Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow Vehicle for 2014 23 LSV...Ram 1500? GM or Ford...

Eddy88

I know there is a thread running, but it seems focused on the Ford's, so starting a new one to keep it fresh as I am looking at everything...

I have been test driving trucks for the past 3 weeks and researching them fairly heavy and getting closer to making a decision, that said appreciate any input. It is also my daily driver so want all the goodies and stick to a half ton for practicality and better ride.

Tundra - love the look, liked the power...but real stiff ride and the technology compared to the other guys, just seems behind IMHO...same with the interior.

GM - liked them, was actually planning on ordering a 2014 Denali with the 6.2L in it when I started out...took it for a drive...nice, but did not blow me away, then I met with the sales manager after and that pretty much killed the deal...GM is having major supply issues, the 6.2 L is unavailable at this time and may not be through the 2014 model year...sunroofs are currently unavailable...rear sliding window (which is supposed to be a standard option) unavailable...trailer brake, currently unavailable but should be back in stock...essentially their suppliers cannot get them the parts, and it is a major issue...anyway, could go on, and I am sure there is some available if I looked around...but in the other post I know someone said you could get a good deal because the GM's are not selling...exact opposite, sales are way higher than expected and supply is going to be an issue for awhile...

Ram - went in there thinking I will never own a Dodge (Ram)...no real reason, quality/reliability concerns, however no experience to justify that...just a GM guy by birth!...however now my dad drives a Ford, so guess we are past that...anyway, was pretty surprised by the new Ram's...took out a 5.7 L HEMI, 8 speed Automatic - Laramie Longhorn, air ride, loaded...ride was awesome, lots of power, technology, luxury interior...the Ram Box is pretty cool...the boxes and tailgate all lock on with the key fob...keyless entry, push button start...etc...these things are loaded up....for some reason I still have reservations...

Ford - driving tomorrow - 2014 Eco Boost Platinum...will advise how that goes...

In the meantime, anyone towing with a 2013 or 2014 Ram 1500 right now?

Also thoughts on infotainment systems? I have a 2013 Mustang with My Touch and Sync (pretty good), and tried the Intellilink in GM (ok, was pretty glitchy in the test drive, but did not have a lot of time with it), I felt the UConnect in the Ram is a lot more user friendly...as for the Toyota, not even close, we have a 2014 Toyota and the interface is ok, but still miles behind the other guys, and in the Tundra I drove same thing...IMHO

Thanks

I think all the manufactures had a difficult Jan and Feb due to weather, but the new GM trucks have some pretty nice discounts going on. Have you checked with any other dealers?

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140226/RETAIL/140229891/chevy-to-boost-march-incentives-in-unprecedented-promotional-assault

Interesting read, and thanks...they did send me a quote on a 2014 Denali with the 5.3 L in it, and the price is good...just too bad with the supply issues, when you are spending $50 K plus on a truck one should be able to order exactly what they want. Will keep it in mind while shopping.

So I have an 08 F250 on 20s and I've noticed a few things towing my LSV. One with a 2" drop hitch I couldn't cleanly get the trailer jack down. it was ugly, so had to buy a straight hitch. I think it's due to weight, so make sure you get air shocks or a heavier spring system than comes in a 1/4 ton.

Up hill my diesel can definitely feel the boat, turbo kicks in a ton. Flats can't tell it's there.

The boat is wide, I need to expand my mirrors to see cars behind it, so you may want this feature also

So I have an 08 F250 on 20s and I've noticed a few things towing my LSV. One with a 2" drop hitch I couldn't cleanly get the trailer jack down. it was ugly, so had to buy a straight hitch. I think it's due to weight, so make sure you get air shocks or a heavier spring system than comes in a 1/4 ton.

Up hill my diesel can definitely feel the boat, turbo kicks in a ton. Flats can't tell it's there.

The boat is wide, I need to expand my mirrors to see cars behind it, so you may want this feature also

Hey CJ, I picked up my 2014 LSV with my 2011 Avalanche with a 2" drop, I feel your pain...we were about an inch low, needless to say was a little scary dropping the brand new boat onto the hitch...so I am all over making sure we are high enough...

Good call on the mirrors, will add that to the list...thx

My wife took it off the truck the first time, texted me all freaked out trying to explain it. Then when i dropped it back off at the dealer I figured out what she meant. I forced it too hard and the wheel rolled all the way around and smacked me in the shin.

I've pulled other LSVs and this one just seems wider on the trailer when i look back in my mirrors

Interesting read, and thanks...they did send me a quote on a 2014 Denali with the 5.3 L in it, and the price is good...just too bad with the supply issues, when you are spending $50 K plus on a truck one should be able to order exactly what they want. Will keep it in mind while shopping.

No problem and I agree on sticking with exactly what you want. I special ordered my truck because I wanted the 6.2 (Ford) and none were on the lots. Not sure if this is still the case, but I don't think you can get the max tow package on the platinum F-150. The FX4 with appearance package is the best deal in my opinion and you can get max tow and Super Duty mirrors with it.

