Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Jump Seat

Buckeye Slalom

Anyone have any experience with a behind the driver jump seat in a Response? I'm considering purchasing one and am drawn to a behind the driver location as opposed to a bow pass location. I'd like to know if short line skiing would be a problem for someone sitting behind the driver. Thanks.

We had one in a previous boat. The rope was very close to the person sitting in that position and could pose an issue if the rope gets snapped back on 1-3-5. The other thing to consider is weight balance in the boat. You could move it side to side depending on crew size.

You didn't say if you had LXI, I'm assuming you do. I would just get the walk through jump seat then you could use it any where. The regular jump seat is too wide for the walk through.

ahopkins22LSV

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the jump seats for the TXi movable to either the side of the engine or in the bow walk through?

Edit: I think I found an example: http://www.skierspier.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=0656872X1K14K2014J7I47I18JAMQ8196R0&veh=3560885 I know for a fact that the jump seat pictured to the side of the engine in this listing fits in the bow walkway too, because that is where I had it when I drove this boat for the Polar Bear event this year.

Edited by ahopkins1988

You can put the jump seat on either side, but if there are 2 people sitting in the observer seat, it gets kinda tight. ANd the rope and handle, should it be returning to the boat unattended at the ole high rate of speed, is an issue for anyone sitting in that seat on either side of the engine cover. AT least they see it coming, the driver usually does not have time to duck.

Edited by happypappy

Buckeye

I have the jump seat and find it very useful. Saying that, I find I have used it mostly in the front

between the driver and spotters seat for the crew. If I have it beside the engine drivers side it becomes

a little tight when your sking or wakeing with the rope coming close to that individual. Barefooting

is not a problem and having one sit there helps to balance out the boat while one is out on the bar.

Many times I leave the jump seat at home if its a crew of no more then four, at the same time if we have a larger

crew it is handy for cruse seating. Especially with kids when the weather becomes inclement for bow riding.

;)

There used to be jump seats for either side of the engine box. The response barefoot edition came with them and they were optional for any direct drive. I had 1 for my 2002 Sunsetter. When the response LXI came out they came up with the one that is contoured to match the spotters seat so it's a "continuous bench". The later one will fit anywhere.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't given much thought to the uncontrolled handle return... I like the photo from the listed boat ad. I think the walk through does seem to provide the extra flexibility with positioning. Thanks again!

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the jump seats for the TXi movable to either the side of the engine or in the bow walk through?

Edit: I think I found an example: http://www.skierspier.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=0656872X1K14K2014J7I47I18JAMQ8196R0&veh=3560885 I know for a fact that the jump seat pictured to the side of the engine in this listing fits in the bow walkway too, because that is where I had it when I drove this boat for the Polar Bear event this year.

The jump seat along side the engine cover is wider than the one that fits in the walkway….we have both for our LXI. Like Wayne said, the one in the walkway, the vinyl is made to look like the seat is continous.

Edited by happypappy
ahopkins22LSV

The jump seat along side the engine cover is wider than the one that fits in the walkway….we have both for our LXI. Like Wayne said, the one in the walkway, the vinyl is made to look like the seat is continous.

Do you know if anything changed for the TXi?

If there are two separate ones, my personal opinion and what I would probably do is order the one for the walkway as it appears to be usable next to the engine and then you will have the option to place it in either spot. If the side engine seat won't work in the walkway then I wouldn't think it is worth it.

Years ago I made a jump seat for the walk thru on my MC Prostar 205. I built the frame out of scrap Trex decking lumber, which allowed me to make it the right height, shape & width, & hinge the seat bottom so it could be used for storage. Then took it to an upholstery shop & had padding & upholstery added to it. I wish I still had a picture of it... it came out pretty good. I think I was into it for around $100.

At the time, there were other guys who did it too. East Texas Skier on the other TMC forum built a super nice one, even used the factory skins so you couldn't tell it from stock. There was another guy who added a sub-woofer in his.

a buddy of mine who didn't like the small cooler because of the size as well as how quickly the ice melted it in bought a cooler that fits right behind the driver seat then upolstered the outside of it. and stuck fabric on tthe bottome so it didn't slip.. just an option that might serve 2 purposes

Edited by tccombs

a buddy of mine who didn't like the small cooler because of the size as well as how quickly the ice melted it in bought a cooler that fits right behind the driver seat then upolstered the outside of it. and stuck fabric on tthe bottome so it didn't slip.. just an option that might serve 2 purposes

Having a cold drink close by is always a good idea!!

• Like 2

Buckeye ... you may want to take a look at this post.

Configurable Seating for DD

I had meant to post this for a while, but your questions finally got me off my butt to post it.

I have the OEM jumpseat for the walkthrough and use it all the time. I like have the full "bench" at the front, even though it does block the walk-through a bit.

But the jump seats I created work really well and are comfy and are much more useful than the jumpseats sold by Malibu for beside the engine cover (IMO). Sure mine don;t have backs, but they are much easier to move around, they are fully configurable and much smaller. with a TXi, space is at a premium and I can't imagine using all the space necessary to have 1 or 2 more OEM jumpseats in my boat.

Edited by holden

Jump seat I have is for the walk way and fits fine behind the driver. In the walk way it can be set up like a bench with storage behind or pushed up towards the windshield when not in use. Behind the driver works fine for skiing until you get in to 28 off.

And another back seat mod.

post-82-0-24567600-1390149354_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-29356700-1390149848_thumb.jpg

Edited by onamission

Omamission

The back seat legs, is this a Malibu option or self designed? Great idea, where did you

Pickup the legs? Taking it they fold up into the seat base.

No mods to the seat, just found ladders that were close in width. I may have adj. the width with a little persuasion, but not much.

Very cool. So many ways to solve the problem. I like this cuz it gives more sun pad room almost like the v drives. Mine approach gives more seat configurations. This gives others ideas on how to approach and what is important to them. Thx for sharing.

Did your rear set mod. to our old 1990 Supra, saved a lot of wear and tear on those cushions.

Malibu rear seat cushions hold up a lot better, no problem with ours being stepped on for the past 9 years.

(Rear seat is pulled in the spring and fall when we are just skiing)

Do you know if anything changed for the TXi?

If there are two separate ones, my personal opinion and what I would probably do is order the one for the walkway as it appears to be usable next to the engine and then you will have the option to place it in either spot. If the side engine seat won't work in the walkway then I wouldn't think it is worth it.

The one for the walkway does fit behind the drivers seat next to the engine cover on the Txi. We did exactly as you suggest even though we don't really use it much behind the driver.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

The one for the walkway does fit behind the drivers seat next to the engine cover on the Txi. We did exactly as you suggest even though we don't really use it much behind the driver.

Awesome! This is good to hear.