Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boards clap when on racks

jpk

Get the Nice racks... Their very quiet, rock solid, and they look good.

One thing I will recommend is that you get the covers for them.

I now have covers for the board racks,lites,and speakers, basically everthing but the tower, and no more cleaning bugs off the chrome. Biggrin.gif

Nice, do you have a picture showing how they look from the sides?

Here is a cool picture from the side at the dock... I think there is another one in my gallery.

I was hoping that they would come with a bigger center fork. Thank you for the info and the pictures! My boat stays on the boat lift under my boat house all summer long, and in the garage all winter. I won't need the covers but I think that I will get them any way because the spider webs tend to get bad during the summer under the boat house. Where did you say that you got them and how much were they. I know somebody that could make them pretty easy. I was going to try this when I get the racks, hopefully today. I have a bag with drawstring that my motorcycle helmit fits in and it looks to be the same stretch material. I was going to see if they fit and use them instead. I had another question for you on your tower speakers. I love them and I was going to try to install some orange ones on my tower this winter. Right now I have just stock CD and 4 speakers from the factory. I believe that the tower is already pre wired, but I was wondering if the wires are already wired to my acc. toggle switch, and if I was going to have to install a bigger fuse or braeker. My old boat had one 12" sub, 6 channel amp, and six speakers in the boat. I had a 6 light bar that I wired my self but it drew so much amperage I had to install another JOMEX pop breaker to hold the watts. I can only imagine what kind of watts those speakers and lights would take up. Thank you for your edvice and look forward to hearing from you.

I now have covers for the board racks,lites,and speakers, basically everthing but the tower, and no more cleaning bugs off the chrome. Biggrin.gif

Here is a cool picture from the side at the dock... I think there is another one in my gallery.

I was hoping that they would come with a bigger center fork. Thank you for the info and the pictures! My boat stays on the boat lift under my boat house all summer long, and in the garage all winter. I won't need the covers but I think that I will get them any way because the spider webs tend to get bad during the summer under the boat house. Where did you say that you got them and how much were they. I know somebody that could make them pretty easy. I was going to try this when I get the racks, hopefully today. I have a bag with drawstring that my motorcycle helmit fits in and it looks to be the same stretch material. I was going to see if they fit and use them instead. I had another question for you on your tower speakers. I love them and I was going to try to install some orange ones on my tower this winter. Right now I have just stock CD and 4 speakers from the factory. I believe that the tower is already pre wired, but I was wondering if the wires are already wired to my acc. toggle switch, and if I was going to have to install a bigger fuse or braeker. My old boat had one 12" sub, 6 channel amp, and six speakers in the boat. I had a 6 light bar that I wired my self but it drew so much amperage I had to install another JOMEX pop breaker to hold the watts. I can only imagine what kind of watts those speakers and lights would take up. Thank you for your edvice and look forward to hearing from you.

You could use helmet bags...

I used cut dress socks to cover the lights! I don't care if they fall off, I have a drawer full.

I think I paid $25.00 bucks for the socks for the board racks, which is a great price to me. Since you don't trailer the boat its not a huge deal, but if you have to trailer like me, you gotta have them. The Illusion is pre wired, put I don't know the gauge of wire they used, or the quanity of wires, but maybe somebody else on here can help you with that. If you can, you could just open the tower and look for yourself.

Good luck!

You could use helmet bags...

I used cut dress socks to cover the lights! I don't care if they fall off, I have a drawer full.

I think I paid $25.00 bucks for the socks for the board racks, which is a great price to me. Since you don't trailer the boat its not a huge deal, but if you have to trailer like me, you gotta have them. The Illusion is pre wired, put I don't know the gauge of wire they used, or the quanity of wires, but maybe somebody else on here can help you with that. If you can, you could just open the tower and look for yourself.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info and when I get all this done and together I will post some pics. Thas funny with the socks. I heard one guy one time said that he puts seran wrap around all the speakers and lights everytime he trailers and just throws it away after each run, I thought that was pretty simple and functions well. Take care and thanks again for your help!

Jeff that is one beautiful boat Drool.gif

What marina was that in the pic? Are you guys hitting the delta this weekend?

Stewart,

Thanks for the compliment.. your boat ain't too bad either! Biggrin.gif

That dock picture is not from the Delta, but was taken at my favorite lake, the one nobody else on here likes because there is no shade, there is too many rattlesnakes and mountain lions, its too hot, there are to many bugs, there are too many trees in the water, and my personal favorite, its too windy in the afternoon.

That is fine by me - less riffraff I have to deal with on the water and at the launch ramp.

We will be out this weekend, just waiting to confirm a third. Probably be out at BW early AM...

I will look for your rig...

Jeff

I have the new Nice-Racks and they work a heck of lot better than their first generation. I am much happier with them.

OK, I'm getting really fed up with the Metcraft racks. Just cruising at any speed over 20 causing major board slap. It's so loud I think my boards are going to crack. There must be a better way to tie down the boards to prevent this, or I don't think Malibu could have been selling these as the OEM racks for so long. The forks are really skinny, so they don't naturally hold the boards apart. I have maybe 1 centimeter or less distance between my boards in these racks at the outside edge.

OK, I'm getting really fed up with the Metcraft racks. Just cruising at any speed over 20 causing major board slap. It's so loud I think my boards are going to crack. There must be a better way to tie down the boards to prevent this, or I don't think Malibu could have been selling these as the OEM racks for so long. The forks are really skinny, so they don't naturally hold the boards apart. I have maybe 1 centimeter or less distance between my boards in these racks at the outside edge.

JPK,

sorry to keep harping on Nice-racks but I have gotten mine last week and the center fork is widder than the outsides to keep the boards from slapping together. They work perfect and look great. That is the way to go. When I ordered my boat I did not order the stock racks because of the problems I heard about with them, and I waited to order these. I love them, and it looks like most of the people from this thread do also. I ordered mine and it took a while but when the order was found left at Nice-racks shop he sent them 3 day air to me in VA in time for the weekend. Very nice person to work with and this product looks very "NICE" pardon the phun.

These are the new Tribal Nice-Racks the middle fork is a long tear drop shape and the top board slot is about a 5 to 10 degrees higher angle than the bottom slot making the difference (gap) between two boards even greater.

Edited by RiverRunner

Do you think my dealer would let me return the racks after being used for a few weeks? I'm not sure if I can get my money back or exchange them for a brand they don't carry.

Also, I see you have two racks on one side of the tower. The Metcraft racks are angled for specific locations on the tower so that the upper rack is pointed away from the lower rack. With the Nice Racks, do you have problems with the boots from a board on the top rack preventing you from loading a board into the upper forks of the bottom rack?

Edited by jpk