Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow Vehicle for 2014 23 LSV...Ram 1500? GM or Ford...

Eddy88

Congrats on the new truck. Best of luck with it.<br /> <br />Not to sidetrack, but how do you like your 2013 Mustang GT? I have an 06 GT and am hoping to upgrade to a 2011+ with the 5.0 just as soon as the 2015's come out and a whole bunch hit the used car market.

<br /><br />Me too man

Congrats on the new truck. Best of luck with it.

Not to sidetrack, but how do you like your 2013 Mustang GT? I have an 06 GT and am hoping to upgrade to a 2011+ with the 5.0 just as soon as the 2015's come out and a whole bunch hit the used car market.

Thanks.

No worries, the GT is awesome, love it. I have a 2013 GT CS in white, convertible with black top...so fun to drive and the 5.0 is a great engine. You will not be disappointed.

• Like 2

Nice, I missed out on an opportunity to buy one last week. 2011 GT premium with 55k miles for $16k

Wow. That is a steal. Lowest I can find around here is around $24k for a 2011. There isn't a huge inventory locally but I hope that changes in about 6 months.

• Like 1

Yea most of them are in the low to mid 20s around here. I'll probably wait another year or so. I just put about $2k into suspension lol so I need to drive it for awhile longer. The coyote is an amazing motor though.

I agree. I still love mine also. It won't be long before it needs a little work, though. Lower control arms are probably first on the list.

• Like 1

I tow with a for excurtion 7.3L turbo diesel. I will never let he go. You can't even feel the boat back there. You can get one for about 10K and they will drive for 400K miles. Just keep it as a tow vehicle only. Gas Mileage isn't that bad either about 17MPG.

• Like 1

I agree. I still love mine also. It won't be long before it needs a little work, though. Lower control arms are probably first on the list.

<br /><br />I just got some actually, they help a lot.

Nice write up. My main concern with the ram would be payload with the coils in the rear. I'm guessing that's why you added the air ride. Please post up a review after you tow with it!

Nice write up. My main concern with the ram would be payload with the coils in the rear. I'm guessing that's why you added the air ride. Please post up a review after you tow with it!

The payload is not that much less than ford. Supercrew 4x4 w ecoboost is 1560....ram laramie (which is the least of all the trims) is 1470.

You will love that truck! I have the 2012 Longhorn limited it is AWESOME!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

2010 laramie here (before all the fancy laramies!) with never a single issue. Could not possibly be happier.

I'm looking forward to what you have to say about the Ram once you have it.

I appreciate all your information, too. I've been looking around in preparation for my next truck. I lease them because I need a new one for work every 5 years, so the 39 month lease thing is great for me.

Oddly enough, just the other day I was looking through the Ram product information and they really have stepped it up in the last few years. We have a few in the fleet at work and all that drive them love them. Then, I regularly ride in one owned by a coworker and I'm impressed with it. I've never been a Dodge fan, but I really think they're making great progress on the Ram. Like you, I've not been a fan of the exterior styling, but everything else about it impresses me. The Ram offerings have my interested peaked for sure.

I think the quality issues, as with all the manufacturers, are inconsistent. I have a friend who had one and loved the hemi but hated everything else because of quality issues. I think he just got a bad one. Another friend with one loves it and has over 100k miles with no issues whatsoever and has made comments about the next one he's going to buy.

I currently have an F-150 Ecoboost and I really like it. I don't get advertised MPG, but it's strong and has done well for me. I've had one warranty issue with the rear end, but other than that, it's been a great truck. I also agree with you on the interior trimmings. Ford has gone to much more hard plastic as opposed to the plushness of the Ram.

Congrats on the truck! Again, I look forward to what you have to say after owning and driving it for a while.

• Like 1

I am ok with the Payload, for my needs will be fine, may push it a few times a year, but rarely have much of a load in the truck...the air ride is mostly for the ride, it is awesome, also the self levelling feature is great for when hauling something heavy in the back and for when you hook on...hopefully it is as good as they advertise.

I will post some pics and a review once I get it.

• 11 months later...

Thread Bump.

Where is the update on towing with your new Ram? I just bought a 2015 Ram with the 5.7 Hemi. I am very excited to tow the VLX with it this spring. I already added the Air Lift 1000 bags to eliminate the sag when hooked up. Coming from a 5.3 GMC, I am expecting quite the difference in pulling power. I never imagined myself buying a Ram either but it has a lot of things I like: power, smooth, 8 speed trans and way cheaper than GM or Ford.

Thread Bump.

Where is the update on towing with your new Ram? I just bought a 2015 Ram with the 5.7 Hemi. I am very excited to tow the VLX with it this spring. I already added the Air Lift 1000 bags to eliminate the sag when hooked up. Coming from a 5.3 GMC, I am expecting quite the difference in pulling power. I never imagined myself buying a Ram either but it has a lot of things I like: power, smooth, 8 speed trans and way cheaper than GM or Ford.

This thread is changing my mind about Ram's as well. I wasn't aware of the air ride suspension, and I like the new interiors. My brothers friend has an older ram big horn (2011ish) and I hated that interior, but it towed our boat much better than our 5.3 Avalanche. I think I will reconsider a Ram when the time comes to get a truck.

Thread Bump.

Please elaborate on "way cheaper".....I bought an F-150 last year and still love it and I wasn't shopping ONLY by price but it was a big factor and I don't recall seeing the comparable Ram's much cheaper. Also, post pics!! Congrats on the new ride. I'm wondering if I will need to install airbags for our new boat as it'll be a lot heavier than our current one.

Low 30's. It is the express edition so it is not loaded by any means. However it does have a backup camera, integrated trailer brake controller, black 20 inch rims, HID headlights. All Items that swayed my decision, along with the Hemi that puts out 395 hp. GM I was looking at mid 30's similarly equipped inside and I couldn't get the exterior to be anything but boring. This is the first Chrysler product ever and was nervous, but I have been pleasantly surprised in how much I like it. The airbags were super easy to install and I hope they keep it level. Now for spring to come so I can get the boat out. The only pic I have is the one shown. I will get some of the whole set-up in a month and post.

• 2 weeks later...

Thread Bump.

What kind of sag were you getting? Granted mine is a 2wd, but it takes around 7-800lbs in the bed for it to get to level. I run 600lbs of sand back there all winter and the rear sits a couple inches higher than the front.

Edited by oldjeep

Thanks mniba1 - I really enjoy the truck so far!

oldjeep - I just bought the truck and haven't hooked anything up yet so I have no idea what it will do. By adding the 2" leveling kit in the front, I am at a 1" rake and wanted to keep it that way when towing. That is why I added the air bags at the same time.