Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Michigan Boarder Engine Blueprint and Build

sgt1970-442

Sgt - let's tally up where we are at with $$. I'm 99% sure we can do the dyno, but we are close to finalizing everything and I'd like to put together the final bill, plus the dyno, so it's all together. Can you email or PM that over to me? The dyno needs to happen, but I just need to lay out the costs.

MalibuNation

Someone mentioned video taping the first run ... got me thinking are you going to do any sort of break in period? Does being on the dyno count :biggrin:

I have an old school video camera and wondering if John's boat can keep up with my LS1 :lol:. Actually as light as his boat is he might blow my doors off.

I have an old school video camera and wondering if John's boat can keep up with my LS1 :lol:. Actually as light as his boat is he might blow my doors off.

Once he gets the prop figured out I definitely think you're in trouble. I don't think the old cast 13x13 is going to be the best option with all the extra power. I wonder what prop Woodski runs on his boat with that modded motor.

• 2 weeks later...

It's official, we are going to dyno. First with Steve's 600cfm carb, then my stock 650cfm Weber, then his monster 850. Going to run her up to 6k rpm or so and see what we've got, even though realistically we'll never spin it that hard in the boat. Yes, there will be video! It might not happen until around the beginning of next month though, unless we can find a window to fit it in.

• Like 3

It's official, we are going to dyno. First with Steve's 600cfm carb, then my stock 650cfm Weber, then his monster 850. Going to run her up to 6k rpm or so and see what we've got, even though realistically we'll never spin it that hard in the boat. Yes, there will be video! It might not happen until around the beginning of next month though, unless we can find a window to fit it in.

Yeehaa! Need to have sound with that video, of course.

• 4 weeks later...

Busy season for Sgt. I dropped off my carb, cap & wires, the manifolds, and other stuff. Got to see him in action, the guy in the purple shirt:

post-8942-0-35446100-1405604863_thumb.jp

post-8942-0-38448600-1405604872_thumb.jp

post-8942-0-62448600-1405605158_thumb.jp

Thanks for the update ... been wondering!! I'll be on the lake both Sat and Sun if you need a pull.

Won't have time. I'll be busy polishing my hose clamps and painting my bolt heads.

• Like 1

Don't forget to wash the cat.

Cat?!? Got nothin' to do with getting the engine stuff ready! Actually I'll be in North Muskeon all weekend. Bike Time in Muskegon Friday night, and the boys are getting back from a week long Appalachian Service Project on Saturday. Work stuff too on Saturday and Sunday.

Not kidding though on the hose clamps and bolts! Gonna be a "clean machine" (spoken with a Cheech Marin accent).

• Like 2

thanks john for being patient. this season has been crazy with work. I got a manifold bolted up and clearance is almost not existent. will be able to check other options on Monday.

• Like 1

I think it is great that Sgt and Michigan are working together on this. However, as the months have gone by and I have watched this thread thread i am starting to get the feeling like we almost got to start some side bets on whether Michigan actually gets his boat in the water this summer or next summer.

Has anyone else been thinking this or is it just me?

Btw Michigan I feel your pain!

I must admit, I have wondered the same thing...

However, just to be honest, my boat has not gotten wet yet this year, so I have no room to talk or think...LOL

Just Sayin` :(

Edited by JB-FOOT

Ive been silently following this thread and was wondering when you were going to get to the manifold clearance issue... I myself ran into this over the winter with my 355 340 hp engine build and a slight oversight on my part when I installed roller rockers and had to go to taller valve covers. I got around the riser/valve cover clearance issue by purchasing a set of 3/4" marine manifold spacers (head to manifold) and getting bolts 3/4" longer. Then, still not enough clearance, I took the inner riser drain plug out, replaced with a flush style (allen key style) rammed it in the hole, then ground some cast material. I ended up with 1/8 clearance.

Stuff happens and we all get busy. Whaddya gonna do, it'll get going when it gets going. With planes getting shot down and wars and people dying to immigrate, my boat problem is small stuff.

• Like 2

Like I said I think it is great that you guys are working together. I get the whole idea of substituting time for money or money for time. The best part is that both of you seem to be on the same page as far as time frame. As with a lot of threads on here there is some good natured ribbing that goes on, like buddies giving each other the gears. I guess this was my attempt at that. Apologies if anyone was offended.

• 4 weeks later...

so lets give a little update on what we have going on with this thing. I have ordered several sets of roller rocker arms that each company said would fit. THEY DID NOT FIT. what the problem is,,,, the springs and retainers that were used by the shop we ordered the heads through used to big a diameter. stock size is 1.250 and we have 1.510. ie the inside of all the rockers we have tried hit the springs. i'm not about to take an enpensive set of roller rockers and cut eyebrows in them so they will fit the springs. we've tried lash caps and still not going to work. exhaust all options except for beehive valve springs which is where we are at right now. waiting on springs from comp cams... hope this helps with some of the lack of postings on this engine.

so lets give a little update on what we have going on with this thing. I have ordered several sets of roller rocker arms that each company said would fit. THEY DID NOT FIT.

This kind of stuff is amazing to me. You can't be the first guys trying use 1.5" dia springs on a small block chevy, the most commonly modified engine there is. And these aftermarket guys don't realize their product doesn't fit?

• 5 weeks later...

I don't know if it is due to the heads you are using, but when I looked into upping to a larger lift cam on my last boat, there were two options, go with bee-hive springs or fly cut the spring seating area to allow full compression of the cam. I understand that is a bit different from what you are experiencing, but did they go with 1.5" springs for the lift? I though I had read that the larger diameter springs had a smaller wire diameter allowing for more lift over that of the 1.25". But people couldn't go that route because of the rocker issue on those heads. You'd have to go to a screw in stud and longer push rods or something which messed up the lift anyway.

Great thread, BTW, really enjoyed reading it.