Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Michigan Boarder Engine Blueprint and Build

sgt1970-442

The difference was the distributor we were using does not advance, it stays at a set point. The distributor that I re-install from the original engine will be set at 10 degrees and I'll check timing at idle, but then I'll check it while on the water: 1 man at the throttle, 1 man at the distributor and 1 man with a timing light, and we will make sure it is advancing to 38.

Do I have that right Sgt.?

john,

total advance might be slightly different with your distributor vs the msd and also different depending on carb set up but 32-38 will be close for total advance.

Boy, if this stuff was any easier, Congress could do it.... :yahoo:

My hats off to you all for your expertise and patience!

Me, I am a motor "Plug & Play" kinda guy, and I am happy to do my tweaking at the prop level.....

Now John, you and we just have to be patient until Spring in Michigan.

Which is HOW MANY Months away?!?

Damn, Levi's thread may just get broken!

• Like 1

Boy, if this stuff was any easier, Congress could do it.... :yahoo:

My hats off to you all for your expertise and patience!

Me, I am a motor "Plug & Play" kinda guy, and I am happy to do my tweaking at the prop level.....

Now John, you and we just have to be patient until Spring in Michigan.

Which is HOW MANY Months away?!?

Damn, Levi's thread may just get broken!

I predict an early spring. Very early. I have recruited 3 guys to be part of a local 6am Saturday morning crew, wake, foot, surf, whatever this summer. That's going to be a blast, finally got some good dudes to get out early and hit it with.

• Like 2

I predict an early spring. Very early. I have recruited 3 guys to be part of a local 6am Saturday morning crew, wake, foot, surf, whatever this summer. That's going to be a blast, finally got some good dudes to get out early and hit it with.

Good for you John...

As you know, I am blessed with the group of guys I have assembled together.

It makes ALL the difference in the world...

You deserve a GREAT year next year.

So it is off to Florida for me for a week starting tonight. Going to go barefooting on Sunday, and then when I return back to Pennsylvania it will be snow skiing every weekend,

Thanks for the detail guys. As many sbc's I've rebuilt and helped with, I never knew about this side of the story.

I love tuning and wrenching on boat engines.

Steve B.

Edited by Steve B.

The Thundervolt IV distributor is a solid shaft with no mechanical advance and uses an electronic module for the advance curve. There are several options that offer different advance curves. Total and rate options exist depending on application or what curve you want.

• Like 1

The Thundervolt IV distributor is a solid shaft with no mechanical advance and uses an electronic module for the advance curve. There are several options that offer different advance curves. Total and rate options exist depending on application or what curve you want.

I've heard of people running the 6-cylinder modules on V-8s for a quicker advance curve, the module thinks the RPM is 33% higher (33% more cylinders firing) than it really is, so the RPM the ignition is advanced at is 33% lower.

The problem with this approach is, I believe those modules aren't too cheap, so experimenting isn't either.

@wheeler wake: the six cylinder curves actually have a delayed or slower / later ramp up curve compared to one used for the tourney ski engines. So the ratio effect won't be 8/6 straight up.

I guess those guys were doing the wrong thing then...

It's waaaay past soon...

I'm busy!!

I'll get some pics once I have the parts put back together. Then engine is sitting in the boat on the mounts with tranny attached, but it is lacking the carb, all cooling components, distributor, muffler, etc. Got holidays coming up, kids are all over the place in different events, then shoulder surgery on 12/29, then some recovery. Probably not until the second or third week in January.