Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best surf setup for 2013 vlx

ozsurf

Thanks! I am trying to put together some more vids, I have all this footage from the last half of the summer and haven't had the time to put some together.

Here is my setup:

All MLS full

2 custom "enzo style" sacs plumbed in with johnson reversible pumps

750 sac in the bow - pretty close to full ( I am plumbing this to another johnson pump in the spring)

Wedge - all the way down ( sometimes a click or two up if you want a little steeper face)

Speed 11.4 - calibrated with gps

Prop Acme 2315

Could you please explain what custom Enzo sacs are. You plumbed these in using the nearest pnp hose? If you have pics toss them in here...thanks.

Are these sacs the fly high W712 1450 sacs...Awesome...I want them....you could not hook them up normally to the plug n play?

Edited by Afun

I'm with you Ruff, kind if surprised to stumble into this thread and find our video here. That day was fun, but it's funny how it's taken on a life of it's own on the forum.

Just for proper context, I don't even own that many sacs. I invited some local guys to come surf my boat. Ruff brought the sacs so we could mess around a little. Until that day I'd never used anything but my PnP 750's in the lockers. I don't remember thinking the sacs did anything spectacular for the wave over what I'd been used to. I'm not saying more weight doesn't help. But I am saying that we only had two guys in the boat and I'm sure we didn't have optimal placement of the sacs; we were just guessing. Furthermore, there was no experimenting going on. Once we had them full we just surfed, listened to Ruff's killer play list and had fun. Who has time to empty, move, and refill sacs on a Tuesday afternoon?

After that day I continued to run my PnP 750's in the lockers. I went and bought a 750 to put across the bow. I think it helps a little, but it won't blow our mind. Maybe because I've always had some weight in the bow even before the extra 750 sac (I usually ask 3-4 people to sit up there when we surf).

Much has been said about the VLX Surfgate wave on this forum based on this video and Ruff's remarks. I don't know who's right or wrong. I do know that I never have to pump to stay in the wave... I barely know how to pump effectively and I can ride for days on my 5'1" Ronix Parks Thruster (very fast board down the line). I also had a Soulcraft Fangtail that day (Skurfer gave me a 4'8" demo last summer that I kept for like a month!). I tried hard to like the Soulcraft... I really wanted to because everybody raves about it. In the end, I took it back to Skurfer and didn't order one. Even on that board I never had to pump like Ruff, but it was slower and required more care to stay in the wave. I also found it a lot less stable side to side. Bottom line, maybe it's just not a good match for my wave. IDK. Sometimes I think it's not about good waves and bad waves, rather it's about good combidations of variables (wave, speed, board, rider size, rider style, etc.). For example, who's to say that if I take my Parks Thruster to Ruff's boat I'd still like it? Maybe on his boat I'll like the Soulcraft better.

In summary, I wouldn't place much credibility in that video. There was nothing "dialed" about it.

You guys were one of the few VLX Surfgate videos that actually have the weight configuration listed on the video. There are some others out there, but nobody seems to list what type of weight set up they are using. I figured it was on You Tube so you must not mind if people take a look at it. I was going to post a few of my Surfgate pictures up with my weight configuration but they are so subjective to angles, a video seems to do a better job of actually seeing what the wave looks like.

I think its a very nice looking wave, hopefully the OP gets a view of what some extra weight looks like.

No worries, Trav. It's in the public domain so it's fair game. :biggrin:

When i think of an absolutely sick VLX Surf Gate wave I always go to this video. I know the boat was heavily weighted (the platform is 6" under water), but who cares with a wave like that!! When I went out with Ruff, my secret goal was to reproduce this wave. Obviously we came up short, but I can't imagine these guys in Seattle had any more weight than we did... maybe better placement? different wedge? speed? Who knows???

Ruff, looking at this video, where do you think we went wrong?

Also, does anybody know what board that dude is riding? Seems to like the wave.

Edit: I just noticed that I commented on that video asking what the weight set up was. That was 7 months ago... no response. Who does that??

Edited by IXFE

I called Seattle Boat back when they first posted these videos to ask about the ballast used. They couldn't give me an answer cause they said they had the boat out several times that weekend with many different configurations and couldn't remember which was used for the particular video clip posted.

Could you please explain what custom Enzo sacs are. You plumbed these in using the nearest pnp hose? If you have pics toss them in here...thanks.

Are these sacs the fly high W712 1450 sacs...Awesome...I want them....you could not hook them up normally to the plug n play?

Fly high made a sac specifically for the Centurion Enzo that filled the back lockers and had a finger that ran up under the seats. That is the one you refered to above, that sac will not fit your vlx well. I had one made similar to that for each side of my VLX. There is a custom order form on the fly high website. You measure exactly what you want, draw it out, put drain/fill holes wherever you want and 6-8 weeks later you have your custom sacs. I believe wakemakers also has some similar to mine you can order directly from them but I like to choose where everything goes and do the measuring myself. I am sure you could hook them up to plug n play but I am not sure how well it will work. It would probably take forever to drain plus I am not sure you could run a vent hose high enough that would prevent the bag from siphoning. I run one johnson reversible pump for each bag, no vents. I am hooking up one more this spring for my bow bag.