I have a 2010 ram w hemi so it's the same save for the tranny on the 2014. I also drove a Durango a few weeks ago though w the 8 speed. That thjng blew me away. Anyway, I'm speaking up as to durability concerns on the ram. I had the same. I've had mind now four full years and have 62k on the ticker. I have not had a single glitch w the truck. Not one. It's been great. Mpg not bad, sounds good, IMO not even close on having the best interior. I couldn't be happier. New u connect system is awesome. I put a k and n intake in and Gibson exhaust and just change the oil. I think I'm gojng to keep it forever. Seriously.

No problem and I agree on sticking with exactly what you want. I special ordered my truck because I wanted the 6.2 (Ford) and none were on the lots. Not sure if this is still the case, but I don't think you can get the max tow package on the platinum F-150. The FX4 with appearance package is the best deal in my opinion and you can get max tow and Super Duty mirrors with it.

I have a platinum with max tow. It's a 12. I haven't checked the option sheet to see if they no longer offer it, but I am pretty sure they do.

I wonder about towing with an 8 speed tranny. Seems like it would shift a lot. Maybe it has a tow mode button to lock you out of 6,7,and 8 or something. The only experience I have had with the Dodge Ram, wasn't a pleasant one. Mostly it was transmission issues, and an uncomfortable seat. Hopefully that has all been remedied!

I'm curious as to what you end up with. I test drove all the half tons a few months ago. I actually thought the tundra drove the best (read: I liked the most). That surprised me a little because going in I thought I would like the f150 the most. I was not a huge fan of the new dash in the tundra and overall thought it had the worst interior.

My wife has a Lincoln with the my touch system. It is the worst pos. I wouldn't buy another ford with it.

It is very buggy and slow. We have done all the updates, but it jut clunky.

My wife loves the system in my 2014 gmc.

Edited by bamabonners
My wife has a Lincoln with the my touch system. It is the worst pos. I wouldn't buy another ford with it.

It is very buggy and slow. We have done all the updates, but it jut clunky.

My wife loves the system in my 2014 gmc.

Sounds like it might be time to trade her Lincoln

Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. 9,800 lb tow rating and 28mpg. Although the sold 8,000 of them in 3 days of preordering, so you might not be able to get your hands on one.

I am going through the Same Dillema. I have to say Dodge was out pretty quick but looking at Chevy and Ford.(have always been Chevy thought I would never buy a Ford). Bit drove a left over 13' Lariat white with black leather and the dark woodgrain. It was an eco boost and man was I blown away. It had everything under The sun. I live in CO have a 25LSV and go to Powell once a year. That is my biggest tow. Other than that I am towing on the eastern plains. The truck is light duty but it will tow up the mountain way better then a non turbo assisted engine. My thought is go eco boost F150 and enjoy the truck everyday versus trying to buy a big HD tow rig that is not practical as a daily driver. Can't wait to see your thoughts. The trucks are just sick

I am going through the Same Dillema. I have to say Dodge was out pretty quick but looking at Chevy and Ford.(have always been Chevy thought I would never buy a Ford). Bit drove a left over 13' Lariat white with black leather and the dark woodgrain. It was an eco boost and man was I blown away. It had everything under The sun. I live in CO have a 25LSV and go to Powell once a year. That is my biggest tow. Other than that I am towing on the eastern plains. The truck is light duty but it will tow up the mountain way better then a non turbo assisted engine. My thought is go eco boost F150 and enjoy the truck everyday versus trying to buy a big HD tow rig that is not practical as a daily driver. Can't wait to see your thoughts. The trucks are just sick

What lakes do you hit in CO?

Yeah, all of the trucks are very nice. Will see how the Ford Eco Boost does today and will report back. Question for you though, why was the Dodge out so quick? I have reservations due to quality concerns, but not sure if they are justified.

I drove the Tundra Platinum, GMC Denali, and Dodge Laramie Longhorn all back to back and the Dodge surprisingly impressed me the most...I plan to drive them all again, just kind of threw me off as going into it was pretty sure I would be sticking with GM.

We tow minimum of an hour every time we go out, mostly rolling hills, and then 2-4 trips through the mountains each summer. I want the towing to be "easy".

No different then the Bu's we buy, Champagne problem I know, but big decision none the less.

Will report back this evening, unfortunately due to the temperatures and snow I can't hook on to try towing, so just driving them.

Which Tundra did you test? They have a new interior for 2014 which looks pretty darn good to me. I don't think this interior gives up anything to the competitors.

2014-Toyota-Tundra-1794-Edition-front-in

Which Tundra did you test? They have a new interior for 2014 which looks pretty darn good to me. I don't think this interior gives up anything to the competitors.

2014-Toyota-Tundra-1794-Edition-front-in

Goota say it looks like bu bu tossed his cookies on that interior..... Or did they steal the interior from the station wagon from Vacation....