Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone Running Over 4000lbs in VLX with High Altitude Prop?

Afun

I don't know how much they will weigh. Over 1000 for sure. The Enzo sac that they sell online, not custom, is 1450lbs. The bag is much bigger though. These are about $750 each...yikes!

Afun I have the 2006 vlx with the 2313 and run around 2500lbs plus 8 to 10 people on average and the 1235 struggled with my boat and I went with the 2313 and love it.Gives you just a little more top end than the 2315 but pulls out of the hole great. I have the 350 Monsoon engine.

That will be the 1235 prop...I know the crew feels the 2315 will be the way to go...

Please let me know your boat, ballast weight, prop....and your thoughts

Thanks Afun

I have been running 4200 lbs of ballast in a 2013 23LSV with Monsoon 350, usually with 6 or 7 riders and crew. Had the 1235 (about 45 hours with it) but have moved to the 2315 and have put over 275 hours on the 2315.... It is awesome. With stock ballast, 2 750s in the rear lockers and 1200 bow sac, the 350 takes about 28 seconds to get on plane for most of our rider speeds of 22 to 23 mph. Can't wait for a break in the weather... I now have everything plug and play, each with its own pump. This set up with 6-8 people make and awesome surf wake at 11.6 to 12.4 mph... Tall and long wave... Can surf about 15 feet behind boat and those lighter surfers can go back as far as 20 feet off the swim platform. Hope this helps... Let me know if you have any questions. Have fun this spring and summer!

What prop did he have originally? I find a lot of people do not understand. What the different props do until after the fact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He said he's not sure the specific model, just the stock prop.

I am running stock ballast, 550 PnP's, and a 1,000 triangle sack in the middle of the floor, w/ ten people on the boat. I have the 1235 and it gets out of the whole and comes up to wakeboarding and surf speed ok, but I have a problem with the front end starting to bounce unless i cram 4 people up front... I wish the VLX has a little more space for ballast bags up front...

Edited by Marmonick

I am running stock ballast, 550 PnP's, and a 1,000 triangle sack in the middle of the floor, w/ ten people on the boat. I have the 1235 and it gets out of the whole and comes up to wakeboarding and surf speed ok, but I have a problem with the front end starting to bounce unless i cram 4 people up front... I wish the VLX has a little more space for ballast bags up front...

Why not put the triangle sac in the bow? I have one and the 550 sacs. I got a nice wave just not that long.

Speed will lengthen the wave. Not more wieght.

Nose weight mellows the height and in turn usually softens the wave a bit.

Running heavy makes the wave taller and usually provides a firmer wave. But you typically need more prop or HP to produce a longer wave when running heavy.

A big steep wave sucks. You will find the longer , more balanced waves are way more fun to ride.

Speed will lengthen the wave. Not more wieght.

Nose weight mellows the height and in turn usually softens the wave a bit.

Running heavy makes the wave taller and usually provides a firmer wave. But you typically need more prop or HP to produce a longer wave when running heavy.

A big steep wave sucks. You will find the longer , more balanced waves are way more fun to ride.

I found the addition of the bow sac to give me lots of push. I still want a longer wave. Good post Bobby.

how fast are you running afun? How fast is rayray running?

Both at 11.4 but my lazy but has not calibrated with GPS

Does butt have two t's

Edited by Afun

11.4 for me, my wife will usually run at 11.2. I think you already know my opinion on this topic but get 2315 prop, you wont regret it. I think it will be really hard to push all that weight without the proper prop. If we have any more than 2 people in the boat we will usually drain a little from the sacs.

A bigger boat will always displace more hull and give you a better wave when properly weighted. I haven't found one scenario yet were a properly weighted smaller boat will outperform a larger one properly weighted.

We have virtually the same hull shape, so some things are relative.

What is the speed limit set at on your boat. I know some of the early ones would fold the gates in at 12mph. I heard they were upping the speed limit to 14, but don't know when they started doing it.

Looks great, and he is a great surfer. I sure wouldn't pass on giving it a rip.

All I was saying that an equally proportionate weighted 247 for conversation sake, will most likely put out a longer , taller, more powerful wave.

There is a reason they almost always use 24 ft boats in all the surf comps.

Looks great, and he is a great surfer. I sure wouldn't pass on giving it a rip.

All I was saying that an equally proportionate weighted 247 for conversation sake, will most likely put out a longer , taller, more powerful wave.

There is a reason they almost always use 24 ft boats in all the surf comps.

I understand what you are saying about bigger boats. If I could get a wave like RayRays on my boat, no need to ever upgrade. Now, if I get wave like that, I have a feeling my crew will grow. So an upgrade 295 inches strong will probably happen.

Afun,

Just bite the bullet, run down to Great Wakes, buy that supercharged 247 sitting on the lot and forget overloading your VLX!

I have seen this all before................ You might as well skip all these money spending steps.

Afun,

Just bite the bullet, run down to Great Wakes, buy that supercharged 247 sitting on the lot and forget overloading your VLX!

I have seen this all before................ You might as well skip all these money spending steps.

I see you are currently boatless....a 247 will be in your future....have you seen the Orange and Grey LSV at GW....Wow