed it from 2000 to 2001, it is just held in place by a few screws hidden in the carpet. Not hard to pull out as well. I had a ton of space behind mine.

I will post pics soon. Sorry guys been busy with work and haven't been on in while! The box is mounted and its work to get it out so I will post pics of final results