Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Michigan Boarder Engine Blueprint and Build

sgt1970-442

I don't know if it is due to the heads you are using, but when I looked into upping to a larger lift cam on my last boat, there were two options, go with bee-hive springs or fly cut the spring seating area to allow full compression of the cam. I understand that is a bit different from what you are experiencing, but did they go with 1.5" springs for the lift? I though I had read that the larger diameter springs had a smaller wire diameter allowing for more lift over that of the 1.25". But people couldn't go that route because of the rocker issue on those heads. You'd have to go to a screw in stud and longer push rods or something which messed up the lift anyway.

Great thread, BTW, really enjoyed reading it.

dealing with the guy who set the heads up in the first place and we have no idea why he used a large diameter spring. he said he did not like the beehive springs. there were a lot of different options and he knew the cam specs before he set them up. well he sent us springs locks and keepers for two different set ups. assembled spring height needs to be 1.800 with the new stuff he sent. we can only get 1.705 at max with the stuff he sent. on vortec heads, cutting the spring pocket is not a great option. you can only cut about .025 before you make them to thin and have water issues. I have them at the machine shop I use and he is working on the best solution.

• 1 month later...

update is yes we have finally got the spring stuff worked out... had to get a taller set of valve covers to clear the roller rockers. hopefully dyno numbers coming real soon

• Like 2

The ONLY video I really want/need to see is with the motor in John's boat and his boat RUNNING and being used with his family ALL SMILES.... :yes:

• Like 2

update is yes we have finally got the spring stuff worked out... had to get a taller set of valve covers to clear the roller rockers. hopefully dyno numbers coming real soon

I hope those valve covers clear the exhaust manifolds.

• Like 1

I posted earlier in this thread, I did the exact build this spring, had to use taller valve covers then I had to use 3/4 inch spacers between the manifolds to the heads. I found them online for 150 bucks, then double gaskets. After that, I had to shave some meat off the inner riser plug because there was still interference between the inner riser plug and the taller valve cover, even with the spacers. I squeaked 340 hp out of mine... keep us posted!

edit: previous post was #216

Edited by Malibu Jordy

plenty of room between the covers and the etx manifolds. I sent john a few pics of it today and if he wants to post them he will. as for a video of the dyno session, john will there and he can post what ever he would like. as I stated a while ago that I have my own business and have just been going crazy over the last 6 months with work. john can tell you how busy I have been and he has only seen a few pics of the jobs I have going on. I actually tore out a garage floor and driveway today before getting to work on john's engine for a bit. so while this has taken much longer than anyone wanted and I've read between the lines on a few snide comments, when this engine is done I will be to.

when this engine is done I will be to

Hopefully not from here. I like all the engine building and other project pictures. That and learned quite a bit from this thread.

Wow, looks good, like the red. What brand valve covers are those? They look aluminum? Those would be a nice upgrade, love me some engine bling.

Edited by Falko

Wow, looks good, like the red. What brand valve covers are those? They look aluminum? Those would be a nice upgrade, love me some engine bling.

Those are 50163 JEG'S Cast Aluminum Valve Covers, about $90 plus shipping.

Thanks on the color, I really like the red/black/silver, it matches up with the boat really well. Sgt actually told me to pick out a color so I went to Napa and that red is a caliper paint that matches up perfectly, so that's what he sprayed it with.

Those are the same valve covers I used... if that block was black, Id be going out to my boat to make sure my engine was still in there! Lol! I must say, you have good taste!