Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Michigan Boarder Engine Blueprint and Build

sgt1970-442

Those are the same valve covers I used... if that block was black, Id be going out to my boat to make sure my engine was still in there! Lol! I must say, you have good taste!

Sgt found those, it was a nice touch. I am working on a design with my wife (graphic designer) to replace the old 350 mag sticker on the flame arrestor to a sticker saying 388 stroker with a chevy bowtie or something. That kinda depends on if I stick with the stock flame arrestor or not.

• Like 1

Sgt found those, it was a nice touch. I am working on a design with my wife (graphic designer) to replace the old 350 mag sticker on the flame arrestor to a sticker saying 388 stroker with a chevy bowtie or something. That kinda depends on if I stick with the stock flame arrestor or not.

Being a redneck, I put one of these on the transom:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-Black-Chrome-383-Stroker-Emblem-4-x-1-5-/231200778156?hash=item35d4a3e7ac&vxp=mtr

Dyno date 11/22/14!

I don't know if it's practical or possible, but if you are able to dyno the engine with the water cooled marine exhaust manifolds, if you have time, how about bolting the old ones on also to see what the difference is? You would become an internet legend.

I don't know if it's practical or possible, but if you are able to dyno the engine with the water cooled marine exhaust manifolds, if you have time, how about bolting the old ones on also to see what the difference is? You would become an internet legend.

I've never dyno'd, so I'll defer to Sgt. on that one.

That's pretty cool actually! Looking on their website there is a "Police Interceptor" emblem that is tempting....

not an option. we have a set of sbc car headers that will have to use. dyno shop does not have a provision to exhaust the water.

when I switched to the etx manifolds from the stock manifolds there was no seat of the pants difference. dyno would show it but my guess would maybe be

3-5 horse difference.

john, you will need to find 388 cid decals or made up. its not a 383

• Like 1

not an option. we have a set of sbc car headers that will have to use. dyno shop does not have a provision to exhaust the water.

when I switched to the etx manifolds from the stock manifolds there was no seat of the pants difference. dyno would show it but my guess would maybe be

3-5 horse difference.

john, you will need to find 388 cid decals or made up. its not a 383

John

I have a Guy that can make you something UNIQUE...

if you want his info, just PM me!

JB

while I won't give the numbers away,, I will leave that for john... we are much more than happy with what the dyno sheets read.. :clap::yahoo:

But, but, but what if he's away for the weekend, then gets busy at work like he's commented on, WHAT THEN SARGE?! WE CAN'T WAIT THAT LONG!!

Just kidding, but not really.

• Like 3

We used 4 carbs - my original, the one off of Steve's Sunsetter (both around 600cfm), a 750 that the shop had on hand and then an 850 from Steve's built car. We also played with the timing at 34, 36 and 38. In the end the engine liked the 850 the best at 38 degrees timing.

We monitored the left and right oxygen at the exhaust, fuel pressure and manifold vacuum. Right now I could put my original carb back on and get 461tq at 4200rpm, 384hp at 4500rpm. I'm fairly sure that I will move to a new carb, but right now bolting my old one back on gets me a whole lot more than what we had stock. HUGE.

• Like 3

W.O.W.

Hope repropping is in the budget! Seems like that should do mid 50s?

Budget....I remember that word......seems like such a long time ago..........yes, yes...........I can see my handwriting.........my wife - there she is........we are talking....she's mad..........I don't remember what happened after that........

Oh yeah - it idles like a kitten!! Just purrs along, not grumbly or at all like it's built. This was a big deal to me too, as it is also our shoreline cruiser. But it comes alive in a big way when the dyno got on it WOT. And it spooled up to around 5200rpms. The power curve falls off before that, but it's still screaming.

490lbft of torque at 3600rpm and 395hp at 4900rpm. That pretty much says it all!

Thanks you Steve (sgt1970-442) for researching all of the components, sending some back and reordering, trouble shooting, an incredible assembly, and overall helping me get a working boat engine again. This power plant will compete with the best of any boat on the water, including the 454 Echelons that were an option. I'll get some pics and stuff up in the next day or two.

Impressive!

Do you have a hp/torque graph or chart?

I must admit, I was a little worried with the time that it took...but as the saying goes...Good thinks happen to those that wait....

Sarge, very nice build and thanks for hanging in there...

John, i felt that smack talking comment `bout our (my) big blocks.... :rofl:

if you can realize those numbers and specs at the prop.....I WILL make the trip to barefoot your boat for sure....without the additional weight of the big block and those numbers, you should have a sweet set up!

my guess is you will top out at about 52.5-53.5 mph...hello gas station, but what the hell, you can always buy more gas....

you will want to look at a the prop I run on my echelon...we can lend you one in the spring to try one out...

• Like 1