Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Michigan Boarder Engine Blueprint and Build

sgt1970-442

Just planting a seed :biggrin: my season would be over and we'd have 7 months to rebuild a stroker. Would lover to see what you could do with that. Can't wait to see how John's turns out. Would live to meet up and see it in person some time I'm in northern Ohio/ southern mi

pm me what your expectations are and location with a number and we can talk about it.

It's all Latin to me. I'll be commenting on it from the driver's seat though!

Funny story on the dyno: There was a huge car show in Muskegon a few years ago, part of the Hot Rod Power Tour. Lot's of different shows going on, rolling drags along Seaway Drive, an auto cross (which was freaking awesome), etc. There was a place doing the dyno's. I see a Chevelle SS on it and the driver had just fired it up. I grab the family, "we need to go watch this". He goes thru the gears slowly, is in 3rd and slowly ramping it up. Then he just hammers it, the whole car twists, and this thing is roaring. Crowd has hands in the air going nuts. Then BAM, and a cloud of smoke, and the crowd went from "YEAHHH" to "Oooooo".

Please video the milestones like first start, dyno, first in the water start to think of a few. You could get martinarcher to come float in the water with a camera for first WOT drive by.

Edited by Bozboat

Strange but this thread makes me want my Hammerhead to blow up around October. SGT will you be available around that time? :biggrin:

Isn't the HH already pushing 400hp?

@sgt: Some serious intake lift on that baby, it won't lack for air supply. Will be very interesting to see the dyno curves. Where did the compression ratio end up?

if the math is correct, 9.625-1.... also math says 750cfm carb and plenty of gearheads agreed tonight. we have decided if john(MB) wants to dyno this deal, I will pull my carb off my boat which is a 600cfm holley and also my 850cfm quick fuel off my car to see what this thing is going to like. I also have a carb plate to check vacuum with a port for wot readings. as for cam specs, straub technologies was the only one who came up with something for low end brute numbers that made sense.
  • Like 2

I'm envious! I'll be glad when I get to this point on my build. I'm glad to see cam specs with numbers like these. In my opinion the HH cam is quite aggressive for how we use our boats. My cam has just a bit more intake duration (212) but very similar otherwise.

I'm envious! I'll be glad when I get to this point on my build. I'm glad to see cam specs with numbers like these. In my opinion the HH cam is quite aggressive for how we use our boats. My cam has just a bit more intake duration (212) but very similar otherwise.

very first cam I've ever installed that has been spot on and I mean exactly spot on when degreeing it in.

few pics with some paint. valve covers and oil pan will be black. set the performer on it for looks and the arp bolts to hold it down. the olds 400 on the floor is almost finished also. just needs painting. we shimmed the oil pump and got 65psi with 10w-30 oil.

IMG_20140604_205606307_zpsdf8d97b2.jpg

IMG_20140604_211755670_zps021d8ecf.jpg

• Like 2

if the math is correct, 9.625-1.... also math says 750cfm carb and plenty of gearheads agreed tonight. we have decided if john(MB) wants to dyno this deal, I will pull my carb off my boat which is a 600cfm holley and also my 850cfm quick fuel off my car to see what this thing is going to like. I also have a carb plate to check vacuum with a port for wot readings. as for cam specs, straub technologies was the only one who came up with something for low end brute numbers that made sense.

I say we do it. I'll be wearing a helmet around the house, though, cuz she'll be swinging at me with something everytime I walk past her.

So the approach will be dyno with the 600cfm carb, then dyno with the 850cfm carb and see what the HP gains are, correct? See what the difference is, and decide whether that increase in HP is worth a new carb?

Isn't the HH already pushing 400hp?

I think so, since I put on a 15" prop it's performed awesome, but I question it's reliability, might be OCD on my part, but it has it's hiccups every now and then that raise an eyebrow. Plus the "lopey hotrod" cam that supposedly causes my rattling at idle, some say it's normal and some say the cam is about to let loose. It's good to know there's options should something catastrophic happen because there's no way I'd just drop the boat off with someone local and tell them to fix it. The information and knowledge shared in this thread backed up with pics is priceless.

I say we do it. I'll be wearing a helmet around the house, though, cuz she'll be swinging at me with something everytime I walk past her.

What is the cost to dyno?

@sgt: I agree with the carb math. I'll bet a good 600 cfm carb will get most of the curve covered, you might / will just miss the very upper end of the pull, areas not used in reality anyway.

What are you planning to run for exhaust on the dyno? I'm pretty sure marine manifolds vs. dyno headers will significantly effect output/tuning/carb selection etc.

few pics with some paint. valve covers and oil pan will be black. set the performer on it for looks and the arp bolts to hold it down. the olds 400 on the floor is almost finished also. just needs painting. we shimmed the oil pump and got 65psi with 10w-30 oil.

IMG_20140604_205606307_zpsdf8d97b2.jpg

IMG_20140604_211755670_zps021d8ecf.jpg

So mine is bigger then yours! :Tease3:

post-2931-1237831708_thumb.jpg
Getting close! Are you going for HP only or best torque for this setup?
Edited by Sixball
  • Like 2

ok, just to answer a few questions. dyno is 500.00 for 8 hours. woodski, I would say 600cfm is probably going to work,, we just want to see where were at with a couple different carbs.

sixball, bigger isn't always better.....lol.... keep it up though and I can break out a big cube small block olds that can hang with ya....lol.. nice stuff ya got going on there. we are going for best torque curve and I think the horsepower will fall into place nicely. as for exhaust on the dyno,,,, I believe jim said he had a set of 1 3/4 tube headmans. best we can do and remember john bought a set of etx manifolds.

so john its your decision and if ya get knocked in the head its not my fault...

We made them into full Hemi. But not from the factory. But yeper a Ford Hemi.

I agree bigger is not always the best. We ran a destroked Boss 351 337 and ran faster with more weight. It will be interesting to see witch carb will be best. Things just don't go by the book sometimes. When we switched to the small block we did some baseline work with the carbs form the big block. Knowing we would be over carbed. We had some close people at Holly they said they would put some carbs together for us. We including the guys from Holly never got them to run as well as the 1050s

The 1050s were not stock they were done by Scot Shafiroff .

We made them into full Hemi. But not from the factory. But yeper a Ford Hemi.

I agree bigger is not always the best. We ran a destroked Boss 351 337 and ran faster with more weight. It will be interesting to see witch carb will be best. Things just don't go by the book sometimes. When we switched to the small block we did some baseline work with the carbs form the big block. Knowing we would be over carbed. We had some close people at Holly they said they would put some carbs together for us. We including the guys from Holly never got them to run as well as the 1050s

The 1050s were not stock they were done by Scot Shafiroff .

as I said, nice stuff ya got there. shafiroff does some awesome stuff. if you haven't been to Milan in awhile for the Friday heads up series, get there. butch kemp is running a 95 mustang with an sb2 chevy small block in the all motor class and going 7.80's. there is more in the car...he is blowing away all the big block stuff.

as for carb choices, we will see what it likes in the rpm range that I think john uses the boat most and make a decision then. I just think using a couple of different carbs will give us a better idea where

we are headed. just need to make sure john's wife is onboard with the dyno session.