2010-09-15_19-36-55_484_zps4f9737c0.jpg

2010-09-15_19-36-30_380_zps8cd9cb7e.jpg

RayRay,

Will all that weight the 2315 is a must? How does the 2315 cruise without the weight?

ANYONE INTERESTED IN SOME 550 Pn'P Sacks?

I think the 2315 is a must, it would pretty tought without. I have no problem cruising, it may run at a little higher rpm at top speed. It definitely doesnt bother me.

Wow! The bags are huge. The investment is huge too. Looking at about 1700 bucks. I already have the big bow sac. That price will include two of those bags and the prop. I think this is the season for the upgrade. I got Soulcraft, got the Surfgate, just need to go big now! Thanks for sharing.

Wow! The bags are huge. The investment is huge too. Looking at about 1700 bucks. I already have the big bow sac. That price will include two of those bags and the prop. I think this is the season for the upgrade. I got Soulcraft, got the Surfgate, just need to go big now! Thanks for sharing.

Don't forget another $1k to do it right with reversible pumps on switches.

It is so worth it! Best money I have spent on upgrades to my boat.

Fly High Pro X Series Enzo Fat Sac (Surf Sac)

Enzo Sac Dimensions: Body (Rear Compartment Portion) - 30 x 25 x 26 Arm (Under Seat Portion) - 72 x 25 x 12

12817646525_97569a2f53.jpg

image by Afun2011, on Flickr

So it's not this one...looks like this one will work just fine...Any thoughts?

What do the reversible pumps do Shawn?

Fill more quickly (bag and hard tank fill at same time), drain more completely (bag sucks raisin flat). I sorta wonder, though, whether you could put a check valve on the PNP fill line to double the fill time while minimizing the risk of draining back through the hard tank? Dunno haven't played with a PNP setup enough to know.

This would work but only for the regular side, you would still need to order another custom one for the goofy side as the finger is shorter. Also I am not sure why there are so many holes in it, not sure that is necessary. The simpler the better.

http://www.wakemakers.com/05-malibu-vlx-custom-ballast-bag.html

It's got 3 fill/vent and 2 drain ports, I understand now...thanks.

Fill more quickly (bag and hard tank fill at same time), drain more completely (bag sucks raisin flat). I sorta wonder, though, whether you could put a check valve on the PNP fill line to double the fill time while minimizing the risk of draining back through the hard tank? Dunno haven't played with a PNP setup enough to know.

Don't forget that when you complete the mod, you could back on the site and tell everyone how badass you are for doing it....smiley face

Don't forget that when you complete the mod, you could back on the site and tell everyone how badass you are for doing it....smiley face

Yes for sure. Drilling a 1.5" hole through the bottom of your boat correctly definitely gets the b.a. juices flowing. Here anyway. My wife wasn't so impressed.

What do the reversible pumps do Shawn?

The big advantage of the those pumps is they will completely empty the bag. No more residual water left standing in the bag that you have to manually empty.

A custom Enzo would be an L shaped sac made to the specs of the person buying it. The standard Enzo is the Fly High W712. With a custom sac, you can make it to just about any shape/size you want and choose the number and location of the threaded ports.

A custom Enzo would be an L shaped sac made to the specs of the person buying it. The standard Enzo is the Fly High W712. With a custom sac, you can make it to just about any shape/size you want and choose the number and location of the threaded ports.

Thank You...I understand now RayRay has gone above and beyond in helping me with this.

Adding more weight will definitely not have any negatives effects (assuming its properly distributed), IMO. Its usually just my wife and I riding but if we have a crew with us, we may dump a little out of the sacks in back.

A BIG IMO...I am not just saying this because RayRay is awesome and he is helping me with my set-up....

The wave in this video and the video itself is the BEST I have seen to promote the sport of wakesurfing. Malibu should have contacted RayRay for advice on how to create a promo video. This is the wave that we should all strive for!

The only video I saw before was RayRay on his green board doing aerials. I thought he had a bigger boat being listed. I missed the fact it was a VLX with Surfgate.

Hey guys

Thanks for all the help on this it is great to get so many different ideas and options.

Just placed my order with WakeMAKERS we ended up running with 2 x 750 straight liners for the rear to match up with the 2 x piggy backs (the straight liners will fill and drain faster) and a 1000 fly high bow sac up front.

I will post a video when I get and fit them.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch the nose dips with that much weight upfront. Make sure you and who ever you let pull you know how to manage that much weight. Just an FYI

With that said, looking forward to the videos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by wakebrdr94
  • Like 1