Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow vehicle decision - two trucks - need help

40oz

Okay, so I sold my Tahoe and have been looking for a new tow vehicle. Test drove a few trucks and realized I like the ride of the F150 the best. Found two crew cab F150s in my area and have got both to agree on the same price $12,5. The question is which one??

This one is an 07 stock everything, rip in the driver seat. Other than that clean truck but miles are a little high.

http://bham.craigslist.org/cto/4347165479.html

This one is an 06, New motor at 160k miles with receipt from Ford dealer where the put it in. High miles on the trans but since motor is new....IDK. Aftermarket stuff and super clean truck. He has maintenance records and seems to know the truck pretty well.

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/cto/4347301724.html

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am open to other suggestions, but I would like to only spend 12.5. Thats not a lot when looking for a nice newer truck, so I am kinda limited to high miles.

Either of you familiar with the cam phaser tick on the 5.4L ford?

I nixed a truck I was looking at a few years back because of this. If I remember right it was an expensive repair when I researched it. Also make sure that the truck wasn't a contractor vehicle. This is quite common for used, high mileage trucks and they were abused in many cases.

Have you driven the 06? If he's put 20k on it since the motor swap, then I'd say it was probably done properly. 160k vs 180k is nothing really, more importantly would be how it was used. Even so, if it blows within 10k miles, you spend $3500 more and you basically have a new powertrain.

Plus its way prettier with 20's and Kuhmo's :thumbup:

Edited by Ndawg12

Have you driven the 06? If he's put 20k on it since the motor swap, then I'd say it was probably done properly. 160k vs 180k is nothing really, more importantly would be how it was used. Even so, if it blows within 10k miles, you spend $3500 more and you basically have a new powertrain.

Plus its way prettier with 20's and Kuhmo's :thumbup:

Will drive tomorrow...He said it was replaced with a new 5.4 that has no cam phaser issue and the once piece spark plug so no chance of breaking like was a common problem.

the 2007 says 160k highway miles, maybe he only commuted with it, which is a safer bet?

although the 2006 has 180k miles was the engine replaced because of the way it was driven?

Engine was replaced becuse low compression on cylinder 8. When Ford told him it was 3k to take apart and find out why, he just spent 1k more and got a new engine.

Engine was replaced becuse low compression on cylinder 8. When Ford told him it was 3k to take apart and find out why, he just spent 1k more and got a new engine.

hey with a new engine warranty my vote goes to the 06

sounds like everything is more skeptical on the 07 anyway.

• Like 2

Barely any difference in the years, the newer motor will pull the boat better than the 07. The only thing that worries me is the trans, but just keep a bottle of lucas trans oil in the truck to be safe :D

Judging by the 06' modifications it was probably owned by someone younger like me, I would check under that truck for signs of being swamped in mud etc. My buddy just sold his 06 that was starting to burn oil, truck was babied it's whole life and it still was having problems. Only towed his 21 and 23ft supras and a jeep on a trailer, it was a dog with a trailer! But that is comparing it to 3/4t's

The trans in either of those trucks is honestly very cheap in the whole realm of things. The 4R75W is a fairly good unit overall. I think a reman is under 2k with a 3 yr unlimited mileage warranty. Labor to have it replaced would normally run just under a 1k at most dealers.

The reality is this .When looking at a rig that old with that many miles, be prepared to have to make a large repair of some sort. Its just how things work. If you don't end up having to do something major then its a bonus, but chances are no matter which one you pick you may be faced with a 2-3k repair down the road. The one with the engine replaced may have the remainder of a warranty left depending on when/where it was installed.

I like the 06 myself a little better.

• Like 2