Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Michigan Boarder Engine Blueprint and Build

sgt1970-442

let me know john on the concrete. need pics of the spitshine.....lol

did you get with mike and are the heads coming?

let me know john on the concrete. need pics of the spitshine.....lol

did you get with mike and are the heads coming?

Yessir!

finally got some cylinder heads today. they look great and specs will be checked but, the numbers seem to be on the money so far..

so between a stamped patio and some other projects going on, this engine is really going to start making progress. hopefully a cam, lifters and rockers will be here this week.

IMG_20140507_152038853_zpsb03344cd.jpg

IMG_20140507_192301022_zpse2fc390c.jpg

IMG_20140507_192154436_zps35e38139.jpg

IMG_20140507_192223876_zpsb1827d91.jpg

• Like 3

got a little more accomplished. pistons and rods are assembled. lots of fun putting together full floating pins with dual spiro locks. got the oil ring tension set, it was 24-25lbs on the scale. that's quite a bit of friction. we adjusted to tension to 16-17lbs. with less friction, its like gaining free horsepower. we got the bearing clearances checked and stretched torqued the new rod bolts.

DSCN1061_zps5ecb4254.jpg

DSCN1063_zps2f8e7cb4.jpg

assembled pistons, rods, rings, and bearings bagged and ready to go into the block. we are waiting on the cam before we install the pistons, we will then install only number 1 so we can degree the cam without all the friction of the other 7 pistons. we feel this gives us a finer adjustment when degreeing the cam in.

DSCN1069_zps49ee3dfd.jpg

• Like 3

got some stuff in. new performer intake. custom cam kit from straub technologies. morel lifters, crane rockers, custom ground roller cam, and a little color. also got

a fel-pro marine gasket set, melling hv oil pump, pick up screen, and new professional products harmonic balancer.

IMG_20140513_171502308_zpsd2cf91e5.jpg

DSCN1070_zpse6dd70cb.jpg

more pics of the other parts later

• Like 2

Why did you decide to go with the link style lifters instead of the factory style with the spider?

price. it was the same cost for either and I've used the morel lifters before. they make a great product. besides I like the link bar better than the dog bone because of less separate pieces

to come apart and cause a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

once I get the rocker arms switched from self aligning to the ones used with guide plates it won't be long. john(MB) is not in a hurry. he has a ton of things going on like I do. I haven't even had my boat in the water yet. the boss is on me to get it going though.... hoping we can get john here and the carb re-worked and possibly dyno this thing in a couple weeks.

once I get the rocker arms switched from self aligning to the ones used with guide plates it won't be long. john(MB) is not in a hurry. he has a ton of things going on like I do. I haven't even had my boat in the water yet. the boss is on me to get it going though.... hoping we can get john here and the carb re-worked and possibly dyno this thing in a couple weeks.

Sounds encouraging. But remember last winter? I think this coming winter is schedule to start on 9-1-14.

I hate waiting on parts...

No rush to me, it's a steady project that will come together soon enough. I'd rather that Sgt and I feel 100% as we roll the throttle forward than rush thru something hoping the i's were dotted.

Sgt - I've ran into a snag with the carb choke, I'll call you tonight. And dyno?!? I didn't know we were going to do that, that is great!

No rush to me, it's a steady project that will come together soon enough. I'd rather that Sgt and I feel 100% as we roll the throttle forward than rush thru something hoping the i's were dotted.

Sgt - I've ran into a snag with the carb choke, I'll call you tonight. And dyno?!? I didn't know we were going to do that, that is great!

ok

Strange but this thread makes me want my Hammerhead to blow up around October. SGT will you be available around that time? :biggrin:

yes, but my time is getting really swamped. I am really lucky with john as he is not in a huge hurry and we want this to be a beast for him.

rome was not built in a day and while this could have come together faster, john has been busy and I have been getting slammed.

video of this thing is a must for those who have been following.

• Like 2

yes, but my time is getting really swamped. I am really lucky with john as he is not in a huge hurry and we want this to be a beast for him.rome was not built in a day and while this could have come together faster, john has been busy and I have been getting slammed.video of this thing is a must for those who have been following.

Just planting a seed :biggrin: my season would be over and we'd have 7 months to rebuild a stroker. Would lover to see what you could do with that. Can't wait to see how John's turns out. Would live to meet up and see it in person some time I'm in northern Ohio/ southern mi

• Like 1

And dyno?!? I didn't know we were going to do that, that is great!

:plus1: That is cool, can't wait to see the numbers.

Off topic but my buddy next door finally got the bigger turbo for the motor he built last year in his Neon SRT4. Laid down 402hp and 430ft.lbs. at the wheels. 42 trim turbo, ARP studs, rods, pistons, screamer pipe, straight 4" exhaust, bigger intercooler. 25psi. Best part is it's a total show car, absolutely perfect, not some backyard hack job. And he drives the crap out of it. Dyno guy did a dozen or so pulls (problems communicating with DiabloSport tuner) and came out saying "most motors would be clacking and smoking and begging for mercy by now, yours sounds awesome, great build!"

Proud of the young dude. He knows his stuff, and he did everything but the machine work. If I dig into Vortec heads and a cam he'll be the one helping me for sure.

Edited by jk13
  • Like 1